Ableton Intro 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nigel2712

Ableton Intro 9

Post by nigel2712 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:44 pm

I love my Ableton 8 Intro but will it really be the case that in Ableton 9 there will be only 16 tracks available for both Midi and Audio from unlimited midi and 64 audio tracks in version 8? How can this represent an upgrade? Although version 9 Intro will benefit from a number of new features surely this represents a downgrade!!
Why was this decided, I wonder?

login

Re: Ableton Intro 9

Post by login » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:05 pm

I think you can't upgrade to intro 9, you are forced to upgrade to live 9 standard.

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Some things are better. You can put whatever you want in those 16 tracks. Whereas in 8 you could only have 8 Ableton devices and 4 of your own.
(At least this is implied.)
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 pm

login wrote:I think you can't upgrade to intro 9, you are forced to upgrade to live 9 standard.
There's no upgrade dicount for Intro 9, you basically get a new license.
Eventful wrote:Some things are better. You can put whatever you want in those 16 tracks. Whereas in 8 you could only have 8 Ableton devices and 4 of your own.
(At least this is implied.)
On the other hand I've just read that you will only have two mono i/o each, whilst Intro 8 has to stereo. Makes a lot of a difference for cue-setups with multi i/o-interfaces.

Anyway, I have always seen Intro (and LE before) as a marketing tool to drag customers into upgrading, only now the limbo bar is even lower.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 pm

nigel2712 wrote:I love my Ableton 8 Intro but will it really be the case that in Ableton 9 there will be only 16 tracks available for both Midi and Audio from unlimited midi and 64 audio tracks in version 8? How can this represent an upgrade? Although version 9 Intro will benefit from a number of new features surely this represents a downgrade!!
Why was this decided, I wonder?
Are you sure you have unlimited MIDI tracks in Intro? Maybe that's a difference between Intro and Lite, but my ***Lite*** only has 8 tracks for both Midi and Audio. Only really use Live for MIDI, but now I'm kinda curious about Live Intro... Um, 8!

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:12 pm

lowshelf wrote:Are you sure you have unlimited MIDI tracks in Intro? Maybe that's a difference between Intro and Lite, but my ***Lite*** only has 8 tracks for both Midi and Audio.
Positive on all three counts, though the Lite versions may differ according to which edition they are (i.e. what hardware they came with). - BUT, as Eventful pointed out, you are limited to a certain number of instruments you can use in one Set.
Only really use Live for MIDI, but now I'm kinda curious about Live Intro... Um, 8!
Well, get it now at 25% off.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Brilliant, thank you!

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:57 pm

There seems to be some confusion on this.

Intro is more powerful than any version of Lite. I've used and abused them both.
Lite is limited explicity.
Intro is not. While you have a limit to how many things you can do AT ONCE, you have the option to freeze and flatten a track, and only take up one audio track (You get 64) and continue making music (But not before saving a backup in-case you need to change that sound later).

I think that this work-around is why they've changed it in Intro 9.

chrk

Post by chrk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:36 pm

funken wrote:Yeah grab Live 8 now while it's 25% off and you get a free upgrade to live 9.
Not if you get Intro, there's a 50€ voucher for a future Live 9 purchase, though.
Eventful wrote:While you have a limit to how many things you can do AT ONCE, you have the option to freeze and flatten a track, and only take up one audio track (You get 64) and continue making music (But not before saving a backup in-case you need to change that sound later).

Excelent point. - Though it doesn't get you past eight scenes, which will persist in Live 9.

I think that this work-around is why they've changed it in Intro 9.
chrk wrote:..., only now the limbo bar is even lower.
:lol:

balonny

Post by balonny » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 pm

Hmmm, I'm gonna keep Live 8, happy with it for now.
Still learning bunch of things, gonna take some time till I decide to switch to 9.
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:29 pm

balonny wrote:Hmmm, I'm gonna keep Live 8, happy with it for now.
Still learning bunch of things, gonna take some time till I decide to switch to 9.
Do not buy Intro 9 if you already have Intro 8. It is not an upgrade. Just an update.
But by all means, Live 9 could be a powerful update or upgrade for anyone.

nigel2712

Post by nigel2712 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:19 am

Ableton Live Intro is marketed as suitable for home recordists and hobbyist musicians and Standard for bands and professionals and Suite for professional/studio musicians. I am a hobby musician and really like Ableton 8. It is a pity that there is no upgrade to Live 9 Intro but even more disappointing that Live 9 Intro is effectively a downgrade from Ableton 8 Intro. There is a huge difference in price between the Intro version and the Standard and Suite version. For an Ableton 8 Intro user there is really no future with Ableton other than sticking with 8 (which is OK by the way) or upgrading to Standard at a much higher price! Honestly this is not right. Unlimited instruments and effects is very good but what they are giving with the one hand they are taking away with the other!
I am really happy with Ableton Intro but it is very disappointing that there is no future upgrade path for us other than paying out big bucks (for what we don't really need)!!
Last edited by nigel2712 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nigel2712

Post by nigel2712 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 am

Basically, I would have liked to have the improved automation and the ability to automate in the session view, to get the improved midi editing, group tracks and maybe the new browser. A very modest upgrade. But to get this I would have to pay again for the Intro 9 licence and accept the track capacity to be decimated. I mean why not make the modest upgrade available for a reasonable fee and not drastically slash the number of tracks available. Is that asking too much?

balonny

Post by balonny » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 am

I use Live 8 Suite, so Live Intro 9 would be just a downgrade in spite of some nice features.
Basically, in my case, if and when I decide to upgrade it will be to Live 9 Suite.
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk