Why is WINDOWS way better than OSX for Music Software?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wjbuchanan

Re: Why is WINDOWS way better than OSX for Music Software?

Post by wjbuchanan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Man, I should have known better than to reply to a topic like this...I guess it was inventible that it'd turn into a slagging match.

Since this thread crops up AGAIN and AGAIN, and new users also ask it, perhaps we should make a OSX/Windows pros/cons/similarities sticky?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 pm

more like deleted.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:18 pm

pencilrocket has more Apple knowledge than most haters, almost to the point of being a self loathing Apple fanboy mult. Almost.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:43 pm

people who use macs fart a lot.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm

the charge that apple products are overpriced is widespread and not (necessarily) 'hate'

apple has record profits, extremely happy shareholders, and the highest tech company market capitalization of any tech company, second only to exxonmobile overall

to some extent you are paying for all that a well as a lot of design costs and marketing/advertisement, which is huge, especially for apple...your are paying quite a bit for the cache' and that light on the back of the screen

so, hate is a bit to easy, a copout to looking at the basic economics...if apple were making twice as good a product it might be justified, but judging by the comments, problems and other shortcomings of apple they are not twice as good, let alone allowing any producer make 'better' music...

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm

This would be a great time for a Linux user to say they have high radiation BO but have also contributed to slowing Alzheimers thanks to analysis software only available on BioSLAX. Wait, would that be a hipster biologist?
ImageImage

metasymbol

Post by metasymbol » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Sorry, serious. windows is not better for music software.

OSX is IME better for music software. Serious.

Sometimes I think, here are too many people with too much time talking stupid things.
Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:39 pm

metasymbol wrote: Sometimes I think, here are too many people with too much time talking stupid things.
imo there are not enough people here with too much time talking stupid things. but this is better than not having enough time to talk about stupid things.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:35 pm

simmerdown wrote: so, hate is a bit to easy, a copout to looking at the basic economics...if apple were making twice as good a product it might be justified, but judging by the comments, problems and other shortcomings of apple they are not twice as good, let alone allowing any producer make 'better' music...
So pencil is your mult? :wink:

I kid, but really? twice as good??? Price out a similar laptop to a midrange macbook pro and it's more like $1,550PC to $1,700Mac.
I'm generally willing to pay an extra $100 for the back lit keyboard, Gigibit ethernet etc. Mostly at this point the Mac Pros are seriously overpriced, but mainly because they use the Xeon chips which don't make any computer cheap. Apple has always had overpriced PC's but in the last 11 years the laptops have come down to reasonable levels.
Plus, and I'm not trying to be harsh here, but Apple users tend to flip the fuck out the first time they have any issue without looking for a solution thinking "it's supposed to just work!" which is silly at best. Whereas PC users expect it to not work and spend time making it work. A generalization I know, but using the internet as an example of where OSX is at isn't going get you any results that are relevant. In reality both platforms have been solid for audio for a long time, and the issues are generally fixed with a decent machine.

This really isn't the thread or forum for logical debate on Mac VS PC though. :lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:47 pm

^ if you're willing to pay 100 extra for gigabit ethernet... your arguments are invalid. if it isn't standard on something you're buying... you're being ripped off.

that Macbook price you quoted up there probably comes with a 5400 rpm hard drive and few other less than wonderful features too. whereas for that PC price you should basically have no options left... other than maybe a glowing alien on the lid.

not trying to fuel the flames but i think you're being overly generous in one direction and slightly stingy in the other.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm

nobody's mult, i got multiple personalities all under one handle

but, those are some very biased numbers (i say without actually looking up, lol)....i can get a super quad core machine at costco right now , 8gb with one Tb hardrive, 17 inch...for $600....thats all i would need for years...and i like my hp backlight, lol....seriously

so make that: 3 times as good?

(this is called doubling down)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm

H20nly wrote: not trying to fuel the flames but i think you're being overly generous in one direction and slightly stingy in the other.
Probably, but it's a stupid debate, really. Do people argue about whether Mercedes is overpriced compared to a Lexus? or whether a Volkswagen is overpriced compared to a Chevy?
I'm not the cheapest contractor you could hire, but I'm certainly not willing to go to the lowest price point I can just to get certain customers that demand the best product for the lowest price. In the end your house will still be repaired and if you're lucky the cheap guys job will last as long as mine did. I'm licensed bonded and insured, and went to trade school. I'm not willing to match the lowballers, period, and from that perspective I don't look for the cheapest in order to "save".
Essentially if you want to buy a Dell buy a Dell, but arguing that Apple need to match Dells price points is essentially ignoring that Apple have always had people who will buy their products because they like them, period. Arguing constantly that anybody that doesn't buy the cheapest PC laptop with the best specs is a mac fanboy is trolling bullshit and I must have been bored to have jumped into this, because in the end of the day I don't really give a shit what anybody else uses, or what they think of my buying choices. :lol:

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm

hey i never said mac fanboy, i hate that word 'fanboy'

i get that people just like them

i like fritos, not cheetohs, so it goes, no judgements

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 pm

What? Cheetohs are way better than Fritos. Wtf is wrong with you?
Let me guess, you don't judge food by its taste but how messy it is to eat? Not that you would admit it...
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 pm

simmerdown wrote: i like fritos, not cheetohs, so it goes, no judgements
and I like organic food, but again, I'm not saying I'm now destined to outlast you in life expectancy, I just prefer the taste, but organic blue corn chips fried in oil are still corn chips fried in oil! :lol: