Noise in the master channel!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Makin0

Noise in the master channel!

Post by Makin0 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 pm

The master channel is making a shhh noise. when i play the track i dont hear it but wehn i stop it it comes back..and when i export the track it also has the noise when the song is silent (the end of it)..If ya need more details tell me;)

darkenedsoul

Re: Noise in the master channel!

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Sounds like something is monitoring room sound/noise and being picked up by the master channel? Is there a mic left open/on (laptop or desktop?)? Look at what monitoring is set to for the tracks.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Makin0

Post by Makin0 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah i have a mic open! shhould i turn of monitor on tracks?

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm

if it was a microfon, there would be possibly a feedback loop => strange echoes and sometimes even a squeal painfully easy to notice, unless You're using headphones

[edit]

if You don't need microphone - turn it off.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

Makin0

Post by Makin0 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:37 pm

I turned of the mic on the audio settings on windows, i still hear the sound! i also turned of input on ableton

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Hello,

Vinyl Distortion device crackle?

Of course, if you use a lot of saturating VSTs or devices, they can build up a noisefloor on their own... so what are you using?

Cheers,
Moritz

Makin0

Post by Makin0 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm

i have 2 tracks with z3ta+2 and 1 albino + pluss a bounch of effects on all my tracks (some vst effets too)

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:13 am

Well, disable everything and then re-enable every device and VST step by step to find out who's causing the noise floor.

leo_wangshi

Post by leo_wangshi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Help quick please. I've got the same problem and I need help quick. I need to export master very soon. The white noise type sound always plays including when the tracks aren't playing. I have no audio inputs running into Ableton and all of my tracks have no input selected. I have no active dithering from any effects. I noticed it when mixing but thought I remembered it going away when i exported audio but I guess I didn't listen loud enough. When i put a very dry less strict OTT on the master when mastering it, I noticed the noise jump up massively.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:37 pm

If it's not your inputs, it could very well be an effect. You got any emulators of old analog gear? I've got half a dozen VSTs which will add white noise to the track. Some plugins add mains hum, etc, to the mix (you can usually turn this off through).

Have you tried muting all tracks to see if the noise is still there?

leo_wangshi

Post by leo_wangshi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:14 pm

I think my mix bus is actually causing it and the Greg Wells MixCentric is the VST causing the problem. I can't take the MixCentric off as I based my whole mix around it and the highs would sound crap without it. A vocal bus is also causing the problem and it has a lot of analog processing (CLA-2As and Kramer Tapes). I have a powerful computer so I didn't think about bussing to save CPU. Help pls

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:44 am

Are you using the Echo plug in anywhere in the song?

leo_wangshi

Post by leo_wangshi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 am

I don't have that Echo plugin anywhere. I have a lot of instances of delay and reverb though.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:26 pm

leo_wangshi wrote:I think my mix bus is actually causing it and the Greg Wells MixCentric is the VST causing the problem. I can't take the MixCentric off as I based my whole mix around it and the highs would sound crap without it. A vocal bus is also causing the problem and it has a lot of analog processing (CLA-2As and Kramer Tapes). I have a powerful computer so I didn't think about bussing to save CPU. Help pls
Well, if you've found the problem(s) (well done, btw) I'm not sure if there is a way around it. Check to see if you can turn off analog mode on those plugins, and/or disable mains hum (some Waves plugins allow this).

Is the Mixcentrc on your master? Weird that it would cause noise since it's a mastering plugin. I'm wondering if it's exaggerating the noise from another plugin (mixcentric looks like it enhances perceived loudness)?