Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Re: Ableton 9: A message to HQ and the Community

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:59 pm

condra

Post by condra » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:20 am

I hate the new colours but don't really care anymore. At least they got rid of the weird white boxes on the forum.

I'm using the Live 9 beta and it hasn't changed much for me, though I know Session Automation will be a huge pull for some people.

Personally, I'm disappointed at the amount of device improvement/refinement, which is almost none at all. A couple of tweaks to Operator, Beat Repeat and Reverb would have gone a really long way for me.

There are also some outstanding bugs from Live 8 which have still not been addressed, such as the play button staying lit under certain conditions, Operators ladder filters causing clipping, and the infuriating fact that Live still accepts right-click-off on the context menu (OSX), causing many accidental context menu clicks on waveforms.

This of course will all be forgiven as soon as I buy Push, which I know will be absolutely amazing.

Ableton certainly do feel like a completely different company now than when I first got on board around v4. Less "touchy feely", but they're still making great software.

Regarding this forum. It's not exactly Tellytubbyland, but it's certainly more friendly now than a couple of years ago.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:25 am

condra wrote:Personally, I'm disappointed at the amount of device improvement/refinement, which is almost none at all. A couple of tweaks to Operator, Beat Repeat and Reverb would have gone a really long way for me.
i read on another forum, that shall remain nameless, that the reverb had been greatly improved... are you not seeing that? is there perhaps another reverb stashed in the devices?

i suppose i can answer my own question when i crack open the beta here in the next few minutes, but i'm interested in your thoughts/experience with it so far.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 am

I see no reverb improvements.
I DO see a lot of people confusing M4L devices with native Live devices.
condra wrote: Personally, I'm disappointed at the amount of device improvement/refinement, which is almost none at all. A couple of tweaks to Operator, Beat Repeat and Reverb would have gone a really long way for me.
I feel like this could apply to a lot of things. I'm surprised at the lack of "little tweaks."
Maybe this is due to Live 8 offering so much difference from Live 7?

It's the little things like,I can not midi map to the Track Input and adjust the range so I can assign a button to toggle between INPUT and AUTO.
In a rack I can't Map to Auto Filter waveform and reverse it's range.

We have session automation but not even a right click on parameter and "store value."

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:02 am

Noobs who can't pick good plugin themselves make Ableton spare their time to develop plugins. Then less fundamental update has come. It is a sort of retributive justice.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 am

audio to midi + push
if live 9 is stable it is going to be amazing and a game changer for electronic music composition
i can't wait!!!

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:54 am

ambientidm wrote:audio to midi + push
if live 9 is stable it is going to be amazing and a game changer for electronic music composition
i can't wait!!!
Just sayin', Live 8 (for me) = stable as Lindsey Lohan's mental state, while Live 9 = stable as.....I don't know, something that is really, really stable.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 am

i can't wait!!!

game changer how exactly?

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:44 am

Slightlydelic wrote:
i can't wait!!!

game changer how exactly?
for one you can rip any recording into midi
like a miles davis trumpet solo for example or gil evans arrangements without know squat about reading or writing
the push controller allows you to set the grid to specific scales which will also make chord inversions and voice leading easy to see
i have been dreaming about this for years
this will be tons of fun with arps and note repeat
beat boxing drum loops into drum kits
i can't wait to try this on some zakir hussain

8 was a nightmare for me with third party plugins
i hope that isn't the case with 9
6 was very stable for me

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 am

SpeedKing wrote:
i can't wait!!!
Just sayin', Live 8 (for me) = stable as Lindsey Lohan's mental state, while Live 9 = stable as.....I don't know, something that is really, really stable.

i use tons of third party and 8 crashes 9.5 out of 10 sessions
i used 6 before 8 and never had those problems

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 am

ambientidm wrote:for one you can rip any recording into midi
like a miles davis trumpet solo for example or gil evans arrangements without know squat about reading or writing
the push controller allows you to set the grid to specific scales which will also make chord inversions and voice leading easy to see
i'd say that those changes are closer to "easier to play in key" and "easier to copy other people's playing style" rather than game changing... Its not "we can slice up breakbeats and take music somewhere that turntable djs could never go" is it?

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:27 pm

oddstep wrote:
ambientidm wrote:for one you can rip any recording into midi
i'd say that those changes are closer to "easier to play in key" and "easier to copy other people's playing style" rather than game changing... Its not "we can slice up breakbeats and take music somewhere that turntable djs could never go" is it?
as far as voice leading is concerned the diatonic grid will be very powerful from a visual standpoint
i recommend this book for everyone
http://www.amazon.com/Almanac-Guitar-Vo ... k+goodrick

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

yeah, I dont see any of this stuff as "game changing,"
everything PUSH does is what users expected from the APC40 and never got unless you used NativeKontrol, M4L or some form of that.
These solutions/workarounds still could not execute efficient results.

PUSH looks great to me, and I will get one, but the concept is not ground breaking, it was anticipated and expected.
Considering Maschine was released around the same time as the APC40, PUSH is running late.

When I think about Recording Automation to Session, it's not like WOW, it's more like its about fucking time DUH, finally.

Audio to midi is great, but it also opens the flood gates.

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 am

Machinesworking wrote:I'm fine with the new features. The main feature overlooked in your opinion is dual monitor support. It's my firm contention that Ableton will not budge on this. Early interviews with Gerhard Behles (the CEO or whatever of Ableton) had him flatly declaring his annoyance at floating windows, and that translates to the single window where even the embedded plug ins are not floating. So for the last 12 years or so that Live has been around they haven't changed course. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The Automation issue in regards to PDC is the only one that I think is truly missing. Like a lot of users I'm not affected by it, but I respect the complaint for sure. :)
It's really surprising for me ... : Many people don't get the reason why many Ableton's users (i'm one of them) are complaining for the lack of dual monitor support in Live ... This is NOT a question of "space", we simply want to have a "mixer window" and a separated "arrangement window" just like all other DAWS users can have ! And Live IS a DAW (and a very good one !) How can You say that it's mainly a Sw dedicated to Live Performances purposes ? Maybe it was so in very early versions but now You can use Live in Recording Studios for producing ... and a DAW MUST have dual monitor support ... I simply don't understand this "resistance" ...
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 am

MAGNETO_66 wrote: It's really surprising for me ... : Many people don't get the reason why many Ableton's users (i'm one of them) are complaining for the lack of dual monitor support in Live ... This is NOT a question of "space", we simply want to have a "mixer window" and a separated "arrangement window" just like all other DAWS users can have ! And Live IS a DAW (and a very good one !) How can You say that it's mainly a Sw dedicated to Live Performances purposes ? Maybe it was so in very early versions but now You can use Live in Recording Studios for producing ... and a DAW MUST have dual monitor support ... I simply don't understand this "resistance" ...
You're ignoring the part in my post that pertains to this:
Machinesworking wrote:Early interviews with Gerhard Behles (the CEO or whatever of Ableton) had him flatly declaring his annoyance at floating windows, and that translates to the single window where even the embedded plug ins are not floating. So for the last 12 years or so that Live has been around they haven't changed course. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
It's quite simply their DAW, they design it. If you really need dual monitor support get one of the other full featured DAWs, because like I said 10+ years says very flatly that they aren't going to change because we all think it would be better. I'm not arguing that I agree with them. I've had dual monitor set ups and IMO considering that most of us use a laptop, and hook it to a larger screen at home we de facto have a dual monitor set up. But Ableton are not budging, hell the interface hasn't really changed in 10 years either!