Small Venue Sound Reinforcement Advice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What do you use for sound in a very small venue?

Same thing I'd use in a club but turned down
33%
10" loud speakers with a sub
33%
12" loud speakers with a sub
33%
12" loud speakers with no sub
No votes
studio monitors with a sub
No votes
studio monitors with no sub
No votes
hand-built 6x9 boxes from my '81 Buick Regal
No votes
I don't play no stinkin small venue
No votes

Total votes: 3

Levous

Small Venue Sound Reinforcement Advice

Post by Levous » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 am

I searched and found nothing. Perhaps I'm not using the right keywords...

I am curious as to what some of you are using for live shows in small venues. Think more in-store retail or coffee shop and less club.

Presently, I am running two 12" tops but with one on the floor as a floor monitor with 900watts total power. The master faders are somewhere in the 1 to 2 range and it gets a little boomy for the room. Id like to reduce the overall volume and increase the dynamic range. I'm thinking of smaller monitors (10" or smaller) with a small sub. But perhaps a pair of decent studio monitors, paired with a sub, would suffice.

Furthermore, does anyone ever try to plug into the overhead speakers in such a venue to get better coverage throughout the store without having to blast the people in the front?

What do you use as a nice, small room, live setup?

thanks

Re: Small Venue Sound Reinforcement Advice

Post by 102455 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm

What type of music (genre) are you playing?

If I was providing PA in a small space for "light music" then I'd go with a pair of 10" full range cabs (I use RCF ART 310A) on tripods.

If I was DJing, running a bit louder and playing dance music then I'd put them on poles over 15" subs.

You can always turn a big system down, and it's nice to have some bass depth.

I have a DEQ2496 if I need to tweak the sound.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm

I used to have a full P.A. but since i decided i hate doing live sound for other bands i decided to sell it off lol.

I do have a Roland KC 500 which is very awesome full range stereo amp.
we have used this for small venues, parties, and coffee shops when they didn't have sound or in the event of sound issues.

also for venues that have a sound system I use it as our stage monitor so that I have control of the on stage sound.
I have even been involved in a party with a few other bands that all hand roland kc 500's
we linked 2 together for the "mains" and 2 for the monitors.

Even if you have a full P.A. i think it is really handy to have one to use as a monitor/back up
you may find that in allot of small venue, especially coffee shops and house parties, it will be perfect.
other side note... we purchased the KC500 used 6 years ago and it is still kicking strong.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a set of self powered QSC HPR15i 3 way tops with the matching 15" subs. My rig can handle very large rooms; however, I still use them in smaller rooms just turned down.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 pm

I've got a brutal back breaking system at the moment. Two JBL dual 15" cabs with some crap Peavy head from the 80's.

I'm getting probably the Mackie SRM450s. Small enough to lug around, large enough to be a PA in a tiny space.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 pm

I have 2 Mackie HD 1521's and a HD 1801.
Love them for large or small venues.

As stated above, I like there to be some bass.
Fill up the room making low volumes still, "feel" full volume.

I have asked to be piped through overhead speakers before to keep from blasting sound out of the PA spot.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Studio monitors will not be loud enough...they are not designed to throw any distance.

Add a sub only if you need a really deep sound, it's not actually needed in a small room otherwise. If you don't have a good EQ to tweak bass for the room, get one (an EQ8 on your master might work well enough)

Gear Rule #1: use what you own until you have enough paying gigs that need something different

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:45 pm

doghouse wrote: Add a sub only if you need a really deep sound, it's not actually needed in a small room otherwise.
Except you get somewhat clearer response from small elements when sub frequencies are first cut off.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

Levous

Post by Levous » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Great advice folks. Thanks!

I wasn't really considering RCF but have just gathered a quick education and those look like the ideal cabs. One can always add a sub, later, and I likely will. In the mean time, I'll be shopping for a pair of RCF.

I'm picking up a Allen & Heath Zed14 next week. I have a Zed10 to use for now but I want the faders rather than knobs.

One step closer to nirvana (the state of mind, not the band)

cheers