How do i create a key signature in ableton 8?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
onelove3333

How do i create a key signature in ableton 8?

Post by onelove3333 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 am

Looking for a menu in Live 8 that would allow me to create a key signature C minor...

I have searched everywhere. but i can not believe a so called music software doesn't make use of key signatures?
This can't be true A music software that doesn't allow for key changes hahaha. It should just be called a video game if that is true.

I must be missing something.

Thanks

yur2die4

Re: How do i create a key signature in ableton 8?

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:53 am

1. Your presumptions have a tinge of ignorance. However, seeing that you are trying the software out I give you credit for expanding your horizons ;)

2. There is a midi scale effect. This will limit keys to be within a scale but does not make up for accidentals.

3. There is a technique demonstrated somewhere by another user where you can create clips with notes of a scale before a sequence, then hit 'fold', leaving only those notes.

True though, Live's note information always shows sharps which is a bit awkward. A TRUE music program though, wouldn't be limited by the mere 12 tone system. Pssshhh

onelove3333

Post by onelove3333 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 am

:?

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 am

Are you looking to print sheet music? If so, live is not for you. Are you looking to display key changes in your sets? This can be done by changing the names of clips or naming locators.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 pm

He had a nice thorough response about how experienced he is with multiple music softwares and how he is already fully aware of the techniques plus understands the shortcoming. But would also really appreciate it if Ableton implemented key sig options.

I believe he just really loves Ableton and sees potential for it to grow and wanted to vent a frustration.

Maybe Max4Live will offer solutions :)

onelove3333

Post by onelove3333 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey guys that is awesome response yes i am new to Ableton forum but not new to the software. I have been working with all software, Cubase 6.5, Reason 6, Meldony studio 3, Ableton 5,6, and now 8, Pro Tools, Halion, Komplete 8 for many years. I was frustrated. No Ableton is not a video game. haha Ya i do love Ableton I have talked to them at Naam, and they are all great ppl.

I do hope that they will one day consider adding key signatures. Creating music and not knowing how to read music is strange concept to me.

Look forward to talking to all you guys.

Stay blessed. And Thanks!!

the_muffin_man

Post by the_muffin_man » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Why do you need to do this? Are you planning to print off sheet music from Ableton? If so, well, (just like the other guy said) you can't do this from Ableton. Please let me know; I want to help.

Vios

Post by Vios » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 am

I have several tracks that don't follow normal keys, or that pop an odd flat or sharp. It's good to stay in key, but there are times to break the rules too :D

One thing I do a lot (almost always), is I compose and do everything in C major/A minor and then use the pitch MIDI effect to change keys. That way I just work on the white keys, except for when I find that need for an odd note.

floortomhanks

Post by floortomhanks » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:47 am

Hey all,
it would be pretty swell if you could set a key signature...I do a lot of writing in ableton, and I simply export the midi files into a notation software...anyhow, the fact that it defaults to sharps can be a nuisance. I also make a lot of music in ableton where I never think about what key something might be in, so I also understand why it doesn't. .. .
my two cents worth on a years old thread.
woot.

onelove3333

Re: How do i create a key signature in ableton 9.5?

Post by onelove3333 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:13 pm

I am using 9.5 now. At least Push will show you the key sig.
It would be so nice to be able to score in Ableton and print music with the correct accidentals.

Also if they could, on the arrange page have a place to change the view, so the Tracks are on
the left side!!

It seems like such a simple thing to do. To be able to change the view of the arrange page and add
a key sig that shows accidentals.

The other would be to have the capability to open more than one midi track so you can look at chord voicing and
harmonies.

Over all i still recommend Ableton for its speed to get work done fast. It is amazing how many people just export
their tracks to another daw to finish the song.

Samimnot

How do I create a key-signature in ableton Live 10?

Post by Samimnot » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:34 am

What this discussion IS NOT;

An opportunity to question the desire to use key-signature guides, deprecate their usefulness, or dismiss or criticize those who want (or need) them.

What this discussion IS;

Is there some CONVENIENT (convenient) way to set key-signatures in Ableton Live 10, without paying more money?

I just purchased Ableton Live 10. I have been using an online midi sequencer that lets me set key signatures, freely. Musically this has opened up the complexity and dynamism of my pieces. It also provides a nice guide for a newbie to music writing. I talked to the guys at Sweetwater and for a newbie they recommended Ableton Live, which I then purchased from them for about $100. When I tried the software, I was sorely disappointed that Ableton robbed their introductory software users of something as fundamental as the ability to set the key-signature.
I know we all need to make a buck, but to sell intro software without that, and then force you to pay more for that feature as part of an upgrade takes quite a bit of nerve. It's a bit like selling a car that requires you to be a trained mechanic and use your own tools... to change the gears. And, then when you complain the dealer just says, "It's not our fault if you're not much of a mechanic. You just need to buy our dealer-only shifter lever for X-number of dollars." Considering driving requires efficient shifting, all of the time, and shifting is one of the hardest things for newbies, it is quite a trick and gouge to do that, and most companies would not and have not descended that far. I think it's dishonorable.
I would like to know if there is a very simple workaround for this issue... and yes, it is an issue. Is there some way to set key-signatures, that doesn't involve buying anything more? I would love a sincere solution- IF IT EXISTS. But, considering how many replies and help has been given to other posts on this subject (maybe 3 in 7 years... no solutions and a lot of pretending to be helpful), I suppose this is a policy decision from higher ups, and avoiding Ableton products from now on will be my only option, as it's likely no real solution exists, and the program is probably designed to make a real solution difficult, and inconvenient to implement.

Thank you for the help!!!

(The following statement will be true, if and only when I do not get a sincere, forthright solution: "Can't wait to return it and find something else from someone less greedy and more forthright!")