Live 9 MIDI CC automation in arrangement window (Reason 6)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
millea8

Live 9 MIDI CC automation in arrangement window (Reason 6)

Post by millea8 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 pm

I am currently in love with the duo of Live and Reason working hand in hand via rewire, but I feel as if there is one short fall that I am hoping will be fixed in Live 9. I use live and all of it's effects and a handful of VST's and I have my reason instruments setup as external instruments within my Live session. I am wanting the ability to automate CC data coming from Reason in the arrangement window in Live. Working strictly within the clip window in Live is a bit confining as I am not able to see multiple parameters being tweaked at the same time. Will this feature be supported in Live 9?

guardner

Re: Live 9 MIDI CC automation in arrangement window (Hardware)

Post by guardner » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:35 am

Hi!

I have a hardware based studio and I really love Live as my main DAW, but I REALLY miss the feature to see MIDI CC data in the arrange view!!
WHY?????

This is one of the MAIN must haves of a DAW. It's so complicated to automate external instruments/fx with MIDI and a workaround with m4l doesn't work very well.

I hope this will be a new feature in LIVE9!!
---
Config:MacProQuad 3GHz,8G RAM,2xMio2882
Mac OS X.6.8, Live9suite, Logic 9, Cubase 6.5.
---
http://www.broombeck.de
http://www.guardner.de
http://www.berkstroem.de
http://www.marcusschmahl.de

millea8

Re: Live 9 MIDI CC automation in arrangement window (Reason 6)

Post by millea8 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Going to bump this up because I feel like this is a major draw back and would love to see a moderator reply to something like this.

If someone has info. regarding this topic it would also be great if they could post some links etc.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:46 pm

millea8 wrote:I am currently in love with the duo of Live and Reason working hand in hand via rewire, but I feel as if there is one short fall that I am hoping will be fixed in Live 9. I use live and all of it's effects and a handful of VST's and I have my reason instruments setup as external instruments within my Live session. I am wanting the ability to automate CC data coming from Reason in the arrangement window in Live. Working strictly within the clip window in Live is a bit confining as I am not able to see multiple parameters being tweaked at the same time. Will this feature be supported in Live 9?
am I missing something? i don't think you can do this in the arrangement view either (see multiple parameter's envelopes together). at least, not in live 8... maybe live 9 has it? if so, it would probably be added in the clips too.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:22 pm

millea8 wrote:Will this feature be supported in Live 9?
its not in the beta so highly doubtful. you have to draw/record CCs into clips, as in previous Live versions.
CCs in automation lanes has been in the wishlist for years, but the overhaul of automation in Live 9 only went so far...

millea8

Post by millea8 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:23 pm

theophilus wrote:
millea8 wrote:I am currently in love with the duo of Live and Reason working hand in hand via rewire, but I feel as if there is one short fall that I am hoping will be fixed in Live 9. I use live and all of it's effects and a handful of VST's and I have my reason instruments setup as external instruments within my Live session. I am wanting the ability to automate CC data coming from Reason in the arrangement window in Live. Working strictly within the clip window in Live is a bit confining as I am not able to see multiple parameters being tweaked at the same time. Will this feature be supported in Live 9?
am I missing something? i don't think you can do this in the arrangement view either (see multiple parameter's envelopes together). at least, not in live 8... maybe live 9 has it? if so, it would probably be added in the clips too.

No, you cannot do this in arrangement or session view. I understand there is a potential for the automation selection drop-downs to get cluttered with CC control data info, but it seems crazy it isn't available. Hopefully we'll see it implemented in 9, but who knows.

nutterwithbutter

Post by nutterwithbutter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:29 pm

fingers crossed that it will be fixed

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:13 pm

You can do this easily using ClyphX.
ClyphX is a must-have anyway, but if you don't have it yet download it
and check out "nk Midi" in the included Macrobat Manual.

I wouldn't even consider this a workaround as it brings many advantages:
You can give the parameters real names instead of "CC34" which also appear
in the automation. You can MIDI map the parameters to any controller or
tweak the parameters using the "blue hand".
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

joeschman

Post by joeschman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:22 am

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=446

This max plugin works perfectly for my cc automation needs in the arrangement view!

I hope it helps!

igneous

Post by igneous » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Bump. I work with the EW Hollywood Orchestra VST, and all the dynamics of the instruments are controlled with MIDI CCs.

Constantly leaving arrangement view to change CC parameters in the clip view really slows down my workflow, especially because I'm needing to go through the drop-down menu of CC parameters to get to the one I need, even if I've used it before.

bikerguy

Post by bikerguy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:08 am

igneous wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:28 pm
Bump. I work with the EW Hollywood Orchestra VST, and all the dynamics of the instruments are controlled with MIDI CCs.

Constantly leaving arrangement view to change CC parameters in the clip view really slows down my workflow, especially because I'm needing to go through the drop-down menu of CC parameters to get to the one I need, even if I've used it before.
@igneous, I feel you there. It sucks to have to go into clip view to find the CC from the dropdown when all my other tracks are automated in the arrangement view. Luckily, there is a neat max for live midi device that you can use to automate MIDI CC while staying in the arrangement view. Just slap it on before your VST. If you want to automate more than one CC, you can chain more than one of these together.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... -cc-sender

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:30 am

Guys, use the M4L CC devices, as has been suggested.

Yet another useful tool to get CCs on your Arr track:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2560/cc-map8

I'm going to make a wild guess that this functionality will never be more baked into Live, so use this.
After all, Ableton bought Cycling74 that's behind Max, and a lot of these M4L devices are now a seamless part of Live.
Use it!