Sends on Drum Rack Chains

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Syncretia

Sends on Drum Rack Chains

Post by Syncretia » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I've come to really like the Drum Rack instrument. It's near perfect for how I do drums.However, you can't do sends from the individual chains to normal return tracks. If I could do a send from say my kick, or my snare to a proper Ableton Return Track, Drum Rack would be complete.

A typical case where this is a problem.

-I set up a verb return track so that everything can use the same kind of verb
-Create a track and add Drum Rack
-I load up a kick, snare, hihat
-I want verb on my snare
-I create a verb return in Drum Rack (Thus duplicating my Reverb instance)
-I up the send A on the snare to get verb on the snare

This is fine. However, when I am mixing I want my reverb to only go through one channel. This is so that I can separate reverb and the dry signal of everything. I can then later turn the reverb up or down in one place rather than hunting down individual FX instances within the return on the Drum Rack.

The above is only an example. This is also a problem for other FX.
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

JuanSOLO

Re: Sends on Drum Rack Chains

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:21 am

You CAN send DrumRack Cells to actual return tracks. When you create a return chain in your drumRack select the return with your reverb on it from the menu under "Audio To" in the I/O section of the drumRack.

ALSO, you can nest a drumRack within a DrumRack cell giving you more routing and macro mapping options if needed.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:54 am

JuanSOLO wrote:You CAN send DrumRack Cells to actual return tracks. When you create a return chain in your drumRack select the return with your reverb on it from the menu under "Audio To" in the I/O section of the drumRack.

ALSO, you can nest a drumRack within a DrumRack cell giving you more routing and macro mapping options if needed.
I do this all the time. My plug of choice is utility, for no other reason but the name really.

Kruddler, You can send 6 return tracks within the drunrack to the main returns:
Start with activating one by droping Utility (or whatever plug) on the first return in the drumrack. Copy the new return track with the plug. Remove the Utility plugs from the two returns. Now copy the second return 4 more times, and you should have 6 in total returns to the master returns.

There needs to be a plug in the returns to create these kinds of returns. But you can remove those plugs when the main returns are selected as i/o for the drumrack returns.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:57 am

ze2be wrote:There needs to be a plug in the returns to create these kinds of returns. But you can remove those plugs when the main returns are selected as i/o for the drumrack returns.
interesting, I just right click "Create Return" and I have a blank return chain in my DrumRack.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:14 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
ze2be wrote:There needs to be a plug in the returns to create these kinds of returns. But you can remove those plugs when the main returns are selected as i/o for the drumrack returns.
interesting, I just right click "Create Return" and I have a blank return chain in my DrumRack.
Yup, but do you get the i/o option to main sends then? Im not in the studio atm, but seem to remember this trick was needed..

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:11 am

I just click the I/O button and the R button, and I have a little sub box showing asking me to 'Drop Audio Effects Here'

in that sub box, right click "Create Return Chain," wa la blank return spot for my DrumRack

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:51 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I just click the I/O button and the R button, and I have a little sub box showing asking me to 'Drop Audio Effects Here'

in that sub box, right click "Create Return Chain," wa la blank return spot for my DrumRack
Alright, then I mixed up my methods, im on the iphone here.

Identity Theft

Post by Identity Theft » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 pm

thanks
Last edited by Identity Theft on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 pm

ok

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

thanks for this thread!!