Resisting the Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Resisting the Push

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Home for me just isn't very ideal. Everything about my home atmosphere degrades focus. I still live with my parents :/. They watch the tv all the time. Walls are paper thin. My room isn't too big. Yet I have a bunch of music toys. And even my own self control when it comes to focusing is terrible.

The Launchpad isn't quite a keyboard. So it is nice that it doesn't look as musical haha. I just explore playing it. The snow inspired a 'slight random velocity' electric piano-sounding session :) (w/ some smooth fm padding)

Makes sense given your home situation but I don’t think I’d find it any easier to work in a place of business with random people shuffling around. To me productively working on my own music is just as private as rubbing one out.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm

beats me wrote:To me productively working on my own music is just as private as rubbing one out.
lol ;)

I like to get outside with the music sometimes too. Coffee shops are good for that stuff because a) it's not out of place to have a laptop there and B) sustenance is near by.

I wouldn't want to go somewhere like that to finalize a track or anything, but for picking up new ideas and just jamming, I find that I draw a lot of inspiration from whats going on around me.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Ill probably buy Push. But yeah, I love my APC. The APC and my Elektrons did wonders for braking me out endless loops and pushing me ove thge edge for making tracks.

Hopefully Push picks up where the APC left off, if not then I'll sell it
Ableton | Elektron

Music

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:38 pm

tedlogan wrote:'m in love with the idea of a single controller helping me create music from scratch with no mouse or keyboard use
fingers crossed

ChiefNugget

Post by ChiefNugget » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:34 pm

beats me wrote: To me productively working on my own music is just as private as rubbing one out.
and often even more rewarding as a social activity
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.

FadY

Post by FadY » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am

for me apc40 + apC-CL3+TC3 scripts (http://www.nativekontrol.com/apC_Series.html) does the job.
You have a navigation mode that help you not to use the mouse. You also have a step seq mode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oP4IDyoq0A

Except for the touch sensitive pads I do not think I have any need to switch to push. Also I realy never use any preset... I like to start from scratch everytime.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 pm

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Home for me just isn't very ideal. Everything about my home atmosphere degrades focus. I still live with my parents :/. They watch the tv all the time. Walls are paper thin. My room isn't too big. Yet I have a bunch of music toys. And even my own self control when it comes to focusing is terrible.

The Launchpad isn't quite a keyboard. So it is nice that it doesn't look as musical haha. I just explore playing it. The snow inspired a 'slight random velocity' electric piano-sounding session :) (w/ some smooth fm padding)
I´m working in a club in vienna as an audioengineer and for some strange reason i wrote most of my tracks in the last year during parties with loud music while i am sitting in the middle of the room behind the FOH-mixer with my headphones on. i don`t know why ? it`s probably very bad for my ears but as it is working out so good i can`t stop. of course , the mixdown/mastering i`m doing in my studio the day after but the whole arrangement and a big part of the sounddesign is done while a big party with completely different music is happening around me. i think i`m really the only person on earth who`s producing under conditions like this but yeah..... as long as it works :P

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 pm

but about push i can only say: i want it, i need it and i will get one.
it`s probably true that itwill not make my music better but i think i could say: I´m a gear slut, i love blinky buttons and it`s always inspiring working with a new instrument. and for what i have seen so far push really deserves to be called an instrument much more than any other midi-controllers i have worked with. and it definitely would make a good partner for the APC40 with running mapEase and a launchpad running LPC. of course they share a lot of the same functionality but imagine how great this is for live improvisation! you could use push for browsing, stepsequencing one sound, LPC for loopslicing, step sequencing another sound and the apc for mixing, clips triggering and the loevely ClyphX strip

i can`t wait much longer

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 am

Push wants to be Maschine.If you want Maschine, buy Maschine.If you use Ableton and own an APC or a Launchpad, i don't see any reason why anyone would need Push.

Then again, nice flashing lights seem to be the #1 selling point nowadays..

Controllerists are so easy to sell stuff to :lol:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:03 am

Even if you do compare Push to Maschine (despite a few differences, more buttons on Push, touchstrip, on Maschine the ability to see waveforms and chop samples), at the end of the day it comes down to the actual software that each is intended for. And, Maschine IS amazing and streamlined. But, Ableton is bigger than Maschine.

ljd2002

Post by ljd2002 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Push looks (and probably is) fantastic. But I think both Push and Live/Suite 9 are going to have a hard time persuading existing owners to upgrade.
As well as the (more obvious reason of) cost - we are not talking trivial sums here, I just think an existing set up of Live 8 plus a Launchpad is that good (even before incredible stuff like LPC and ClyphX) that it will take more than flashing lights for people to move on.
Its similar to the issue AKAI have with the (totally underwhelming MPC Ren). There's not enough incentive to move up. It would be a different story if we were talking about a $ 50 upgrade.
Unlike a lot of music software manufacturers, Ableton have a product worthy of its high price - but like a lot of manufacturers - its in Ableton's interest to keep a software/hardware upgrade cycle revolving. Not neccessarily greed, just business sense.
I just feel that something's got to give - and Live 9/Push, may just be where I take a break from upgrading for a while and enjoy what I have.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:42 pm

H20nly wrote: when push comes to shove
This.

I'm not getting Push until they upgrade it to Shove.

tigali

Post by tigali » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:53 pm

beatz01 wrote:Push wants to be Maschine.If you want Maschine, buy Maschine.If you use Ableton and own an APC or a Launchpad, i don't see any reason why anyone would need Push.

Then again, nice flashing lights seem to be the #1 selling point nowadays..

Controllerists are so easy to sell stuff to :lol:
The #1 selling point for me is velocity sensitive and pressure sensitive pads. I've got Launchpad and really enjoy playing instruments and external synths in User 1 mode (I've got pretty slick at Jazzy solos and chords) but I'm really missing both Velocity and Pressure sensitivity. Show me one other controller out there that has small pads that can be played one finger at a time with more than 16 notes available and velocity and pressure sensitivity. I have not seen such a controller, otherwise I would already own it. For that reason alone I'll be getting Push. The rest of the features make it a no-brainer.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm

ljd2002 wrote:Push looks (and probably is) fantastic. But I think both Push and Live/Suite 9 are going to have a hard time persuading existing owners to upgrade.
As well as the (more obvious reason of) cost - we are not talking trivial sums here, I just think an existing set up of Live 8 plus a Launchpad is that good (even before incredible stuff like LPC and ClyphX) that it will take more than flashing lights for people to move on.
Its similar to the issue AKAI have with the (totally underwhelming MPC Ren). There's not enough incentive to move up. It would be a different story if we were talking about a $ 50 upgrade.
Unlike a lot of music software manufacturers, Ableton have a product worthy of its high price - but like a lot of manufacturers - its in Ableton's interest to keep a software/hardware upgrade cycle revolving. Not neccessarily greed, just business sense.
I just feel that something's got to give - and Live 9/Push, may just be where I take a break from upgrading for a while and enjoy what I have.
Yes indeed..... :wink: