How to make VSTs and Internet browser work at the same time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: How to make VSTs and Internet browser work at the same time?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

login wrote:it's sound card dependent I belive, I can do it on RME UC
nope. I've seen many people do this on many platforms over the years. the forum has never produced a conclusion that some people just can't do this it's just a little frustrating to setup.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

t0mek220

Post by t0mek220 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Tone Deft wrote:use ASIO4ALL, it will let you run multiple audio sources at once.

you just have to make sure all the pieces of software are running at the same sample rate.
But I use ASIO4ALL. How do I make sure about the sample rate? It's 44100 at Massive but how about Firefox and stuff for example? Changing driver manually won't be good to me. I often speak on Skype while using Ableton.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm

it's in your OS settings and Live's settings. I'd think that Massive would take on the sample rate of the DAW it's used in.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

t0mek220

Post by t0mek220 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Found it in Ableton, it's the same as in Massive but in OS settings? Can't find it anywhere.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm

well, what OS?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

t0mek220

Post by t0mek220 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 pm

As I said before it's Windows 7

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 am

I didnt think asio4all could do this anymore. It did many years ago but at some point they pulled that ability out and then many forum questions ensued

It just depends on your soundcard drivers. I do this with my audio kontrol 1 so the NI drivers can do this, hosting an app using asio while the windows system uses whatever it is its using and has sound from both

t0mek220

Post by t0mek220 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm

So it's possible to solve my problem?

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 pm

so, when you're using the windows mixer, there are many things that can be included in the audio. this means the driver has a built-in mixer, and possibly audio effects, which inevitably cause higher latency.

asio is designed to get around this by giving one application sole access to the hardware, and putting as little between you and the output as possible - no weird effects and more importantly no mixer latency. you get the lowest latency this way, at the cost of no other applications able to use the audio.

you can have it use windows audio, at the cost of higher latency - directX seems to work the best here - and then you can share.

you said massive doesn't work if you use windows audio... that might imply you have multiple audio devices. if that's true, then you can go into the asio4all setup and disable devices you don't want. for instance, i have a pod x3 live and emu 0404 usb hooked into mine (at least, at home). if I use asio4all, i can include both devices + the onboard realtek all at once (not perfect but it works). that doesn't let me use itunes though to practice with if i want to and don't feel like importing tracks into live one by one. my solution: turn off the pod x3 live (and the internal audio) in asio4all, set the computer in control panel to default to the pod x3 live for audio out, run the spdif out from the pod to the emu spdif in, set to monitor, voila, it works. If all you want to do is be able to skype using built-in audio and mic while you use live with your fancy external soundcard, then you just have to tell asio4all not to own the device, and you can do it.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:06 pm

t0mek220 wrote:I've downloaded Massive and opened in Ableton. I had to choose audio device, so I chose ASIO (i guess it's the only one device that support VSTs?) and then the problem appeared. When i have Ableton or even only Massive opened other sounds don't work. I mean I can't watch youtube movies etc. I use Windows 7 and Realtek HD Audio.
Your Computer sound should run on the soundcard installed on your system.

Your ASIO should run on the Audio Interface you have plugged into your system.

When it is configured properly as such, you can watch videos with audio and have your Session open on Ableton Live.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Windows 7 supports the sharing of audio
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

In my audio setup the volume mixer shows all applications that use audio and I can adjust their levels and/or mute them.

It could be that this stuff depends on your drivers. Here is a picture of the Volume mixer and Sound Control panel that have the relevant parts:

t0mek220

Post by t0mek220 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Still nothing works. Well, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:49 pm

I will look into it on my laptop which has ASIO4All but I don't think it will work since it is using the internal sound card vs an external one. So I doubt it'll work like mentioned above. A separate sound card for audio work and windows sound for all else though sounds correct.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.