Gay Forum Members

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Gay Forum Members

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 pm

rozling wrote: I don't think the topic itself is silly - given these recent posts it's quite timely - but some of these responses are disappointing at best. Reading back over the thread I'd agree with this:
homebelly wrote: i can also see how the entire thread can be seen as quite offensive to any one on the board that might be gay.
Lots of generalisations about gay people that don't contribute to the conversation...

I've hung around here for a long time because I always thought of it as a diverse community of people with a common interest, but lately I've been left with an uneasy feeling and I'm wondering whether it's time to move on. Someone described it as homogenous which I thought was fairly accurate...

We've always revelled in minimal moderation – if this is what the community is now then so be it... I'd be interested in what the mods/Ableton think of it though.

nathann I feel bad for you man, you must be an incredibly good looking guy! My gay friends have never once tried to 'convert' me... maybe you're sending out the wrong vibes :wink:

Interesting.

I've now shown 3 of my gay friends this thread. They all LOL'd. Not a single one found it offensive or homophobic. They were actually all sort of shocked that not a single openly gay person has ever posted at the Ableton forum.

There you go. Not exactly a mass sampling, but interesting nontheless. Be curious is MW showed some of his lesbian friends this thread.

As far as generalizations about gay people. They can border on the offensive, but all my gay mates LOVE to tease each other endlessly about who's the bigger Queen.

ENDLESSLY.

The irony is that in a 5min conversation they throw around more stereotypes than you'd find in this thread. Far more. Is that okay because they are gay and I'm not? That's another discussion.

I think the sensitivity is understandable, but silly in the extreme.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
As far as generalizations about gay people. They can border on the offensive, but all my gay mates LOVE to tease each other endlessly about who's the bigger Queen.

ENDLESSLY.

The irony is that in a 5min conversation they throw around more stereotypes than you'd find in this thread. Far more. Is that okay because they are gay and I'm not? That's another discussion.

I think the sensitivity is understandable, but silly in the extreme.

Well the difference is they know each other? I dunno.

Now I feel like this guy:

@nathann I LOL'd - didn't realise you had deleted.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 pm

a quick search of the forum will reveal plenty of openly gay members and also plenty of previous twatty posts like OP's. However, i can report that you will find more open homophobe assholes than openly gay members by doing that search. Are you surprised? I kind of am, i would think that on a forum about electronic music, an artform that has a very rich gay history, people might not be as fucking stupid as the rest of the population. Sadly, that assumption is incorrect.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:a quick search of the forum will reveal plenty of openly gay members and also plenty of previous twatty posts like OP's. However, i can report that you will find more open homophobe assholes than openly gay members by doing that search. Are you surprised? I kind of am, i would think that on a forum about electronic music, an artform that has a very rich gay history, people might not be as fucking stupid as the rest of the population. Sadly, that assumption is incorrect.

.lm.
8O

Uh oh. Is this one of those situations where anybody who makes stereotype comments is a phobe?

I think that denotation is frequently abused and misused. Pointing out stereotypes doesn’t mean you’re scared of what you’re pointing out. Except I am scared of fag hags. Justifiably horrified the way women are Taliban-phobes. Dangerous individuals out of touch with reality.

In closing: Sheesh.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 pm

some examples of homophobia (not all of the posts, but clearly some):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101645
nathannn wrote:i just listened, god that is horrible.
fags.
they probably have so many plays because other people are linking people in forums to there shity music...
its so gay.. i doubt they would even play this shit in the gay club.
gets worse than that, i can write off nathannn's comments as just ignorant and perhaps not intentionally hateful, but check out our jamaican buddy evon in that thread...

twatty post like OP that's been done before:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70260

i don't really give a shit about talking about stereo types, beats, but i don't really care for people throwing around the word fag or gay as an insult.

.lm.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:26 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:some examples of homophobia (not all of the posts, but clearly some):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101645
nathannn wrote:i just listened, god that is horrible.
fags.
they probably have so many plays because other people are linking people in forums to there shity music...
its so gay.. i doubt they would even play this shit in the gay club.
gets worse than that, i can write off nathannn's comments as just ignorant and perhaps not intentionally hateful, but check out our jamaican buddy evon in that thread...

twatty post like OP that's been done before:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70260

i don't really give a shit about talking about stereo types, beats, but i don't really care for people throwing around the word fag or gay as an insult.

.lm.
Thanks for qouting me and pretending my post had something to do with gay people.
I listened to that bands music again and I still stand by that statement. their music is gay.
oh, and go fuck yourself you overly sensitive ass.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:this looks like a good place to share some wisdom that i gathered in my very brief college experience:

a mouth's a mouth.

ohhh, and another one:

it's not gay if you wear a blindfold.

.lm.

PS - Can i timestretch with live?

:P
omg you must be a homophobe? or ignorant?
you need to be educated because only an ignorant, redneck, hateful, homophobe would say something like that.

yeah i can also line up mis qoutes to have them attend my sympathy party.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Lets pretend we are all nit pickers and look into this qoute by leisuremffin

"a mouths a mouth" - Are you insinuating all gay people are so shallow to only view human beings as objects for oral sex?

"its not gay if you wear a blindfold" - wow, so you are saying here : being gay is so wrong, that you need to wear a blindfold durring acts of homosexuality so you can pretend its not happening and later will have a justification to the sin?

very ignorant statements.

Here is what I think.. You love being the minority and will jump at any false opportunity you can find to be a part of a minority.

no computers or synths

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 pm

they happen to be gay, or at least some of the band members are and you are using the words "fag" and "gay" as insults.

my comments are called "jokes" and aren't the same thing as insults.

.lm.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:they happen to be gay, or at least some of the band members are and you are using the words "fag" and "gay" as insults.

my comments are called "jokes" and aren't the same thing as insults.

.lm.
omg pitty party!, the band happens to be gay. im so insensitive .
im sorry i dont look into a musicians sexual preference before declaring the music to be crap.... or GAY

the problem is you know the context in which the word GAY is being used to describe the music.
the word GAY has evolved over time to take on MANY meanings starting of as meaning happy, do i really need to tell you all of this.

BE AWARE OF THE CONTEXT! ffs.

no computers or synths

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

full disclosure: I'm bi-sexual. I don't politicize it, i don't go around shoving it in people's faces and i don't care what you think about it. But it does offend me when people go around saying fag or gay as insults. I'm not crazy sensitive. i can handle jokes where people use the word faggot or when people say it in a joking context, but not as an insult. That i don't like, sorry. I'm aware of the context, asshole.

.lm.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 pm

nathannn wrote: im sorry i dont look into a musicians sexual preference before declaring the music to be crap.... or GAY
or call them "fags," apparently.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm

@lm. What about playful insults? Usually when I say something is gay or somebody is a fag its generally in reference to something that is an overly sensitive or feminine quality. It has nothing to do with ill feelings towards homosexual men.

To paraphrase the comedian Bill Burr: Straight men can’t like cute or beautiful things because they always have their college buddies in their head going “What are you, a fag?” for their entire life.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
nathannn wrote: im sorry i dont look into a musicians sexual preference before declaring the music to be crap.... or GAY
or call them "fags," apparently.
I promise you I had no clue what so ever of thier sexuality nor do I give a shit, what I said was a JOKE on their musicianship.

Like I feel I proved in my last few post though, I can also go back on your post and make it appear that you are a massive homophobe, Im sure any nitpicking ass could go through other peoples post and make them appear however they need them to appear to fit their agenda.
You cant tell me the word "fag" is not thrown around in the gay bars and in the gay community all the time... You know it is and in almost every context its being used for a joke. I know this as fact from going to the gay bar, since you are the investigative type why dont you find my old post on that.

no computers or synths

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 pm

beats me wrote:@lm. What about playful insults? Usually when I say something is gay or somebody is a fag its generally in reference to something that is an overly sensitive or feminine quality. It has nothing to do with ill feelings towards homosexual men.

To paraphrase the comedian Bill Burr: Straight men can’t like cute or beautiful things because they always have their college buddies in their head going “What are you, a fag?” for their entire life.

you can say whatever you want, to whoever you want, but don't be surprised if calling someone a fag offends someone. you might not mean it "that way" but that doesn't take away the actual vile and hateful nature of the word. How about you try it with the word, "nigger?" Surely you can use that word without being a racist piece of shit, but would you be surprised if it offended someone? If you're really smart, you could probably find a way to use either of those terms with great comical effect, but if you're just some bro that thinks it's funny to call someone a "fag" as a joke, it's probably offensive, and probably shows many people what a stupid fuckwit you are.

.lm.