R.I.P Hardware Samplers and Turntables

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Terminal55

Re: R.I.P Hardware Samplers and Turntables

Post by Terminal55 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:11 am

imho the quality of music being released on vinyl is better than ever and i find it easier to browse through online new releases as all the crap music is only released digitally.

There's been talk for many years of vinyl disappearing completely, but it's settled into a handful of areas where it serves a function to a particular type of music consumer:

1) The audiophile; loads of classic albums are now being released on re-mastered heavy vinyls and the hi fi nerds talk them up as a the best way to listen to this music (obviously accompanied by a ridiculously expensive turntable and phono stage!)
2) Pockets of the underground house and techno scene, where there's a faceless artst/diy ethic and releases are limited to 200-500 pressings. I know personally that in the uk there are very strong scenes revolving around this stuff in London and Glasgow and almost all the dj's play on vinyl
3) The independent rock and indie scene - i have a friend who's an a&r for a small label in london and i mentioned to him recently i'm seeing lot's more vinyl eps and 7"'s for actual bands. He explained the digital market is so vast that it's a way these bands can stick out from the crowd, and the more serious music lovers (the kind of people that start trends with their listening habits) are more inclined to want to buy music in a physical format

I'm a big vinyl lover so all of the above makes me very happy! My only concern is the lack of new technics 1200's out there! I know someone in London doing good business reselling refurbished one's he buys 2nd hand, but the supply is ultimately limited.

:-)

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:12 pm

http://sampler-shootout.fromafarawayplace.com/

One of the coolest tests ran ever. It's a sampler shootout made by the members of mpc forums. It's got a .flac download and a soundcloud link.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm

doghouse wrote: So if you dig that sound, go buy one and return to the glory days of floppies, SCSI hard drives, MIDI sample dumps, etc.
yeah but now I load sounds from SSD drives -totally silent machine. Samples transferts are a breeze with a removable card. I actually did not have the money to buy an expensive sampler when they were hot, now I have 2 emu ultra. but granted, not essential gear, real analog is