Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 am

Like I said earlier though, if all you're looking for is a better mixing environment then the Harrison Mix Bus is on sale for $40!

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/ ... index.html

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 am

I barely use the clip view at all and most of my composition is done in a linear fashion which you would think would be more suited to Logic.

But after using Logic for about a fortnight I found that simple editing of clips like cut and paste, snapping to grid and moving things about was alot more difficult than in Live.

Also simply opening Logic and trying to just record something quickly is a lot longer process than in Live.

I dunno maybe it is just me and didnt RTFM on editing.

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 am

distaudio wrote:I barely use the clip view at all and most of my composition is done in a linear fashion which you would think would be more suited to Logic.

But after using Logic for about a fortnight I found that simple editing of clips like cut and paste, snapping to grid and moving things about was alot more difficult than in Live.

Also simply opening Logic and trying to just record something quickly is a lot longer process than in Live.

Take a look at Studio One.
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 am

OzWozEre wrote:
distaudio wrote:I barely use the clip view at all and most of my composition is done in a linear fashion which you would think would be more suited to Logic.

Honestly, it's a matter of RTFM, like he said.
No offense intended,

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 am

Machinesworking wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:

No offense intended,
No worries here mate -- just trying to be "helpful" :)
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:46 am

Machinesworking wrote:
OzWozEre wrote:

No offense intended,
The biggest issue i have is trying to adjust the size of a clip to a fixed length like 8.0.0.0. Something that is hard to put into words when trying to search in the manual.

I try the crtl + shift method which narrows down to 0.0.0.1 but that seems to be quite laborious when having to do it for alot of clips. Is there a shortcut that can just cut the lengths to the nearest division?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 am

At the top right corner of Logic you'll see the snap settings. Make sure it's set to Smart or Bar (your preference) and that Snap To Absolute Value is checked in the drop down menu for it too.

Personally, if it was me it would be between Live 9 and Studio One at the moment. The next version of Logic is bound to be due soon, and I'd hate to have to pay to upgrade to that version later. You never know with Apple. (even before Logic went app store only, ugrades were $199, so that part doesn't bother me at all).

But really, IMO Studio One is much better than Logic at just about everything anyway. Logic isn't a bad program at all, it's just a bit long in the tooth compared to the rest of the current DAWs. I used Studio One more and more these days instead of Logic, mainly for client mixdowns. I like the mixer functions, though it does suck that most of the transport key commands assume you have a numeric keypad.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: Similarly I see those pictures with the walls of old analog gear with wires running all over the place and the only thing I can think is what a mess and nightmare. I think the same people who get excited by those pictures are the ones who get the most excited about Live.
I'm under the opposite impression. Live seems geared towards clutter free types with minimal setups.
Inevitably someone with a modular will probably have Live and Cubase, Logic, DP etc. also, but you're going to find a lot of Logic users in that crowd for sure. Why? because in Logic you can rewire the MIDI in crazy ways and set up virtual MIDI versions of your hardware.

I kind of oversimplified what I meant. I think Live with M4L is the DAW for people who like to tweak things similar to Reaktor enthusiasts. Live's racks also come to mind for that. Other DAWs are for people who just want to do old school music recording...but maybe also tweak. A great deal of questions I see on here are people trying to do some deep audio/automation/MIDI routing or some elaborate performance setup I don’t think you see with other DAWs.

Tarekith wrote:But really, IMO Studio One is much better than Logic at just about everything anyway. Logic isn't a bad program at all, it's just a bit long in the tooth compared to the rest of the current DAWs. I used Studio One more and more these days instead of Logic, mainly for client mixdowns. I like the mixer functions, though it does suck that most of the transport key commands assume you have a numeric keypad.
I thought Logic had a steep learning curve beyond the basics but I found it even worse with Studio One. I couldn’t figure out how to do a damn thing with that DAW. With so many DAW options out there I’ll pass on anything I can’t figure out even the most basic of functions on without having to RTFM.

You like using it mainly for client mixdowns? I'm assuming you mean clients just send you audio files you toss in it. It could be better for that but I mainly work with MIDI only and I just didn't get it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Horses for courses, I found it really easy to learn. But I was a long time Cubase user too, and there's a lot of overlap with that.

Then again, I never use MIDI either.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Tarekith wrote: I like the mixer functions, though it does suck that most of the transport key commands assume you have a numeric keypad.
are Studio One's controls similar to Cubase in that regard? + to forward - to rewind etc?

that kinda pissed me off when i realized that the lack of the number pad on my iMac's keyboard means that i have to buy a new keyboard for Cubase if i want to avoid mousing around. :x

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:00 pm

selurovlov wrote:and is studio one's instruments any good?
Don't look to S1 for its instruments, it only has the bases covered.

Look to it for it's DSP and as the DAW Mothership you've always wanted, i.e use
all your nice synth/sampler plugins :)

I found it very easy to started with it, maybe it's an "audio" thing rather than a "midi" thing.

Edit: It's DSP plugs/components are top-notch though.

Illumin

Post by Illumin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

I too have always contemplated Logic as I have a fair amount of hours with it despite not having it, but if I'm really serious about it, I'm going to try to hold off until X comes about. I do currently have Studio One v2.5 and Cubase 6.5. Studio One is definitely quick to go about....it has a lot of similarities with the best functions of most of the DAWs, and is quick to use. They're still fairly new but are very responsive with with their fixes and new feature implementation. Overall, it does get the job done, but if you're into complex midi tools and editing, it still has a way to go, but that's not to say you can still accomplish what you need to. I really enjoy it when I'm mostly working with audio too, and very little midi.

I moved to Cubase first after "leaving" Live, and really enjoyed the more complexity and tools there, but then gave S1 a shot, and ended up using S1 more for quickness. I agree about the lack of session is better for me too. Since the L9 news flash, I've been use, or trying to, Live 8 again, and even the L9 beta, and as much they've been inspiring, I have found myself stuck with the session view and not really accomplishing anything again. I know its as simple as copying to the arrange view, but it just feels to be a big chore because I've spent so long in Session. Also, I much prefer the linear job to be done in Cubase or S1 anyway, and I really don't like re-wiring. The main thing I have missed from Live are the Drum and Instrument Racks, mostly Drum though, but recently I purchased a Maschine Mk2, and that seems to help much in that area, as well as a bit of Session view aspect. What I really enjoy lately though with Live is the feel of playing and jamming Live, but again, that leads to not progressing in a songs state (for me).
"stuff"

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 am

there's some stuff in the l9 beta which unless addressed will force me to stay in l8.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:20 pm

If you have an interest in being more serious about music production, then its worth getting Logic as its good to know as many DAWs as possible. If you want a DAW tailored for traditional audio mixing, then look at Pro Tools over Logic. People rave on about Logic's bundled effects & instruments, but the majority of them are really old by now and I was using them back when I first started using Logic in 2005 and do feel compared to what is out there these days, they do feel dated (None ever get updated) and I always hated Logic's instruments personally. Personally I consider Logic as a more "serious" work tool whereas Live is more "fun".

Illumin

Post by Illumin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Sage wrote:If you have an interest in being more serious about music production, then its worth getting Logic as its good to know as many DAWs as possible. If you want a DAW tailored for traditional audio mixing, then look at Pro Tools over Logic. People rave on about Logic's bundled effects & instruments, but the majority of them are really old by now and I was using them back when I first started using Logic in 2005 and do feel compared to what is out there these days, they do feel dated (None ever get updated) and I always hated Logic's instruments personally. Personally I consider Logic as a more "serious" work tool whereas Live is more "fun".
I think in all fairness though, this is more preference rather than being more serious about production. It really depends on one's own capabilities and willingness to be more serious. All the DAW's will achieve the nearly the same, just with different toolsets and workflows.
"stuff"