External sound/patch manager? (M4L request?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

External sound/patch manager? (M4L request?)

Post by sporkles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Does anything like this exist?

I'm thinking of a dedicated programme for your sounds and virtual instruments that lets you sort, rate and preview sounds (I guess the preview bit is a bit too far-fetched for VST instruments, so for sounds, at least).

It can be a pain in the arse having to deal with so many different ways of sorting and rating presets and sounds. Ableton have taken a step in the right direction with Live 9, but to me, it's a half-arsed attempt at best, with the severely flawed "rank" feature, and the way sounds are sorted in general. If at least the rank system actually let you rate patches manually, one could wrap VSTs in racks, but no such luck. And, considering there's still no dual-monitor support in Live 9, the second monitor could be put to use with a third party app.

For single samples, I could of course use any old media organiser, but I would love something that could rate and sort patches from Ableton devices as well as VST instruments. Both Native Instruments and Camel Audio have quite useful sorting systems for their respective instruments (although NI botched it by dropping the rating feature when they discontinued Kore).

The bottom line is: ideally, I'd want to look for sounds/presets without first deciding on a specific synth or sampler. I feel that - when you open up a specific synth, you also get into a certain frame of mind that could be constrictive in your creative process.

Is this something that could be done with Max for Live?

theophilus

Re: External sound/patch manager? (M4L request?)

Post by theophilus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 pm

closest thing I can think of is big tick zen, but it only works for VSTs.

you can drag & drop from some other window into the ableton window, which might work almost equivalently (done this with the windows explorer, for instance). and probably you could do it in max too. i haven't played with it much yet.

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Kore2

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:10 pm

TabSel wrote:Kore2

Funny guy.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 pm

theophilus wrote:closest thing I can think of is big tick zen, but it only works for VSTs.

you can drag & drop from some other window into the ableton window, which might work almost equivalently (done this with the windows explorer, for instance). and probably you could do it in max too. i haven't played with it much yet.
Looks cool; giving it a spin now; thanks.