Is there a VSTi equivalent of Logics EFM1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
willdahbe

Is there a VSTi equivalent of Logics EFM1?

Post by willdahbe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am

Yeah, so I was able to mess around with Logic for a bit today and had a play with the synths. I must say I was very impressed, especially a lot of the synth bass presets. A lot of them had a really nice thick bottom end and the envelopes seemed really punchy, but also had a nice roundness as well.

Most notably though the EFM1 synth had a couple bass patches "House Bass" and "Detroit Bass" that you hear in classic sounding 90's house/garage as well as current tunes that you hear used in a lot of tracks. They were very usable, no crazy bullshit modulation going on or overly distorted "hey look at how dirty I can get" patches. I've wanted that sound for so long and nothing has come close.

I'm guessing I might have to shoot myself in the face now, but is there any FM synths out there that are as easy to use and have that bass sound I'm looking for?

I used to own operator, but I never got anywhere close to that sound and I've never heard any presets that come close either. Also I know there's Mainstage, but I would like to keep everything as simple as possible. Would appreciate any help

Slightlydelic

Re: Is there a VSTi equivalent of Logics EFM1?

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:28 am

have you seen the price of logic these days? just buy it.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 am

^ this.

I'm surprised more and more folks don't realise that they can just *buy* all the other DAWs out there *just* for their plugins.

IIRC Cubase(?!) just released a software bundle of all their plugins for something like $200 bucks.

When you consider some synths selling for $149 a pop.. makes you wonder.

8)
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 pm

probably should just grow a pair and get going with Logic. would be nice to have something to just work with in live though.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Much as I admire Logic, and agree that EFM is a great little FM synth, Operator can do exactly the same sounds you mention I'm sure.

However, this may require some simple 2 operator sound design (EFM is 2 operator, where 'Operator' is 4 - if that makes sense).

If it's presets you're after, then maybe not. But those classic DX100 techno/rave sounds (Hollow Bass, Wood Bass etc) are really pretty easy.

Solid/Lately bass (the 'Chime' by Orbital bass) has not been nailed on Operator yet, and couldn't be on EFM as it doesn't have enough operators.

Anyone seen the new PX7 Rack Extension for Reason? Can load Yamaha DX patches directly... nice.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.