Fading the crossfader

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rockstar

Fading the crossfader

Post by rockstar » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:49 pm

Is there a way to map the keyboard to do smooth crossfades in Live 5b17? I've figured out how to use the keyboard to cut the crossfader to left, middle, and right, but I'm looking for a way to do smooth fades over time. Thanks.

3phase

Re: Fading the crossfader

Post by 3phase » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:04 pm

rockstar wrote:Is there a way to map the keyboard to do smooth crossfades in Live 5b17? I've figured out how to use the keyboard to cut the crossfader to left, middle, and right, but I'm looking for a way to do smooth fades over time. Thanks.
On a laptop you do it with the trackpad..on a stationary computer with the mouse...
thats the little plastic box with a ball or red lamp inside and 1-3 buttons on top .. you go with the so called cursor ( usually a little arrow ) to the crossfader... so that the arrow is touching the crossfaders handle and press the left mouse button.. keep holding down the left mouse button and move the mouse to the right..you will see that the crossfader will move to the right aswell..with the same speed you move the mouse.. voilá..a crossfade .-)

rockstar

Re: Fading the crossfader

Post by rockstar » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:02 pm

Yeah, I figured out how to do it with the mouse/trackpad. I was wondering if there's a way to do smooth crossfades with the keyboard. That would provde a lot more control when I'm playing out. Thanks for the help.

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Hi rockstar,
If you have a standard midi controller keyboard with a modulation wheel, you can assign that as a midi controller to the crossfader. Click the midi button on the top right of the live window, click the crossfader, and move your modulation wheel. A little box should appear showing you which midi channel and controller number you have assigned. Click the midi button again and you should be able to move the fader with your mod wheel. Or any other controller on the keyboard such as a knob or slider, long as it sends midi and your keyboard is connected.

cooooooool :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:41 pm

go here:
http://vinuesa.club.fr/projet-flou/english/general.htm

and check out the tools section. you could use the multi-midi controller or the joystick controller and maybe have slower crossfades using the attack/release settings for a cc i think.
it's kind of complicated to explain, but if you send the output of the plugin to a remote control input of live and assign one of the knobs (in the plugin) to the crossfader, you should then be able to assign a key to trigger that knob using the live vst gui. you can then adjust the attack and release for that knob so that it slowly fades. as you can use the same cc with several knobs i'm assuming you could assign several different keys with different crossfade times depending on the attack/release settings you use.

hope this makes sense. i haven't actually tried it (at work!) but i think it should be doable. all fades will be linear though, and you might get better results using bidule or energy xt or something. if you use the method above though, it'll all be saved in one set without running another program behind live.... guess it comes down to preference.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

rockstar

Re: Fading the Crossfader

Post by rockstar » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:50 am

telekom,

Thanks for the info. I was unclear in my vocabulary and was actually looking for a way to do smooth crossfades using my LAPTOP's keyboard. I have a MIDI keyboard at home but I don't travel with it.

###

Clearscreen,

That looks like it might work. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

###

Abletoners,

Why not allow smooth crossfades using the computer's keyboard?

stuffe

Post by stuffe » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:44 pm

Click the fader once with the mouse, and use the left and right arrow keys to move it across a notch at a time.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:47 am

Click the fader once with the mouse, and use the left and right arrow keys to move it across a notch at a time.
or if your on mac get a griffin powermate and map it to arrows for this kind of thing. doesn't work this way on pc though, and according to griffin support they don't know why and thats pretty much that!
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:06 am

It'd be cool if the crossfader had the same little arrow buttons on each side like the crossfader on Traktor... that would do the trick.

While we're on the subject... anyone else wish there were choices of crossfade curves? I want to cut like a b-boy and get my crabclaw flowin and launch a couple orbiters yo.