Reproducing songs for practice?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iliveinmyguitar

Reproducing songs for practice?

Post by iliveinmyguitar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 am

Do you guys think that attempting to remake well know songs is good practice for becoming a better producer? Are there any step by step instructions outthere that you might know of that guide you through the process? I've been looking around on YouTube and doing all the tutorials I can. I'm getting there but I feel like a step by step remake of a deadmau5's song for example would just give a lot more clarity to the application of all the techniques I'm learning. Thanks in advance!

sounddevisor

Re: Reproducing songs for practice?

Post by sounddevisor » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 pm

Trying to recreate an existing song is a great way to learn! It doesn't have to be well-known, and you may get more out of trying to do it entirely on your own rather than watching, or following along with, somebody else's tutorial.

In fact, one teaching technique used at the Berklee School of Music is to have students create a "sound-alike" recording - that is, try to reproduce as exactly as possible some existing recording. It forces you to use your ears in a whole lot of different ways - you have to be able to hear the song (i.e. the chord changes, melody, recognizable licks;) the orchestration (which instruments were used;) the arrangement or song structure; and the recording techniques (were instruments miked or recorded direct, are there synth sounds, are there loops, etc.)

I grew up studying jazz, and one of the most common learning techniques jazz players use is to transcribe solos (or even entire recordings.) Creating a "sound-alike" is, to me, the modern producer's equivalent of this practice - it's a way of training and focusing your ability to listen analytically. Even if you don't succeed in reproducing the song exactly, you will certainly learn a lot during the process.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:57 pm

no

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:45 am

Reproducing songs is only acceptable if you sell it as your own without giving credit to the original artist.

balonny

Post by balonny » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:39 pm

As a way of practicing perhaps it's not such bad idea, but try to limit yourself to coping others, it may block your own ideas and kill your inspiration..I consider that always comes first.
So for some limited time perhaps it's a good way to pick up few tips and technical info, but it's always better to develop your own sound, style and learn at your own pace along the way.
It's gonna take some time in any case, so it's better to be original.
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 pm

I tried recreating a few bits of stuff...

Just for A. the challenge. I like a challenge

B. To practice working quickly without much care for how the track turns out. its just a bit of fun so the results not too important. Practice keyboard short cuts ect

C. its fun

D. It will help train your ear

E. It is great for those moments when you feel like making music, but you don't feel inspired , But you do want to do something productive

I recreated a sonic theme I was feeling nostalgic about at the time, for fun, working as quickly as I could in about 3 hours

https://soundcloud.com/psychoactive-music/sonic-master

Here's a skrillex bassline I made inspired by a tutorial I watched of mr bill. But I used FM8 and massive and made my own patches ect. Not a big skrillex fan but yeah, Not taking it too seriously

https://soundcloud.com/psychoactive-mus ... illex-bass