max noob q

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
stringtapper

Re: max noob q

Post by stringtapper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm

funken wrote:The instructions in the first lesson say the message box in a locked patcher will change colour when I click on it, but it doesn't. Any clues?

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max6/dyna ... cchapter01

"Interacting with a locked patcher
Lock the patch by unchecking Edit in the View menu. Let’s see what happens when we click on each of the box types. In the upper right-hand corner of the patch, click on the object box (which we changed from print to metro) – nothing happens. Clicking on the message box directly below it, however, changes the background color – obviously, something is happening when we click on that box."
It is changing. It's just that the default "clicked" colors are not drastically different from the default "unclicked" colors. If you look closely the message box's background color becomes a brighter shade of gray when you click on it.

It's kind of poorly worded too. Do they mean the background color of the message box or the background color of the patcher?

In this case I'm pretty sure they mean the background of the message box, which as I illustrated above is in fact changing colors when you click it. The point is that the default behavior of a message box is such that it changes color when you click it in order to provide visual feedback that it is doing its job.
Unsound Designer

pid

Re: max noob q

Post by pid » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:02 pm

hey funken.

maybe this is one of those things just to not worry about.

move on to the next lesson and keep going...

things get clearer in the future.

good luck.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..