OT: Snowboarding... as in riding... snowboards...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beatmunga

Re: OT: Snowboarding... as in riding... snowboards...

Post by beatmunga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 am

H20nly wrote:^ :lol:

at beatmunga - i've had two knee surgeries. i would NEVER get on a pair of skis. a snowboard doesn't cause my knees to go any which way if/when i fall. 8)

mock all you want... but i'll be ripping my way through Alpine Meadows Christmas day. oh yeah.
I would expect nothing less, my man. Have fun!

( Do you mean Alpine as in 'actually in The Alps' by the way? Are you slumming it Euro-side this Chrimbo?)
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:33 am

no, California. Near Lake Tahoe. Alpine Meadows is one of the parks.

feel free to send a prototype. maybe i'll ride em down on my next trip :wink:

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:37 am

can't believe any UKs would be squeamish on any words, isn't it just like 'the inbetweeners' over there?

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 am

H20nly wrote:no, California. Near Lake Tahoe. Alpine Meadows is one of the parks.

feel free to send a prototype. maybe i'll ride em down on my next trip
Will do. Just make sure you take lots of Facebook friendly pics of the few seconds where you started to look like you were in control!
simmerdown wrote:can't believe any UKs would be squeamish on any words, isn't it just like 'the inbetweeners' over there?
You'd be surprised simmer - for a nation with the world's worst gutter press and some of the most near the knuckle/politically incorrect stand ups in existence, there are still some definite taboos. And that word simply does not go down well at all.

My own cultural baggage makes me very uncomfortable with it I have to admit. Have you ever heard this particular word on 'The Inbetweeners'? I really don't know, as I don't want to spend any more time with spoilt British teenagers than is absolutely necessary.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:55 am

beatmunga wrote:
H20nly wrote:no, California. Near Lake Tahoe. Alpine Meadows is one of the parks.

feel free to send a prototype. maybe i'll ride em down on my next trip
Will do. Just make sure you take lots of Facebook friendly pics of the few seconds where you started to look like you were in control!
:lol:

i would... except that i don't believe in supplying a company with a series of images of me for their facial recognition project. i do believe that one day they will sell that information. i also believe that i'm taking your joke way to seriously.

:wink:

Merry Christmas and kiimak ool Baktun fellas...

:arrow:

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:04 am

I'm with H20nly - peace to all, whatever your strange mode of transport may be!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:34 am

i think it has been so wrong for so long to call an actual mentally handicapped person that, now it has been co-opted to just mean 'goofy' with no offence to anyone..it's like 'jerk', think of the original meaning of that!

now, more snowboarding!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:37 am

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:39 am

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm

4 new inches this morning, which really means 8, if only i had some of that green wax....

and the next 24 hrs looks promising!

playlist for today: Aesop Rock, RATM, and Hello Nasty all day

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:37 pm

I love snowboarding. I'm more into the casual aspect of it though. I've only done it on a mountain with a real board once but I remember at one point during the night there was a long straight path through the woods on almost level ground and it was the most relaxing thing ever. Then I tried to ollie over an ice patch and got fucked up lol.
ImageImage

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 am

people tend to get hurt at the start, catching heel-edges and the like...when i was an instructor (on vermont ice) most of the job in the first lessons was to keep people from cracking their skulls, and hopefully maybe learn how to turn, hahah

rakim87

Post by rakim87 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:54 pm

simmerdown wrote:people tend to get hurt at the start, catching heel-edges and the like...when i was an instructor (on vermont ice) most of the job in the first lessons was to keep people from cracking their skulls, and hopefully maybe learn how to turn, hahah

i skateboarded for 10 years (stopped a couple months ago) so some skills transferred over from that and the falling part didn't really bother me since I'm used to falling on cement. No one told me how to go down the mountain though, we just went up and skipped the bunny hill, so I'm just looking at a straight line into a cabin at the bottom like "i'm going to die..." then looked around and saw people carving side to side and figured it out. lol
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm

^ that's how i started. i strapped on the board... went from 0-90 and then prayed at the bottom of the mountain that i wouldn't hit anyone... my baseball playing days kicked in... i slid into first base. rinse, repeat. i finally learned to turn heal side a few trips in.

i hadn't been in 2 years and before that (single trip) i had 2 knee surgeries so it's kind of like starting over. my girlfriend bought me a board for Christmas though. 8)

after my trip to Alpine Meadows on Christmas day that i mentioned above... we had so much fun that less than a week later (New Year's Eve day) we drove up to another lodge, Boreal, and i actually shredded!!! i was so damn happy on the drive home... 180s, 360s and even caught a lip for a short grind... accidentally yes, but you'd never have guessed since i pulled it off so clean. MAN that shit feels good!!

i'm going to empty my coin jar and try and go again this Saturday.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:38 pm

over christmas break we were deluged with vacationers on the mountain (which is fine, normal) but they skiied the shit out of it, we need some new snow BAD

here's my kid, he's 12