Gun control? We need medication control!!!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Vivo

Re: Shooting = gun problem or sociological problem?

Post by Vivo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Vivo wrote: Nearly 11,000 deaths related to alcohol-impaired driving still occur each year in the United States;therefore, we should get rid of all the cars!

Of course not, the car is not the problem. The drug alcohol is the problem.
death defyingly stupid logic.

cars serve a myriad of functions apart from killing people. what function do weapons serve? they exist to maim and kill. that is their intrinsic purpose and meaning.
There are more deaths caused by alcohol-impaired driving than by gun shootings;therefore, using your logic we should ban cars. Which would be defyingly stupid because it doesn't address the root problem, which is:

The USA has a drug problem.
Last edited by Vivo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:04 am

Vivo wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
Vivo wrote: Nearly 11,000 deaths related to alcohol-impaired driving still occur each year in the United States;therefore, we should get rid of all the cars!

cars serve a myriad of functions apart from killing people. what function do weapons serve? they exist to maim and kill. that is their intrinsic purpose and meaning.
There are more deaths caused by alcohol-impaired driving than by gun shooting;therefore, using your logic we should ban cars. Which would be defyingly stupid because it doesn't address the root problem, which is:

nope. like all countries, the USA has a whole lot of problems. drugs are one. guns are another. humanity is the root problem. having semi-automatic weapons and handguns readily available to the general public just makes it a shitload easier for people to express their human problems by shooting each other.

and by my logic, the cars versus guns argument is blindly stupid. cars serve a whole host of actually useful functions, guns don't. in that respect, guns are more like cigarettes, which also happen to be a drug.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:06 am

Vivo wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:

There are more deaths caused by alcohol-impaired driving than by gun shooting;therefore, using your logic we should ban cars. Which would be defyingly stupid because it doesn't address the root problem, which is:

did you read my post? the UK has a drug problem too, and the number of gun deaths was tiny. The car argument is just silly. They aren't actually designed for killing. Car deaths are accidents, most gun deaths are not. So gun deaths are actually preventable if people just can't get them. Although it's probably already too late for that in the US.

As for the tyranny argument... you're already under tyranny, there's just a really good propaganda system in place so that most people don't realise it. By 1776 standards the taxation that lead to the Boston tea party etc etc was tiny compared to what you have to pay now, and you get very little representation from it unless you are rich. "no taxation without representation".

At what point will those guns ever actually be used against tyranny? If you have another civil war maybe? If the dollar collapses and you have to line up for food? Won't really matter much anyway against the massive military complex your government owns, that they paid for with your taxes! Obama's government is already working on making it possible to use drones in the US on US citizens. Do you think they won't use it on you because you're not a muslim if you start waving your guns around? They would label you a terrorist in no time. Start mobilising a militia and start watching all your friend's and family's homes hit by hellfire missiles.

The only actual real purpose guns are used for, or will ever be save the civil war scenario in actual real life is killing other citizens.

Vivo

Post by Vivo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:23 am

did you read my post? the UK has a drug problem too, and the number of gun deaths was tiny.

I vaguely remember a story that happened in the UK a couple of years ago where these teenagers beat up this small kid to death with their bear hands. The country was horrified
and I remember later reading that the teenager was on some anti depressant. Again, I don't
remember any of the names but if I find the story I'll put it up.

My point is that a killer will use anything to kill and yes I do believe that people should not have machine guns.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 am

Vivo wrote: My point is that a killer will use anything to kill and yes I do believe that people should not have machine guns.
people will probably always kill each other, one way or another. however guns make it too fast and too easy.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:29 am

Vivo wrote:did you read my post? the UK has a drug problem too, and the number of gun deaths was tiny.

I vaguely remember a story that happened in the UK a couple of years ago where these teenagers beat up this small kid to death with their bear hands. The country was horrified
and I remember later reading that the teenager was on some anti depressant. Again, I don't
remember any of the names but if I find the story I'll put it up.

My point is that a killer will use anything to kill and yes I do believe that people should not have machine guns.
well exactly, I'm definitely not saying there is no violence in the UK... But you can guarantee if it was easy for people to get guns the deaths would be much, much higher

Vivo

Post by Vivo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 am

funken wrote:
Vivo wrote:The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Excuse me while I go political. You already have a tyrannical government. Your government is taking money off the poor and giving it to the rich. It just waged a war against Iraq on false grounds. It is still at war against the Taliban, who it created. You keep voting it in every 5 years. You have done for 150 years. It is the only government that has used nuclear weapons. It used to sell WMD materials to Saddam Hussain. Your government helped install Saddam into power, and backed him after he used WMD against his people. Your government backed Suharto as he killed a million civilians in Indonesia. Your government overthrew democracy in Iran and Chile. It destroyed agriculture in Haiti. I could go on, and on, and on. And on.

What are you waiting for?
We are a country divided. Half of the country is completely brain washed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618U-_8o31k

The other half still believe in the American Dream, an even fewer percentage know what's really going on.

Forge.

Re: Gun control? We need medication control!!!!!

Post by Forge. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:26 pm

seriously, what the hell does a regular citizen need to defend themselves against with a weapon like this;

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:44 pm

funken wrote:
Quality!
+1

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

In the hands of a drunk driver, an automobile is as deadly a weapon as the assault rifle; regardless of whether or not that was the intent of driver or the car.

Our drunk driving laws and punishments in the States - as compared to other countries - are fucking pathetic.

Do I detect a common thread?

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Vivo wrote:The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

I very rarely take part in these kind of discussions, but in this instance I feel I have to comment.

I bet $820 billion that you wouldn't stand a chance.

And regarding the "guns don't kill people, people do" thing, how many do you think would have died if Adam Lanza had been armed with a knife rather than a semi-automatic weapon?

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Drink driving related deaths is in the minority compared to other driving related deaths. A car in the hands of anyone is potentially dangerous. Anyone with access to devices purely designed to harm & kill other people is potentially dangerous, regardless of what drugs they have access to. Even in a world without drugs, people will still get killed, so to suggest its the root of the problem is simply narrow-minded.

parma

Post by parma » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 pm

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Vivo wrote:http://www.naturalnews.com/038353_gun_c ... Lanza.html

I'd bet money this kid was on Prozac, Ritalin or some other prescription drug that caused him to go mad.

Bottom line, some people can successfully digest these drugs and for them the drug works.

However, some people can not and for them they go completely insane.

----------------------------------

http://www.yourlawyer.com/articles/titl ... er-suicide

"This is the first case involving Lilly that we have hard scientific proof that our client had a hard time metabolizing Prozac," he said.

A blood test found high levels of fluoxetine, Prozac's active ingredient, in the body of Clarkston, Mich., police officer Daren Alli following his May 23, 2001 suicide, the lawsuit alleges.

Alli had taken Prozac for three days to alleviate a "mild" case of depression, but threw the pills in the toilet after they made him "jumpy" and "jittery," said his widow, Michele.

Four days later, the SWAT team captain shot himself in the head with a .38-caliber revolver.

"I know that Daren did not make this decision. Those drugs took him from us," said Michele Alli, a registered nurse and mother of two.

The lawsuit alleged that a human enzyme dubbed CYP2D6 normally metabolizes or breaks down Prozac and similar drugs in the body, but fails to do so in a minority of people. In their bodies, the active ingredient in Prozac builds up to high levels, putting them at risk of violence and suicide, the lawsuit alleged.

------------------------------
Violence in Schools? It's the Prozac and Ritalin Stupid!

http://www.totalityofbeing.com/Frameles ... lence.html

Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one saying this. Pills seriously screw people up, I think they're a "for lack of a better answer" solution only. I looked up the side effects of some adhd medication and people were having psychotic effects, but when asking my doctor I was told it doesn't do that because "it's not in the statistics."
ImageImage

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:38 pm

funken wrote:
twisted-space wrote:

I very rarely take part in these kind of discussions, but in this instance I feel I have to comment.

I bet $820 billion that you wouldn't stand a chance.

And regarding the "guns don't kill people, people do" thing, how many do you think would have died if Adam Lanza had been armed with a knife rather than a semi-automatic weapon?
The trick in a revolution is to win over the armed forces, at rank and file level, but to never trust the generals. Just in case anyone was wondering.
Actually, I think the trick in a revolution is to make sure that you're somewhere else, preferably a very long way away.