How do I load wav files into ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Delanotron

How do I load wav files into ableton?

Post by Delanotron » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:50 pm

I have ableton 8 intro and apparently you are supposed to be able to just drag and drop the files directly into ableton, but nothing happens. Is this because it's only the intro version of ableton?

infernal.machine

Re: How do I load wav files into ableton?

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Where are you dragging them into? Make sure you're dragging them into a clip slot in session or the timeline in arrangement view. Also, try hovering for a couple seconds over the place you want to drop it.. sometimes it takes a bit to register.

Delanotron

Post by Delanotron » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks man, but still nothing. Everywhere i try to drop it I am seemingly unable.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Hmm, before I bought Live, I had Live Lite Intro, and I swear I was able to do this (I'm fairly sure). In Session View, do you have a new "Audio" track created? If not, then do that. Then try (again) to drag the .wav file into one of the clips. When you hover over the clip with the .wav file still attached, it should maybe take a few seconds, but your .wav file should pop in there.

When you click/hold a .wav file, and hold it on the Live program instance in the task bar (assuming Windows), does Ableton maximize and come up? And then if so, if you continue to drag the .wav file into an audio track/clip, does the file look like it still exists in your held-mouse-button, or is the file no longer there where your cursor is?

ksonic

Post by ksonic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Make sure you have QuickTime installed.

I had the same problem and installing QuickTime fixed it.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

Delanotron

Post by Delanotron » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks guys. I installed quicktime, but still nothing. I am getting quite frustrated. I downloaded a wav file and have no clue how to get it on ableton. It is not the built in wav files. Those work fine.

merges

Post by merges » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:25 am

FWIW, this may not be what you're experiencing, but I've tried using sound files from old Reason soundbanks (which, in those cases, had uppercase .WAV extensions) that Ableton considers "invalid." Maybe your WAVs don't conform to the standard. If you can open the files in another audio editor, try converting them in that editor first.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 am

its not a REX file is it? intro doesn't support those guys.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:51 am

Delanotron wrote: It is not the built in wav files. Those work fine.
Well, if other wav files work fine then it means there is something particular about that specific wav file you are trying to work with. Like others suggested, try opening it in a sound editor and see if it plays and how it differs from the wav files that work in Live.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm

download audacity and drag it in there.

or upload it on a website and we can try and drag it into Live