Thunderbolt stuff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

Re: Thunderbolt stuff

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:39 pm

No cheep Thunderbolt audio interfaces on the horizon that I know of. You could always get the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter ($30 USD) and put the port to use with an external drive or a FireWire interface.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Affordable hubs are still rare. There are a few, but the affordable ones skipped FireWire.
Thunderbolt is overkill for most Audio Cards in the lower price range. And USB 2.0 beats FW400. Not a lot of FW800 interfaces out there, apart from in the higher price range.
Thunderbolt is a nice concept, but I expected it to be the key to supercomputing along with external GFX cards. On a UAD Apollo, Thunderbolt is a 400€ add-on.
So basically I'm still waiting for 200$ mega-hub to pop up.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm waiting a bit too for prices to come down. I'd love to use it for external back ups, but Thunderbolt drives in the capacities I NEED for the work I do are still stupid expensive. I think we're a ways off from seeing it on lower end soundcards unfortunately.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm

hoffman2k wrote:USB 2.0 beats FW400.
Not true, plenty of discussions why on the web.

I have the Apple Tbolt-FW800 adapter and have used it with my two FW audio interfaces, works fine. Not that I would recommend investing in a new FW interface at this point, even mfrs who have supported FW for years like Yamaha and MOTU are moving over to USB.

I suspect the first Thunderbolt audio interfaces will be pro units offering huge bandwidth...64+ channels for example. Some units may pop up next month at the NAMM show.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:25 pm

no thunderbolt devices here. I use my old motu ultralite with a FW-cable connected to the thunderbolt-port without problems.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:55 am

TB will be discontinued. It's flawed port. Not technically but conceptually. If you use it for LAN and Display how do you plug your HDD and Audio I/F? Hub? Where is TB hub??

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 am

How is it flawed? The words daisy chaining comes to mind. Most, if not all TB devices like display or HD enclosures I've seen so far has that option.
..much like I remember it was with firewire in the beginning. We'll probably see a tb hub someday.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Most TB cables seem to be around $50 sadly.
Tarekith

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Technically its 2 sets of chips connected by a cable. So I wouldn't really mind a hub with like a 20cm attached cable. That should cut like 30$. I wonder how much screens we would be limited to by connecting them to added ports of hubs.
Thunderbolt could really deliver some interesting things, but as usual... Apple is so far ahead of its time, other manufacturers are still contemplating catching up. And Intel really didn't make it easy.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:36 pm

doghouse wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:USB 2.0 beats FW400.
Not true, plenty of discussions why on the web.

I have the Apple Tbolt-FW800 adapter and have used it with my two FW audio interfaces, works fine. Not that I would recommend investing in a new FW interface at this point, even mfrs who have supported FW for years like Yamaha and MOTU are moving over to USB.

I suspect the first Thunderbolt audio interfaces will be pro units offering huge bandwidth...64+ channels for example. Some units may pop up next month at the NAMM show.
Not saying there's anything wrong with it. RME's USB products show the actual practical limits. With the right drivers, USB 2.0 can match up against any FW400 device with the same amount of IO.
FW800 is obviously faster and can take more channels, but as you point out, the developers are moving away from it. Now that USB 3.0 is supported via TB, its a more likely candidate for future devices.

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:07 pm

If this works as advertised it will definitely find itself in my studio
http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 pm

It'll be interesting to see if the USB3 ports are backward compatible. Weird that it has audio I/O too, but still looks useful.
Tarekith

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 am

Tysonviolin wrote:If this works as advertised it will definitely find itself in my studio
http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt
Yeah that's a beautiful thing for sure, better than any dock I've seen to date.
Shouldn't be any reason it won't work, nice.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:25 am

^^^
At $400 suggested retail it's a bit overpriced IMO.

botstein

Post by botstein » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:47 am

Tarekith wrote:Most TB cables seem to be around $50 sadly.
They have chips in them. They aren't just like the old iPod cables which can be had for $5 at Fry's.
ttilberg wrote: "Hey, Live isn't just for DJs checkin' their email, or Expiremental Dave at the astronomy theater."