Been learning Ableton from scratch for the last 2 months.

Share your tracks with other users.
ProfoundTactics

Been learning Ableton from scratch for the last 2 months.

Post by ProfoundTactics » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Been learning to use Ableton for the past couple of months, so thought I'd post this up. I've literally just got a new pair of monitors, so still getting to grips with the mixing. Also, I really need to get some bass traps, so forgive me if anything sounds a little out of place.

Recorded all the guitar into a Scarlett 2i2 interface, then used beat-repeat with my Akai MPD26 and worked out/recorded the structure. Also used the MPD26 to make the beats and sample the vocal on the pads. (Vocal was chopped up, assigned to the MPD26 pads, then transposed) I also sampled the vinyl crackle you hear, then sidechained it, giving it that kind of white noise effect.

I guess it's 'Post-dubstep' whatever that even means anymore! I've tried to blend the elements of that, with math-rock style guitar (Pele, Minus the Bear, Foals etc)

Enjoy, and please leave feedback, good or bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7PzFM4APk

pistacchioso

Re: Been learning Ableton from scratch for the last 2 months.

Post by pistacchioso » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm not expert enough to give you any advice or constructive criticism, but I just wanted to let you know that I find it surprisingly well done and moving, reminds me of World's End Girlfriend, an artist that I love. Thanks for sharing.

ProfoundTactics

Post by ProfoundTactics » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Thank you man, that's much appreciated. I just checked out that band, wow they're awesome! Massive compliment.

madlab

Post by madlab » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Nice and original work. To polish it further, you should track down and find solutions to suppress the occasional clicks, my guess is on the guitar slices.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:24 pm

great! love it. I enjoy listening to the books, guess you know them, no?

listening now to world's end girlfriend, that's brilliant as well. thanks for posting!

ProfoundTactics

Post by ProfoundTactics » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm

madlab wrote:Nice and original work. To polish it further, you should track down and find solutions to suppress the occasional clicks, my guess is on the guitar slices.
Thanks! Do you mean the clicks at the very beginning when it's just the guitar playing? I've only just noticed that. The other clicks are there intentionally (The ones panned to the left, more like finger snaps)

Which one did you mean? Cheers for the advice though, will try and sort it!

ProfoundTactics

Post by ProfoundTactics » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm

pepezabala wrote:great! love it. I enjoy listening to the books, guess you know them, no?

listening now to world's end girlfriend, that's brilliant as well. thanks for posting!
Cheers man! I've never actually heard of 'the books' before haha, just checked them out. Very cool. I love their guitar work.

ProfoundTactics

Post by ProfoundTactics » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Would anyone mind letting me know how the mix sounds? Especially the bass. I just got a new pair of monitors, so just trying to position them correctly for the flattest response.

If you could let me know whether the mix sounds dull overall, or too much bass etc.

Muchos apreciados

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I find the bass muddy and overwhelming.

HAVING SAID THAT if this is what you can do after only two months, then 8O

+ Good general vibe
+ Relaxed song structure

- Poor mixing
- Over reliance on Beat Repeat style effects (which are also introducing unintentional clicks)

Tip 1: If you're repeating by chopping and pasting, then click the "fade" button in the sample window to avoid clicks.
Tip 2: Learn as much as you can about compression, EQ, and Bus mixing.
Tip 3: Don't "master" anything. Just mix until perfect.
Tip 4: Don't think bass traps will make you mix better. Learning to mix better will make you mix better.
Tip 5: Post more. I like.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Tip 6: To know if your bass is too loud, compare it to other songs you like on the same speakers. In fact, just put on some tunes you dig and adjust speakers until happy. Then never change your set up ever again. I also like to A/B my mixes on headphones, iPhone speakers and MacBook Speakers. Then again, I'm an idiot.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

ProfoundTactics

Post by ProfoundTactics » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:44 pm

d.reamonn wrote:I find the bass muddy and overwhelming.

HAVING SAID THAT if this is what you can do after only two months, then 8O

+ Good general vibe
+ Relaxed song structure

- Poor mixing
- Over reliance on Beat Repeat style effects (which are also introducing unintentional clicks)

Tip 1: If you're repeating by chopping and pasting, then click the "fade" button in the sample window to avoid clicks.
Tip 2: Learn as much as you can about compression, EQ, and Bus mixing.
Tip 3: Don't "master" anything. Just mix until perfect.
Tip 4: Don't think bass traps will make you mix better. Learning to mix better will make you mix better.
Tip 5: Post more. I like.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to write out that reply! I think I have to agree with the bass being muddy, I was having a little bit of trouble with it sounding smooth. Do you have any tips on which frequencies to roll off/roll up in EQ8? Also, which is the best wave to use (Sine/Square? etc) Is this best done in Operator?

I think the overuse of beat repeat is just preference really, because that's actually the sound I was going for. (Clicks weren't intentional!) I recorded the guitar, then assigned beat repeat to about four dials/faders with different settings, then recorded it live. Didn't copy and paste/chop up anything.

I realise bass traps won't make me 'mix better' but if I'm getting a false sense of what the sound is (i.e the bass) then surely, they couldn't hurt? When I was mixing, the bass sounded VERY weak. I've adjusted a few things (Monitor placement in room, referenced with other albums) and I think I have the bass sorted now.

When you say 'poor mixing' would you care to elaborate? Are you referring to the overall mix, or the blend of the bass with the rest of the tracks?

Again, thank you for the tips/advice. Much appreciated! All very helpful stuff.