Gay Forum Members

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Gay Forum Members

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Until recently most of my direct dealings with (known) gay men was through females who were a wreck of a human being. I have no problem with gay men, but women who surround themselves mostly with gay men should be avoided like the plague. :x

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Because no one cares...
Because Whatever.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm

beats me wrote:Until recently most of my direct dealings with (known) gay men was through females who were a wreck of a human being. I have no problem with gay men, but women who surround themselves mostly with gay men should be avoided like the plague. :x
Yeah definitely, They always seem to be the first person in the room who wants to do a line of coke, even if no one wants anything to do with coke.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 pm

andydes wrote:Sounds like you need to meet more interesting gay people.

Explain, because they are interesting as hell.

Usually quite highly educated, well off, activists, fashion forward, fun at parties...

:?:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm

I was refering to this statement-
LoopStationZebra wrote:It's nearly impossible for them to NOT talk about being gay. If they had equal rights across the board, and were accepted unconditionally, there would be nothing to talk about.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:04 pm

So are you saying that gay people in London don't talk about being gay a lot?

One of the most common phrases when hanging out is..."As I gay man I ______________".

I've noticed, however, that Lesbians aren't quite as infatuated with the subject of their own sexuality. They seem to shut it inside a bit more. Kind of like a man. :P

:x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Then, when you get a lot of gay men together I've noticed:

There a huge amount of gay name calling. Big Nelly Bottom. Queen. Bottom. Girl. Girlfriend. Sister. Homo. Queer. ffs. It's like a redneck convention but with shoes that match the belt. :lol:

Discussion of who's butch and who thinks they are butch is HUGE. lol.

etc etc.

Inevitably someone will bring up who's seen the Wizard of Oz more times than anyone else, and how Anderson Cooper being gay was the worst kept secret at Fire Island for years.

:lol:

When talk turn to politics, abortion isn't discussed at all. The budget isn't discussed. It's 80% gay rights issues, and which Republican congressmen are homos (exact term).

I'm sure they talk about other things at SOME point, but I've seen little evidence of this over the past 20 years.

:lol:

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Well, the gay people I know don't tend to beat you round the head with it (Ok, maybe one or two). They're certainly out there though, especially in late night dance music venues. And it's true, you often know someone's gay pretty soon after meeting them, but this could just be because of the way you meet people in real life as opposed to how you talk on a forum.

Social situation 1. You're talking to someone at a party and they introduce you to their partner. Kind of hard not to notice.

Situation 2. You're talking to a random guy in a bar. He says he's gay and single and asks if you are gay or straight. There's often a reason for this line of conversation. :wink:

Situation 3. Talking to a girl at a bar. She says she's a lesbian. Sometimes this is just so you don't get your hopes up. But could be your cue to go the fuck away.

Situation 4. With a bunch of friends talking about relationships. It generally comes out then.

None of these really crop up in forum conversation.

The gay guy I know who advertises it the least is actually from New York. He doesn't like to think of it as his most defining trait, so he'll rarely mention it to new people. Unfortunately is boy friend is a whole lot less subtle .

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Yeah, cool. I didn't mean to imply they ever beat you over the head with it...just that it's definitely brought up quite frequently.

:)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm

There have been a few openly gay forum members, but they eventually stop posting. Netiquette simply doesn't exist here.
It's a double edged sword IMO, makes the place more interesting but makes it more homogenous as well. There's not a strict monitoring system here, so if someone wants to take the gay jokes to new levels they'll have to seriously cross obvious lines before a mod steps in. What this does it allow for crowd aesthetic level bullying, as in gay jokes about how some straight member is hawt, how they did gay acts etc. sure all in good fun, but not 100%. No doubt out of even 100 straight males who identify as "progressive" some of them will be homophobic to a point to where their gay 'humor' is acidic. Honestly I wouldn't be able to tell, but if I was gay it wouldn't be hard.

Ask yourself if you would hang out on a I dunno? say an unmoderated Rap forum that was all black males, you are the only white guy. Occasionally they would call each other oreos (black outside, white inside), and talk about how white people were the devil, all white people are short dicked racists etc. and when confronted say it's all in good fun stop being a pussy?
It's the homogeny and structure of a forum that dictates the amount of outsiders that feel comfortable. The premiere MOTU forum has quite a few longstanding female members probably because the forum is heavily moderated, no politics, religion, sex, or really anything controversial. It's boring compared to here, but it's 'safe'.

Also, most of the lesbians I've met are as wrapped up in their sexuality as gay men, just a lot less social signifiers are apparent usually.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:58 pm

+1...

What a silly topic. :roll:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Homebelly wrote:
+1...

Really? Why is it silly? Do you think I'm just fucking around with this one?

I'm not, actually.

I belong to a number of other (non music) forums and there's a fair amount of openly gay members.

:|

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Machinesworking wrote:There have been a few openly gay forum members, but they eventually stop posting. Netiquette simply doesn't exist here.
It's a double edged sword IMO, makes the place more interesting but makes it more homogenous as well. There's not a strict monitoring system here, so if someone wants to take the gay jokes to new levels they'll have to seriously cross obvious lines before a mod steps in. What this does it allow for crowd aesthetic level bullying, as in gay jokes about how some straight member is hawt, how they did gay acts etc. sure all in good fun, but not 100%. No doubt out of even 100 straight males who identify as "progressive" some of them will be homophobic to a point to where their gay 'humor' is acidic. Honestly I wouldn't be able to tell, but if I was gay it wouldn't be hard.

Ask yourself if you would hang out on a I dunno? say an unmoderated Rap forum that was all black males, you are the only white guy. Occasionally they would call each other oreos (black outside, white inside), and talk about how white people were the devil, all white people are short dicked racists etc. and when confronted say it's all in good fun stop being a pussy?
It's the homogeny and structure of a forum that dictates the amount of outsiders that feel comfortable. The premiere MOTU forum has quite a few longstanding female members probably because the forum is heavily moderated, no politics, religion, sex, or really anything controversial. It's boring compared to here, but it's 'safe'.

Also, most of the lesbians I've met are as wrapped up in their sexuality as gay men, just a lot less social signifiers are apparent usually.

Nice post. I find the subject interesting, though I suppose not everyone will. Sure, it started because of a few new 'gay this or that' threads, but it got me thinking...

:!:

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
+1...

Really? Why is it silly? Do you think I'm just fucking around with this one?

I'm not, actually.

I belong to a number of other (non music) forums and there's a fair amount of openly gay members.

:|
I consider it a silly thread because in the context of the ableton forum I don't see why it is important to know who is gay or female or black or Chinese or what ever..

If a topic comes up that might be about discrimination or some other kind of bias and someone choses to out them selves to help qualify a statement they have made, then that is all good. But starting a thread like this then filling it with stereo typical heterosexual statements about what you perceve gay people to be like is, in my opinion, boarder line harassment.

I'm not sure there will be any enlightenment to be had in this thread.
Just the same old same old homophobic statements about gay people being fashionable.. funny.. self depreciating..
Or other statements about how woman that hang out with gay men are not to be trusted..
These are broad and quite crass statements.
And all that usually happens is a few people, like me, see through this kind of conversation, get angry and despair at the state of society, then leave.
While every one else gets affirmation that how they think, and what they say on the mater is okay.

Like i said..

A very silly, pointless and possibly offensive post.

Good luck with it..

See ya later.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:08 am

omfg.

:roll: