.ASD "Date Modified" updates sometimes with WAV files?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jaynyc

.ASD "Date Modified" updates sometimes with WAV files?

Post by jaynyc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:32 pm

(i have rewritten the initial post)

Scenario:
1. Start Live 8, clear the decoder cache in Preferences, create a New set.

2. Navigate Live's file browser to a folder which contains 12 (any # is fine) already warped WAV & ASD file pairs.

3. Open a Windows (or whatever) pane of the same above folder which contains your WAV & ASD file pairs. Notice the Date Modified of your various ASD files.

4. Open a Windows (or whatever) pane to your Ableton Cache folder.

5. In Live, drag all 12 WAV files from Live's browser into a bank of open clip slots in an audio track.

6. Check the Ableton Cache folder... it will be empty (obviously, since you are dragging WAVs)

7. Check the folder which contains your WAV & ASD file pairs. When I try this, I see 10 updated ASD files-- Date Modified to just now.

Question A: Why does Live update ANY of my ASD files in this scenario?
Question B: Why does Live update SOME but NOT ALL of my 12 ASD files in this scenario?

Thanks for any insight or guidance here.

--jay
Last edited by jaynyc on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

yur2die4

Re: .ASD "Date Modified" changes when just playing a clip?

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm

In the case of mp3 and some other formats, that decoder cache will hold the actual audio which will be used by Ableton Live. If the asd does not tell Ableton where that sample is stored, you won't be able to play your 'mp3'

jaynyc

Re: .ASD "Date Modified" changes when just playing a clip?

Post by jaynyc » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12 pm

yur2die4 wrote:In the case of mp3 and some other formats, that decoder cache will hold the actual audio which will be used by Ableton Live. If the asd does not tell Ableton where that sample is stored, you won't be able to play your 'mp3'
But what I don't understand is why Live updates the ASD files (which are pre-warped WAV & ASD file pairs) at all? In my original example above, I thought Live would have updated 0 (zero) of the 12 and thus not caused any Date Modified changes to any of the ASDs.