The old 'controlling hardware with midi rack macros' trick.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

The old 'controlling hardware with midi rack macros' trick.

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:58 am

I have a PodxtLive. I've created some blank midi racks and midi assigned various parameters to them. That midi channel then sends out to the Pod.

The end result is, when I adjust the knobs on the racks (each rack controlling unique parameter, like MOD, STOMP, REVERB, DELAY), the corresponding parameter changes within the Pod.

So far I am trying it using APC40, and Novation Remote. What I'm hoping to be able to do is, select a rack to control an effect. And then adjust the 'blue hand' knobs to change the parameters.

So far my results are drastically unpredictable.

When I tweak using mouse, the Pod updates immediately.

APC, it waits until I stop, hesitates, and then updates. That really blows.

Remote, is just hell and only responds when it feels like it. It might be conflicting with the APC though.

What I'd like to know is if many people have attempted anything similar to this, and if they've had similar results??

Also if anyone has any tips. Especially for blue hand control.

Zygi

Re: The old 'controlling hardware with midi rack macros' trick.

Post by Zygi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 am

Can you elaborate on how to assign midi controls to a macro rack? cause I think I am missing something.

Tried to do that in order to automate & blue hand my electribe, but in the end I've decided to forget about it and get a vst at some point to get nrpns working. Or program a ctrlr vst.

That would be awesome if a native live device existed... But I guess it's up to maxforlive coders.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Yikes. For nrpns I'm not sure it'd update properly.

I went to midi map mode. Chose a macro knob. Twisted my midi control. On bottom left you can select wich type of control it is. Then I exit midi map mode.

When done, I can twist a control and the macro will change. If I have midi in and out both connected, that change will also send back to my controller.

The electribes use the same knobs to adjust settings on multiple pages. I'm not sure if things would work out :/

Edit: also you'd have to check the Electribe midi spec sheet to see what midi info it will receive.

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 am

sure - I'm not expecting nrpns to work ;)

didn't know it's actually possible to map CC's like that, never been a hardware guy. Thanks for the info.

edit. Oh crap, now I've realized how stupid question I had asked. x)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Not that stupid of a question. It shows you are always trying to find solutions I your specific needs. Good luck in your search!

Which Electribe??

pwdm

Post by pwdm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 pm

yur2die4 wrote: When I tweak using mouse, the Pod updates immediately.

APC, it waits until I stop, hesitates, and then updates. That really blows.

Remote, is just hell and only responds when it feels like it. It might be conflicting with the APC though.
Have you tried without one of the controllers. See if that narrows down the problem?
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm

I started a few little variations in setup. I don't remember for sure if I used only one.

I turned midi I/O off for the APC (retaining only control surface). That resolved a conflict that was happening with mapping the PodxtLive. I got kind of caught up in making lots of noises so I didn't finish all my tests. I realized that I can change the Pod to a different midi channel. That might help.

Overall I suspect the primary problem is using blue hand control. I am unsure if it is specific to just me. That is the main reason I've made this post. To see if others experience the same problem. I don't know if it is a 'bug', or just an inconvenience. With Live 9's clip automation comes out, it will definitely make this even more fun :D

I understand that I can just use a midi controller with alllllll the cc's assigned on the controller itself to do automation in clips now, but jumping between racks is just so much more efficient.

grnr

Post by grnr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 am

Not sure if this is helpful, but there is another way of sending midi CCs from macros using Macrobat, which is part of Clyphx. It allows you to just give a macro a special name plus the CC number to send, and it will just work! So you can for instance just make a bunch of empty midi effect racks, name the macros with the appropriate cc numbers, and then twist away, controlling the macros using your controller(s) of choice.