Izotope Ozone in Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ttilberg

Re: Izotope Ozone in Ableton

Post by ttilberg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Your reverb settings (and potentially band pass filter settings, depending on how far back we're talking here) will move your sounds back further in space.

I believe that the 'Pre-Delay' and reflection setting in Ableton's reverb effect affects this illusion most effectively... (?)

Very small delays (in terms of miliseconds) can also give the appearance of depth

Regarding your comment about panning, it is not being suggested to hard pan things left and right to create the stage presence -- in fact, in a class I took, the guy told me that he usually considers 25 L/R to be the standard left and right, and things panned further than that start to seem weird in the mix space.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:00 pm

Ah right I see. But is it common practice to duplicate a guitar track for instance, and pan one track 25L and one track 25R? Because it seems odd to me to simply pan a track to the left for example without balancing it out? Or is this normal?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Wouldn't that just equate to it being balanced center? When it is panned 25L, you still have signal coming through on the right channel, so it shouldn't sound weird or anything. If you are looking for it to be balanced in that sense, then you should leave it centered.

The only difference might be if you duplicated it and processed it differently, like EQ, or applied small delay, but that could probably be done more efficiently too in one channel using an effects group.
Last edited by ttilberg on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:37 pm

dilshan89 wrote:Ah right I see. But is it common practice to duplicate a guitar track for instance, and pan one track 25L and one track 25R? Because it seems odd to me to simply pan a track to the left for example without balancing it out? Or is this normal?
You probably need to sit down for a couple of hours and ACTUALLY LISTEN to some music. Using the same song, listen through headphones and then on your monitors. Make yourself aware of where the instruments are placed. Focus your hearing on what the guitars are doing in the mix. You will have a good chance at answering this question yourself.

Also, have you read Izotope’s guide to Mastering with Ozone? Its free and sounds like will be worth your time to read.

One important point is that when mastering you’re really just focused on improving a mixed down stereo file.(page 9 of this guide)

From the discussion earlier in your thread, sounds like you are misunderstanding the tool that Ozone is and what it is intended for.
dilshan89 wrote:What I was wondering was if these Izotope Ozone functions could successfully replace and remove the need for using Ableton's in-built EQ plug ins and compressor plug ins?
What specifically do you not like about Ableton’s plugs? If you do not yet understand the use of panning and reverb then I am sure you also do not know about EQ and Compression.

If you have $25 to spend, buy a months subscription to http://www.lynda.com and check out in particular the Foundations of Audio videos on Reverb, Delay and Modulation, EQ and Filters and Compression and Dynamic Processing. It will be 10 hours of your time well well spent.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Gjm, nice link!

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks guys, will definitely hit up that link. That's 10 hrs I quite desperately need to spend learning this stuff. Just one more question though. Let's say I actually use Ozone to master my track...if I was to then think to myself- 'Hmm, this song could really use some strings', how big an issue is this? Could I just add the strings section and not much would have to be altered in Ozone? Or would I have to re-master the track entirely?

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Any ideas guys?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mixdowns.pdf

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mastering.pdf

I think those will answer most of the questions you've been asking in this thread.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

MusicIsMath

Post by MusicIsMath » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 pm

There's not much of a better source than this ..... https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 4169,d.d2k

Yeps guide. This guy breaks it down well and if you take on board the info in that PDF, you won't be far off a great mix without use of Ozone.

If you want to add instruments before final mix down, you will have to alter some things in the mix to get it to sit right, but I doubt you would have to redo all of the mix. ;)