Step-Shift-Sequencer for Geist etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jkob

Step-Shift-Sequencer for Geist etc.

Post by jkob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Guys.

I am searching a long time for a hardware controller, which controls the shift function on a groove box, like in Fxpansions geist.

Until now, i didn´t find a solution.

I think, the most important feature of a drum loop is the shift function to control every hit, like you want.

All swing features don't really work for me, because the give me another feeling, than i want to.

And the most important thing: i want to get rid of the mouse, but getting really fast to my target for humanizing the drums, like I want.

I sketched a hardware controller like i need, and maybe someone is having a tip for me, how to solve it or if theres a controller which could do this.

Take a look. Thanks.

http://combovaria.com/blog/13706319

aioffermann

Re: Step-Shift-Sequencer for Geist etc.

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:59 am

Push is coming soon.

jkob

Post by jkob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:52 am

As far as i know, Push will not solve this Problem.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:31 am

Push has per-step nudge like you're talking about! :D Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

jkob

Post by jkob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

hey aioffermann, thanks man, but... Cant find this information about nudge-per-step on push, only here viewtopic.php?p=1445659. I dont think its the same, because with a nudge per step it sounds like pushing a note in a grid left or right. but i need a gridless moving of a note to get the note finetuned to another note. If you look at a swinged midifile, the notes are really off a grid, and the shift-function is really helpful on that. maybe you know fxpansions guru or geist or arturia spark? they all have this shift function.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

In my experience, Akai MPC's are the traditional hardware that are always talked about for their timing and feel. You might check one of those out?

Though if you have Geist, you can midi map controllers to the on screen knobs for swing and pattern perameters (shift, etc). There is also one knob on the lower left that can alter ant highlighted perameter in the pater sequencer that might help.

Schmidi

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm

jkob wrote:hey aioffermann, thanks man, but... Cant find this information about nudge-per-step on push, only here viewtopic.php?p=1445659. I dont think its the same, because with a nudge per step it sounds like pushing a note in a grid left or right. but i need a gridless moving of a note to get the note finetuned to another note. If you look at a swinged midifile, the notes are really off a grid, and the shift-function is really helpful on that. maybe you know fxpansions guru or geist or arturia spark? they all have this shift function.
It's one of the main reasons I'm excited about Push. I'll grab a link later today to a video of some dude using it :)

jkob

Post by jkob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Schmidi wrote:In my experience, Akai MPC's are the traditional hardware that are always talked about for their timing and feel. You might check one of those out?

Though if you have Geist, you can midi map controllers to the on screen knobs for swing and pattern perameters (shift, etc). There is also one knob on the lower left that can alter ant highlighted perameter in the pater sequencer that might help.

Schmidi
first:
Yeah, mpc´s are not what i am searching for, they sure have a legendary timing, but only for internal work, isnt it?

second:
i tried to midi map the shifts in geist but its not working. For example: if i click to configure the midi assignments (triangle on the plugin in ableton and then configure) i cant choose the shifts. also i cant use midi learn inside of geist for these parameters. Did you managed that?

jkob

Post by jkob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Maschine can do this and it's very intuitive.
really? how?
I have maschine and i am quite familar with it, but didn´t find this kind of trick.
Only 50% quantize, and whole quantize.
Nothing with kind of shifting notes to left or right.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

If I remember correctly, for Maschine, you select a pad and then and then hold down select (or shift???) and press buttons 3 and 4... Something like that. It says "nudge" in little letters above two of the pads on the Maschine.

jkob

Post by jkob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm

aioffermann wrote:If I remember correctly, for Maschine, you select a pad and then and then hold down select (or shift???) and press buttons 3 and 4... Something like that. It says "nudge" in little letters above two of the pads on the Maschine.
thanks, i will try this. there is also another feature i will try tomorrow, cause i dont have my equipment here:

1) Load a sound and go in step mode
2) Make a few steps
3) select a step by pressing and holding the pad -dont let go
4) turn the swing knob in the master section
- now the note will move with small increments outside grid, controlled with a knob.

And while we are at it, press and hold a step and turn volume in the master section and you adjust volume.

(found in the native instruments forum)

jkob

Post by jkob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 am

jkob wrote:
aioffermann wrote:If I remember correctly, for Maschine, you select a pad and then and then hold down select (or shift???) and press buttons 3 and 4... Something like that. It says "nudge" in little letters above two of the pads on the Maschine.
Tried this, but the nudge function is to nudge a note in a grid, so it isnt what i want.

Good news, but only for maschine: This feature works!

1) Load a sound and go in step mode
2) Make a few steps
3) select a step by pressing and holding the pad -dont let go
4) turn the swing knob in the master section
- now the note will move with small increments outside grid, controlled with a knob.

And while we are at it, press and hold a step and turn volume in the master section and you adjust volume.

(found in the native instruments forum)

In Maschine it works like a charm with the points 1-4. This is a really cool feature for machine. for geist it didn´t work, because (and thats really weird) i cant assign midi to the shift function (WHY NOT?). Anyway, i will stick onto my maschine, although i really like geist with its features.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 pm

jkob: aioffermann is right, Push's nudge is for pushing a drum left or right in micro-adjustments - off the grid, John Connor style. The excellent video at [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxWdvot ... Wg&index=2 ] covers this around the 3:00 mark.

It might seem a little vague, but in the video it's in the context of quantization/swing, but for specific (held) pads. You can hear the adjusted second snare doesn't jump around the grid, it just gets moved subtly.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

jkob wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Maschine can do this and it's very intuitive.
really? how?
I have maschine and i am quite familar with it, but didn´t find this kind of trick.
Only 50% quantize, and whole quantize.
Nothing with kind of shifting notes to left or right.
Ok, I'm getting a little confused, maybe I didn't understand correctly what it is you are trying to do.

I thought your wish is to use a controller to
1st: step sequence your notes (e.g. triggering drum samples) and
2nd: use the controller to nudge certain notes independent of the grid?!

If so, the answer is quite easy:
1: Go into step mode
2: enter notes (according to grid quantization)
3: press entered notes (lid up pads) lightly (and keep pressed and turn (Time) knob.

The note will now be moved left/right in 100th of the chosen grid pattern.
If you move past 1/50th the light of the lid up pad will move to the next pad.

Easy-Peasy

If you meant something totally different and more advanced -excuse my ignorence