Drum Racks: Previewing sounds/samples?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darkenedsoul

Re: Drum Racks: Previewing sounds/samples?

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Aight, lemme see if I remember what this is about....

So you have samples you want to be able to choose from and from what I have read people said Sampler <- drop all your kicks into one of these, then drop it onto a drum rack pad. Conceivably this makes it 128x128 samples total if a) you have that many, b) you have enough physical memory in system to do it (if it's a memory hog this way), and c) you have sampler, right?

I have been debating on setting something like this up for NI's Battery 3 samples for snare, bass, flam, rolls, timpani, cymbals of say a half dozen apiece (starting small here). Would this be feasable going about it that way using sampler? I have Suite 8 so I have all instruments and then some (NI K2/5/7/8). The main reason is while working on a pattern I can have various samples to choose from while it is looping then go to next track and do the same for next sample (track 1 midi snare pattern, track 2 midi bass pattern, etc...) and be able to twiddle a knob on a controller (for me LPD8) to switch through the samplers as things are playing looped to get tones/sounds that are agreeable to each other in the progressions.

So I guess I'll go watch that video and I have BlipDrums since I helped beta test it some time ago. Perhaps that would work instead if I can just replace or change out the samples.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

DS, you mentioned you weren't sure about the overhead of using the 128s with so many instances of Simpler/Sampler -- just wanted to let you know the foot print is (somehow) incredibly small. I don't really understand it lol.

Also, you can do the same thing with Simpler, it's just not as fast and easy as auto assigning a big set of samples. Since you have Suite, definitely use Sampler. For someone reading this who just has Live 8, use Simpler instead, it's still a pretty good trick.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:25 pm

you would never need 128 128's either, i have 10-12 and thats kept me busy two years

the footprint is small because the samples arent actually in there, just referenced from there, same way Live works as a whole..if not in use, a bzillion paths cost no cpu

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Yeah, unless you are Neil Pert! lolz, one of my all-time favorite drummers (and alex lifeson one of 2 of my favorite all-time guitarists - the other is Robin Trower. And geddy is no slouch either...just a bit on the funky looking side and most people just can't stand his voice....oh well!). But for me I'd only really be using this as a tool to get the sounds I want that work together....but for me same can be done by sampling the audio via the little icon in the browser. I actually just copied samples I was going to use to a new folder and just go there for those particular snare/flam/cymbal stuff (for martial style).

But I'll still watch the video when I get a chance, so far behind on all this crap....I feel old (well I am though HAHAHA).
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

weswook

Post by weswook » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:19 am

Old thread but this topic is very relevant to my work flow. I use super racks, kind of over it, but am looking for something like Reason's Redrum module. I want to quickly arrow down my sample list and preview the sound within my mix. Anybody out there using something cpu friendly for this? Does Battery do this? Thanks!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:53 am

weswook wrote:Old thread but this topic is very relevant to my work flow. I use super racks, kind of over it, but am looking for something like Reason's Redrum module. I want to quickly arrow down my sample list and preview the sound within my mix. Anybody out there using something cpu friendly for this? Does Battery do this? Thanks!
What's wrong with 128s, mentioned two posts above yours?!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 pm

I don't use 128s because they don't work with multisampled drums. If you are making hiphop, or house, or some other genre where 1 sample = 1 drum then I guess they work well, not for anything I do though. I always use multisampled drums.

weswook

Post by weswook » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:48 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
weswook wrote:Old thread but this topic is very relevant to my work flow. I use super racks, kind of over it, but am looking for something like Reason's Redrum module. I want to quickly arrow down my sample list and preview the sound within my mix. Anybody out there using something cpu friendly for this? Does Battery do this? Thanks!
What's wrong with 128s, mentioned two posts above yours?!
Super racks are drum rack with many 128s included, that's what I currently use. There's lots to love, but it's not ideal for how I want to work. I don't want to be limited by what's in my 128, nor do I want to keep making 128s. I want to browse through my kick folder using arrow keys and hear what any one of those kicks will sound like in the mix. I can currently do this in Reason's Redrum module rewired to Live, I'm wondering if there is a VST that will accomplish the same thing.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:54 pm

If you are using a drum rack, you can just use the hot swap button. Click that, and it sends you to your library, in the folder where that sample is held. You can then scroll up and down and press enter, and it swaps the sample to a different one. You can continue to do this until you are satisfied.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

weswook

Post by weswook » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 am

ttilberg wrote:If you are using a drum rack, you can just use the hot swap button. Click that, and it sends you to your library, in the folder where that sample is held. You can then scroll up and down and press enter, and it swaps the sample to a different one. You can continue to do this until you are satisfied.
Brilliant! That'll do. Thanks for the trick.