finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: finally... BITWIG STUDIO! beta 'soon'...

Post by ze2be » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Yup, its a sticky situation, because ive been working like this for years. Its a production workflow thing. After Racks came arround I started creating racks with system macros of every plug all along as I was working with new projects. Needed a delay in a track, racked it and set up macros, then saved to be reused later in my ever growing workflow library. Years went by and I have now a large collection of both single, drum and multi chain racks. So.... It appears for the time being I might be in deep shit.. :x

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:51 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
Slightly unrelated - where do you save your instrument and drum racks?

Accept the default using the floppy button or save into your own folder?

Reason I ask is because I started saving my racks into my own folder but when I hit the floppy icon it saves a copy into the library racks folder.

What I want it to do of course is update the one I just dragged into my custom racks folder.

Cheers
I save into my own folders, yes, and those folders are contained within the "library" tab -- for example, inside Library > Instrument Racks> **my folder here** , and same for my effects racks, inside the "Audio Effects Racks" library folder. When I save, it will appear in the correct folder. I'm guessing your problem is because your folders are outside those default folders, perhaps?

edit: i'm away from my studio computer so I can't confirm this, but I think usually it gets the location right, but by default always apends a -1 to the file name, and then I have to delete it (the '-1' text) and confirm overwriting if it's a previously created rack of mine.
-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 am

Well I just keep draging them to a folder in the browser that I have named "racks & tracks". They get a name with a version numbers before they get draged and saved. Live creates a project folder when you do this. Open the project folder in the browser, drag out the rack, and delete the rest.

Edit a Rack
Rename it, eks: "Channel Strip v.0.7"
Drag it to folder in browser
Open the newly created project folder
Drag the rack just outside the project folder
Delete the project folder

Its nice to keep a few rack saves back, just incase you forgot something of importane, or for reference. Mostly I keep about 5 or 6 saves back on the channel strip, and one or two on the others, effects, drum racks, etc. After a while when I feel its a solid candidate, I delete the older saves.

Why keep it outside the Live library? Because its much faster to do backups of this without having to go through the whole Suite library every time.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 am

Hmmm - this is nasty indeed - they should fix this.

I have a similar workaround which is error prone.

I drag it into my folder (which is within the library but I don't think this is significant is it?) and it gets saved - all good.

If I then edit it and drag it in again it puts a suffix of -n where n is the nth save.

So what I do is delete it in the browser first and then drag - but if I forget to drag or something goes wrong then I lose the preset.

Horrible

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 am

you can use a rack with a chain selector for switching between presets...
and saving a bunch of presets together..
a preset can be brought up with a twist of a knob or pressing a midi button
it's editable and savable.. (also saves with your set for backup)

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Yeah I've done this as well but that doesn't really help when the instruments and racks within the giant rack are changing as well.

In fact it may well make it worse because you may forget to save the underlying rack - saving the overlying rack doesn't save any changes to underliers does it?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 pm

soon/so?on/
Adverb:

In or after a short time: "he'll be home soon".
Early: "it was too soon to know".

Synonyms:
shortly - early - presently - anon - before long

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 pm

This is the BitWig development clock, on which the "soon" is based

So, it's completely accurate.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:09 pm

:twisted:

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 pm

It's quite OK for Bitwig to wait until they have a solid release. We don't want another Live 8.0 ....

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 pm

It's quite OK for Bitwig to wait until they have a solid release. We don't want another Live 8.0 ....
You meant "another Live 9" right? :lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm

you can tell when someone is way too involved in this mess... when they combine one company's failure with a completely different company's failure and use that information to predict a somewhat hazy future with a fork in the road.

meanwhile, i've decided to blame the last decade for holding my music back.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Valiumdupeuple wrote:
You meant "another Live 9" right? :lol:
No, Live 9 is more like a starved feature release wanting to compete with the big guys :-).

hec

Post by hec » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 am

Whats the deal with BitWig, how are they able to just rip Ableton? Are these former Ableton people that own this technology or something.

This thing looks like what Ableton 9 should be - "Multiple audio events per clip" "Hybrid tracks" etc. This is some advanced stuff for a new player.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 am

hec wrote:Whats the deal with BitWig, how are they able to just rip Ableton? Are these former Ableton people that own this technology or something.

This thing looks like what Ableton 9 should be - "Multiple audio events per clip" "Hybrid tracks" etc. This is some advanced stuff for a new player.
I guess in the world of DAW making and coding, the developers that actually know how build these things are rare breeds -- in short, it's all about the developers.

That's probably why Studio One is soo freaking sweet eventhough it's only been around for a short time. You know why? The developer was the guy behind Steinberg's Nuendo 8O

That's probably why it rocks so much :D
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)