Dubspot?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cambria1295

Dubspot?

Post by cambria1295 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:50 am

Anyone check this place out taken any classes online or in person. Just curious on their personal experience there and how they improved. Trying to wean through all the marketing bullshit they have in their video testimonials.

eddiex

Re: Dubspot?

Post by eddiex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 am

i love their videos...but their classes seem jive expensive.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:47 am

You can teach yourself to make music, there's enough free stuff around on the internet.. which is why paid online classes seem pretty stupid to me.

What you would probably gain from a place like dubspot is connections with people with similar goals and interests as yourself. I know lots of artists that go to art school just so they're in an environment where they're constantly immersed in art. Seems to work for them.

cambria1295

Post by cambria1295 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:30 pm

infernal.machine wrote:You can teach yourself to make music, there's enough free stuff around on the internet.. which is why paid online classes seem pretty stupid to me.

What you would probably gain from a place like dubspot is connections with people with similar goals and interests as yourself. I know lots of artists that go to art school just so they're in an environment where they're constantly immersed in art. Seems to work for them.
Yeah I am planning omn learning myself and from online rather than pay the expensive prices. But I feel like if i invest in one of there edm production classes or music theory. The price and convince of it all beijng in one spot learning front he same person might be beneficial in a way. I feel sometimes tutorials online hold back in some aspects. I feel like if I'm working with someone they will teach me everything, idk. something I would no doubt have to save up for

footsy

Post by footsy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

I like their tutorials...

but in my opinion, and this is coming from someone who hasn't ever taken a class for this. I don't believe you need to go out and take a class unless you want a legit degree in this.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Just be sure not to confuse a course with motivation.

If you plan to take a course there, it'd be most beneficial if you've already logged countless hours figuring out who you are musically. Then you can draw from the new influences.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:47 pm

infernal.machine wrote:You can teach yourself to make music, there's enough free stuff around on the internet.. which is why paid online classes seem pretty stupid to me.

I agree to an extent, but also when you take classes in something it forces you to do things that you might not look for or discover on your own. I also recommend branching out of your genre of choice. If your thing is Dubstep you could probably also learn things with lessons in R&B….things that could make your sound unique that you wouldn’t get if you were just watching tutorials of wobble bass and retro drums all day.

I think people just strictly sticking to the clichés of their genre is what is creating so much mediocrity and carbon copies.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:35 pm

cambria1295 wrote: Yeah I am planning omn learning myself and from online rather than pay the expensive prices. But I feel like if i invest in one of there edm production classes or music theory. The price and convince of it all beijng in one spot learning front he same person might be beneficial in a way. I feel sometimes tutorials online hold back in some aspects. I feel like if I'm working with someone they will teach me everything, idk. something I would no doubt have to save up for
if it's what you want to do, you should do it...but i think if you are just trying to learn some music theory. there are cheaper classes out there. once you get some theory in you, you won't need them to teach you how to make EDM.

cambria1295

Post by cambria1295 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 am

You all make great points, and I try to learn about and respect all genres that way I can draw inspiration from anything. Im going to stick with the free stuff for now. Nothing beats free! Thanks everyone for the help!

WISH1

Post by WISH1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 am

So much you can learn from digging in the internet. I just completed the ableton course online from dubspot. As expensive as it was, it was a very serious investment for me, cuz even though I was already learning the ropes from friends and youtube, I really crraved to know all the under the hood tricks, why this knob does what, etc. Dubspot gave me so many new ways to make music, production techniques and sound design. The course is really about artist development, making an EP and then performing. Since i took the course, I never get that old writers block bug, or loss of inspiration but don't take my word for it. It all really depends on what you wanna do and how far you want to go to get educated. Yes, by digging for tutorials you can prolly find all the info you need for free, but it helps to have certified instructors and fellow students give you feedback and help you grow. Well thats what I got out of it at least.

Always a student

Happy Holidays and Fresh Beats!

w1shone.com

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Both avenues are beneficial. I took the Ableton course at Berklee(online)and it was beyond beneficial_for me. It certainley won't be my last....
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

cambria1295

Post by cambria1295 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Thank you for the input. Now how did you two like the online classes. Do you feel it was laking because it was direct person to person? or was the online courses and how they had it set up pretty solid.?
The online classes are significantly cheaper so I was just curious about more information on it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 pm

If you want to throw money at something I would also recommend getting a monthly or yearly subscription to either groove3.com or macprovideo.com. They have a ton of video tutorials that are software specific as well as general production lessons. You get more bang for your buck with a subscription than buying individual tutorials because their libraries are constantly growing and you will have access to everything.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

+1^ for groove3....the all access pass for 30$ is awesome. sooo much there!!

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 am

cambria1295 wrote:Thank you for the input. Now how did you two like the online classes. Do you feel it was laking because it was direct person to person? or was the online courses and how they had it set up pretty solid.?
The online classes are significantly cheaper so I was just curious about more information on it.
Check out the course outlines at the sight and the sample classes.

"Do you feel it was laking because it was direct person to person?"

It's kinda funny that you bring that up , because that was my only fear when "investing" the money but I didn't find anything lacking. The course addressed all I could handle plus some at that given time. I think I learned in 3 months what would have potientally taken me 2 years on my own, and I values my time too much for that. Again this is subjective to how some learn, time restraints, goals, etc.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....