Thunderbolt stuff

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tysonviolin

Re: Thunderbolt stuff

Post by Tysonviolin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 am

Machinesworking wrote:^^^
At $400 suggested retail it's a bit overpriced IMO.
If you don't need it don't buy it

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 am

Tysonviolin wrote:
Needlessly antagonistic post on your part.
Why not just say that you think it's a good price?

Personally I don't think it's a good price because it's almost half the cost of the macbook air.
Hopefully actual retail puts it at $299 or so.

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Tysonviolin wrote:
Needlessly antagonistic post on your part.
Why not just say that you think it's a good price?

Personally I don't think it's a good price because it's almost half the cost of the macbook air.
Hopefully actual retail puts it at $299 or so.
My bad. I would like it to be cheaper, but since it will be the only offering I have to decide whether it is worth it to me now. My answer is yes and I respect that your answer is different.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:11 pm

don't forget you thunderbolt->LAN...
as new mac laptops seem to be missing an obvious lan cable port...

meanwhile Apple gets to sell more necessary "adapters"
http://www.webpronews.com/apple-announc ... et-2012-06

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Tysonviolin wrote: My bad. I would like it to be cheaper, but since it will be the only offering I have to decide whether it is worth it to me now. My answer is yes and I respect that your answer is different.
A reasonable and mature person on the internet? My world is falling apart! 8O
No I agree it looks like a great solution, and in all honesty I'm exited because it's all so dammed perfect. Macbooks have been sidelined in the docking station game for years with less than perfect solutions, then this one comes along and jumps right the fuck past all that cumbersome crap. I don't see any rational reason for issues and it's elegant as hell! My guess is it will come in at $350 or less retail, and for people like me who've decided to use a Mac Pro for the creation part of writing, who now see the 11" Macbook Air as a viable option for live use, this is more than perfect. I might be an exception, but I use a laptop for business, because I can 'dock' it into my live setup, or bring it to the office. So I'm constantly moving it around, and IMO anyway having all the connections outside the laptop is brilliant.

My goal is to keep the current 07 macbook pro around for another year and get the next generation Air or 13" pro. The thing is the Air's are starting to creep up on the Pros in terms of overall performance, so this levels the playing field in terms of connections.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 pm

the ultrabooks will most likely always use the lower-power cpu...
not good for performance power..

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 pm

3dot... wrote:don't forget you thunderbolt->LAN...
as new mac laptops seem to be missing an obvious lan cable port...

meanwhile Apple gets to sell more necessary "adapters"
First off isn't it a bit late to start selling Thunderbolt adaptors? Seems like Apple was trying to give the third party people the lead there to me...

Honestly, I finally had some extra cash a while ago and I decided to upgrade my wifi to the latest Airport Extreme since the one I had was so old it didn't have Gigabit Ethernet, was older wifi etc. I don't notice a bit of difference. We're at that point to where the real bottlenecks aren't the wifi etc. but the actual speed of the transfer, IE internet speed and system speed. I would hazard to guess that the new wifi cards in modern laptops and PCs etc. are just as fast as Gigabit Ethernet was on a machine from 7 years ago. Because car analogies are lame and fun to use: It's like turbo charging your car to go 175 instead of 150, when the speed limit is 70.

I'm very much all for the basic concept that's being put out here, one connection that can be configured anyway you like it. This sort of thinking has serious longevity since it allows for forwards and backwards compatibility. It also allows third party manufacturers to come up with their own solutions without too much hassle it seems.
I do not believe in this case Apple are just trying to milk the consumer.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:38 am

Machinesworking wrote: I do not believe in this case Apple are just trying to milk the consumer.
read that back to yourself and try not to lol...
:lol:

also... I don't see anyone following their "lead" on this. Ethernet is faster than WIFI.

The Onboard Ethernet adapter is in there... why not put the Ethernet input that connects to it.. ?
you do pay x2 for a Mac vs. similar spec PC laptop hardware don't ya?
the answer is obvious.

Apple is making a killing. 3rd party manufacturers need to pay Apple.
and they pay in bulk... not like the pesky users....that pay in pennies..
money in the bank for Apple...
chiching!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:50 am

Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:51 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Then we have only one port left. Which device should we prioritize? Display? Audio i/f? HD? :?
we actually have 2 !! joy!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:36 am

3dot... wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: I do not believe in this case Apple are just trying to milk the consumer.
read that back to yourself and try not to lol...
:lol:

See unlike you I don't believe Apple are some evil empire, and I use their computers. So I have no preconception that every move they make is malicious. To a lot of people myself included, a single port that can handle a break out box like the one Belkin will offer is actually a useful thing in the end. One port that gets friction connecting and disconnecting etc.
This conversation happened when USB and firewire came out... or anytime a new standard is introduced. Thunderbolt is way faster than the current top of the line systems bus speeds, so it's well future proof. Apple thinks this will sell their computers; the idea that they're willing to take this chance so they can sell a $25 converter is odd considering if their customers have your logic they won't buy them. Seriously, think about it, they believe this will be a way to sell their hardware, and make for some third party docking type solutions like that Belkin one.
also... I don't see anyone following their "lead" on this. Ethernet is faster than WIFI.

The Onboard Ethernet adapter is in there... why not put the Ethernet input that connects to it.. ?
Likely it will remain a Mac only feature for a while. It's hard to say, will PC manufacturers adopt or stick with a huge bundle of ports on their laptops? The thing is the open market on desktops ensures that likely we'll not see too many Thunderbolt ports on PC Windows towers.
When was the last time you used your Gigabit port on your laptop? I last used it over 4 years ago.
I don't think I'm alone in that. I hooked up the Mac Pro here with it and thought I would notice the BLAZING SPEEDS, but alas, music software developers simply do not have fast downloads, period! :lol:
you do pay x2 for a Mac vs. similar spec PC laptop hardware don't ya?
the answer is obvious.
I don't, I have no idea how much Apple products are in Israel, but here in the states it's more like about 20% more. Which IMO is more than covered by the OS and case design etc. Also, seriously why the fuck do you care? You're acting all outraged about and reading threads on a product line that you don't use??? You're trolling now, but if you were simply interested in the technology, the answer is simple and plain as day, Thunderbolt can act as a docking station, that's clear with the Belkin breakout box and the Cinema displays Apple are making now. If you followed Apple pricing you would know that devices like the Macbook Air are going way down in price, probably largely due to the streamlining of the design and moving parts etc.
Apple is making a killing. 3rd party manufacturers need to pay Apple.
and they pay in bulk... not like the pesky users....that pay in pennies..
money in the bank for Apple...
chiching!
Right and they all go broke selling product to consumers except evil ol Apple....
All those broke iOS developers are right there with you bro.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 am

So far I have used only the TB to FW800 adapter. It works fine but it gets very hot in the process.
I own an old FW400 CoreAudio device so I tested with TB->FW800->FW400 so I used two adapters one after the other and it worked fine. I had some doubts about power but TB was able to power the audio card as well.
I have read the discussion. For those interested Lacie TB/USB3 rugged drive at 250 Euros brings a TB Cable with it. So something is moving.. The TB Cables will always be expensive they contain PCI Bus electronics.

Best
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 am

It's hard to say, will PC manufacturers adopt or stick with a huge bundle of ports on their laptops?
Your analogy flaws. Thunderbolt isn't contributing the number of ports. It's rather worse. There is no genuine hub at all unlike USB3.0 hub is available under 30 bucks. Sry, USB won again.
I hooked up the Mac Pro here with it and thought I would notice the BLAZING SPEEDS, but alas, music software developers simply do not have fast downloads, period! :lol:
Wireless's connection quality sucks, period.
Which IMO is more than covered by the OS and case design etc.
FWIW, at least OS isn't covering because OSX's performance isn't as much as today's Windows. And the design isn't always apple's. See the iPhone's clock design. They steal Swiss rail watch design. Apple need money to pay the license fee to use the design. Your money goes to them so your assumption would be true.
Also, seriously why the fuck do you care? You're acting all outraged about and reading threads on a product line that you don't use???
We are using computers. So we actually use. We care as same way as you are caring 'specific' PC manufactures. I'll rephrase it to 'All' if you knew and are using all models of PC on the market.
You're trolling now, but if you were simply interested in the technology,
Troll is calling the others troll, funny :lol:
the answer is simple and plain as day, Thunderbolt can act as a docking station, that's clear with the Belkin breakout box and the Cinema displays Apple are making now.
Almost 2 years from its release. Still no genuine hub. "We got LAN adaptor for TB now!" heh no thanks. How much does your assumption support your arguments? Furthermore, those minor manufacture isn't enough to pay $300 just for hub feature. Epic fail so far.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 am

Pencilrocket you're so obviously biased it's not at all worth talking to you about anything to do with Apple.
It's like kicking water uphill, absolutely pointless. You contradict yourself in your own replies, so I'm OK with not bothering. :wink:

To be fair I have a friend that used to work at Apple and he's the same way in reverse. You two would probably unleash the apocalypse if you were ever to shake hands. :twisted:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 am

Biased? Your choice of words is interesting. I said nothing from an assumption. All are truth IIRC. You are welcome if you can correct where I said wrong. Your aregument seems to conatin too much indeterminate future. It's not a good way to evaluate hardware standards as a 'user'. We are using them now, not will use in the indeteminate future. Are you going to wait 2 more years? Good luck with your gambling :P