Live 9 Convert To Midi From Audio Is Hopelessly Inaccurate?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Re: Live 9 Convert To Midi From Audio Is Hopelessly Inaccurate?

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Make sure intended quantization is set correctly for drums ... I usually set it to 1/16, and then adjust note length once the audio has been converted....

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Acid303 what are you doing? From the moment you try to access the Beta its obvious that the Beta forum is the right way to communicate problems with the beta. If you care enough to post about it you should care enough to use the Beta forum. You're wasting your beta login.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Fuck! How can I make original music when I can’t convert all the audio of somebody else’s music to MIDI?!?

Music just got set back 50 years. Fuck!

:x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Hermanus wrote:you should really discuss this on the live 9 beta forum [link on your user account page]

it works pretty well when you take the time to investigate [my point of view]
+1

i beat box into a mic - convert - i have MIDI drums.

i hum into a mic - convert - i have a MIDI harmony.

record a bass line - convert - i have it nailed as a MIDI melody.

it works for me.

i guess if you expect it to perfectly translate everything, then maybe that's the problem. we can hardly even get a phrase perfectly translated from english to <insert language here> on the web.

meanwhile; trying to covert Aphex Twin or Tiesto CDs to MIDI and getting pissed because every note isn't recreated is going to remain unreasonable in my book. expect resistance.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:47 pm

It works great you grumpy assholes.

merges

Post by merges » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 am

H20nly wrote:we can hardly even get a phrase perfectly translated from english to <insert language here> on the web.
Just to be fair, that is a *much* harder problem, in general, than converting audio (as in fairly straightforward melodies, like those which are hummed, played on a piano or horn, etc., and harmonies from a single instrument, such as a piano) to MIDI. Though there are many more people working on it. :)

(Edited for clarity.)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 am

H20nly wrote: meanwhile; trying to covert Aphex Twin or Tiesto CDs to MIDI and getting pissed because every note isn't recreated is going to remain unreasonable in my book. expect resistance.

I think some users would like live 9 doing all the job for them.
I'm good if one or two wrong notes have to be replaced.

People also forget to insert markers in their audio file [it's really helping the process].

Lately I started testing it with weird audio [or audio from sends, texture mode tweaked like hell, etc].

Unexpected results that made my day with it.
People should try it out of the boundaries.

I found some interesting electro jazz like phrases after converted to midi :twisted:

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:04 pm

jtdj wrote:so one of the only new features ableton took 3 years to do doesn't even work, can anyone honestly say they are not slightly worried with the company's development over the last 3 years?

Thats what i say since 3 years! they dont hear what the users want, only their money are good....Sinless beta testing running years and only more bugs are produced on the cost of the users, typically german attitude! :evil:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:33 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:
jtdj wrote:so one of the only new features ableton took 3 years to do doesn't even work, can anyone honestly say they are not slightly worried with the company's development over the last 3 years?

Thats what i say since 3 years! they dont hear what the users want, only their money are good....Sinless beta testing running years and only more bugs are produced on the cost of the users, typically german attitude! :evil:
I think the audio to midi works alright. Having made my own with max, I reckon that the Live built in one is really accurate, quick and if anything too simple. People who say it doesn't work are mistaken.

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 am

The beta forums is for bugs not for bad features. No one's talking about reverse engineering audio - just what it claims to do. This was one of the few interesting new features of live 9 so I'm pretty much disappointed. We've got clip automation which is welcomed, automation curves (wow) and a new EQ and compressor (as if we all need more of those). Push looks great but it's not really any improvement in the software - just in the control of it.

I don't even think it's worth upgrading in the slightest although I think they forcing you to upgrade to live 9 in order to use the push controller.
This is not worthy of being sold as a full update. More like free Live 8.5 update

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:45 am

Acid303 wrote:The beta forums is for bugs not for bad features. No one's talking about reverse engineering audio - just what it claims to do. This was one of the few interesting new features of live 9 so I'm pretty much disappointed. We've got clip automation which is welcomed, automation curves (wow) and a new EQ and compressor (as if we all need more of those). Push looks great but it's not really any improvement in the software - just in the control of it.

I don't even think it's worth upgrading in the slightest although I think they forcing you to upgrade to live 9 in order to use the push controller.
This is not worthy of being sold as a full update. More like free Live 8.5 update
no I'm afraid you can't say that, apparently it's trolling.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 am

I've already posted on the beta forum with suggestions on how to make audio to midi better. The beta forum is being used by people to discuss how to improve features. Sometimes they have been changed within the beta. Thats why posting here is an idiotic gesture. Live 9 isn't finished and there's a whole forum dedicated to helping its development. I'd say that using this forum to discuss Live 9 features isn't trolling but it does mark you out as lazy and without any sense of responsibility for their actions.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Just to chime in here, I've actually directly compared Ableton's Harmony to MIDI with Melodyne's equivalent Polyphonic to MIDI with various rock song mp3s, with distorted guitars, pinch harmonics, etc. They're comparable. Some things Melodyne gets better, some things Ableton gets better. And as far as I know, Melodyne Editor with DNA (US $399) is THE top program for this sort of thing.

Now, I did a Mozart piano sonata with Live 9's Harmony to MIDI, and I was astonished at how accurately it converted it to MIDI. As in like, 99% perfect. Then I did a symphony, and it wasn't so great (same with Melodyne).

So, getting polyphonic musical passages to MIDI is a huge feat, and the best of the best still have sucky results when it comes to many types of music.

So, with that all said, I love the new XYZ to MIDI options in the Live 9 beta. I'm having a lot of fun with them. The drums to MIDI is great, and the melody to MIDI is great for getting melodies from your head, to your vocal chords, to the MIDI piano roll quickly. The harmony to MIDI is very hit and miss, as it is right now for every human on the planet trying to do this with any software. As Celemony, Apple, Ableton, etc. all continue to update their programming to improve in this area, I'm sure we'll see better results as time goes on. And as it stands now, it's a fun new feature that can still be very useful in some circumstances.

And as for the attitude about the new EQ 8 and Glue Comp, those are actually fantastic additions/updates to the main program.

freqn

Post by freqn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 am

infernal.machine wrote:Use the beta forums

^ This will help Ableton address the issue if there is one.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 am

SpeedKing wrote:Now, I did a Mozart piano sonata with Live 9's Harmony to MIDI, and I was astonished at how accurately it converted it to MIDI. As in like, 99% perfect. Then I did a symphony, and it wasn't so great (same with Melodyne).
That's probably because piano sonata only contains the timbre of the piano. But most music is contructed with various timbre... so..