Is there such thing as a music key analyser?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theinfinate

Is there such thing as a music key analyser?

Post by theinfinate » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of a plugin that analyses music and tells you what key it is in and what notes are being used?

dancing Ray

Re: Is there such thing as a music key analyser?

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Sorry, but it is called ears and practise... :|
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Melodyne can do this. I've messed around with it for vocal correction, and I'm fairly sure one of the things it can do is tell you what key something is in. I'm assuming this is all the different versions (and there's a few diff grades of the plugin).

cmockett

Post by cmockett » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:10 am

Sorry, but it is called ears and practise...

Beat me to the punch... OP, spend some time figuring out chord progressions, even from songs off the radio whatever... Goes a long long way to have a developed ear for scales/modes/chord progressions, and in this day and age I'd say it gives you a leg up over a lot of the competition that don't know such things...

cmockett

Post by cmockett » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:15 am

Little hint, 99% of the music we hear today (generally speaking) is in one of four modes- major, minor, mixolydian, and Dorian, with an exception for harmonic minor as well... All are slight variations of major or minor, ain't that tough once you star connecting the dots and learning your intervals within said modes... Why not learn all 7?

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:23 am

The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

vanngogh

Post by vanngogh » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:02 am

Mixed In Key does a pretty good job, for me it's right 90% of the time. Some I'd double check with my own ears. I use it for mixes and DJ sets.

http://www.mixedinkey.com

Winklepicker

Post by Winklepicker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 am

Will no one mention Mixed In Keys?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:45 am

*bookmark*
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

MOSQUITOMAN

Post by MOSQUITOMAN » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:59 am

theinfinate wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows of a plugin that analyses music and tells you what key it is in and what notes are being used?
Is what your are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?1&v=b2Q7-UbYfFI

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:24 am

*shudders*

It's cool for those non-musician DJs, I guess... the rest of you should try to give your ears a chance.
And maybe listen to some different music for once. Because this:
cmockett wrote:Little hint, 99% of the music we hear today (generally speaking) is in one of four modes- major, minor, mixolydian, and Dorian, with an exception for harmonic minor as well... All are slight variations of major or minor, ain't that tough once you star connecting the dots and learning your intervals within said modes... Why not learn all 7?
...is right, but there's a bit more to it. Even a simple pop/soul song can have some sort of modulation, and then there's modal interchange, abstract harmonies which aren't uncommon in Techno and House, and all sorts of stuff that make things a lot more complicated than "This song is in C mixolydian".
I bet David Guetta really enjoys this "Harmonic Mixing" approach, though. Heh.

Cheers,
Moritz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 am

Yes, I exist.
Unsound Designer

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:50 pm

MOSQUITOMAN wrote:
theinfinate wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows of a plugin that analyses music and tells you what key it is in and what notes are being used?
Is what your are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?1&v=b2Q7-UbYfFI
this looks pretty cool, do they make it for Ableton but? Mixed in key i will definitely purchase, looks awesome cheers guys!

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm

TheInfinite, before you purchase MiK, take a look at other alternatives. There are several open source / free options too. I bought MiK a few years back, but they charge for updates and for different OS platforms, which I think is lame.

Give Rapid Evolution a try -- it can be a little more difficult to use than MiK, but it's free.
Also, if you use Traktor at all, there's a program called Trainspotter. I personally prefer Trainspotter, but if you aren't running Traktor as well, it's not as useful. I can't remember if recent versions now allow you to tag music without being in a Traktor Library or not, truthfully it's been a while since I've bought new tracks.

All of this stuff aside, if you are looking for keys of short little bits for remixes etc, I think it's best to load up Operator or Analog and just use your ears. Play a few notes, and some of them will sound better along with the music than others. Depending on your familiarity with music theory either you a) Take note of all the notes that sound good, and use those or B) figure out what key your track is in the old skool way.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 pm

If you're on a Mac, then Algoriddim Djay will analyse your entire iTunes library for key/bpm. It costs less than 20 quid on the Mac App Store.

As a bonus, it's also the most intuitive and fun DJ software available!
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.