Step-Shift-Sequencer for Geist etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Step-Shift-Sequencer for Geist etc.

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

jkob wrote:
aioffermann wrote:If I remember correctly, for Maschine, you select a pad and then and then hold down select (or shift???) and press buttons 3 and 4... Something like that. It says "nudge" in little letters above two of the pads on the Maschine.
thanks, i will try this. there is also another feature i will try tomorrow, cause i dont have my equipment here:

1) Load a sound and go in step mode
2) Make a few steps
3) select a step by pressing and holding the pad -dont let go
4) turn the swing knob in the master section
- now the note will move with small increments outside grid, controlled with a knob.

And while we are at it, press and hold a step and turn volume in the master section and you adjust volume.

(found in the native instruments forum)
Oh, ok I guess you found the answer and my above post was brought to you by The Redundancy Department :-)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

jkob wrote:
jkob wrote:
aioffermann wrote:If I remember correctly, for Maschine, you select a pad and then and then hold down select (or shift???) and press buttons 3 and 4... Something like that. It says "nudge" in little letters above two of the pads on the Maschine.
Tried this, but the nudge function is to nudge a note in a grid, so it isnt what i want.

Good news, but only for maschine: This feature works!

1) Load a sound and go in step mode
2) Make a few steps
3) select a step by pressing and holding the pad -dont let go
4) turn the swing knob in the master section
- now the note will move with small increments outside grid, controlled with a knob.

And while we are at it, press and hold a step and turn volume in the master section and you adjust volume.

(found in the native instruments forum)

In Maschine it works like a charm with the points 1-4. This is a really cool feature for machine. for geist it didn´t work, because (and thats really weird) i cant assign midi to the shift function (WHY NOT?). Anyway, i will stick onto my maschine, although i really like geist with its features.
Can't you load Geist as a vst into Maschine?! (I don't have it, so I don't know)

And while I'm at it: You are aware that the same process (holding pad - twiddling knob) allows you to change almost every other parameter of Maschine on a per step basis?!

(Something that Push won't do - and until it does will not even be considered by me :-( )

PS: it seems though that the recorded per step automation is not nudged in the same way as the Midi note is. You might want to pay attention to that (It never effected me too much though)

jkob

Post by jkob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
jkob wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Maschine can do this and it's very intuitive.
really? how?
I have maschine and i am quite familar with it, but didn´t find this kind of trick.
Only 50% quantize, and whole quantize.
Nothing with kind of shifting notes to left or right.
Ok, I'm getting a little confused, maybe I didn't understand correctly what it is you are trying to do.

I thought your wish is to use a controller to
1st: step sequence your notes (e.g. triggering drum samples) and
2nd: use the controller to nudge certain notes independent of the grid?!

If so, the answer is quite easy:
1: Go into step mode
2: enter notes (according to grid quantization)
3: press entered notes (lid up pads) lightly (and keep pressed and turn (Time) knob.

The note will now be moved left/right in 100th of the chosen grid pattern.
If you move past 1/50th the light of the lid up pad will move to the next pad.

Easy-Peasy

If you meant something totally different and more advanced -excuse my ignorence
Yeah. This is exactly, what i figured out today and its exactly what i wanted. Like i wrote a post before. It works perfect. Though only in machine, but this is what i am searching for. would be nice to have this feature in most of drummachines like geist, spark etc. not only in machine. And when you turn tempo its changing the pitch of every step and also the volume acts for the velocity. really handy.. Thnaks for your time and reply..

jkob

Post by jkob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Can't you load Geist as a vst into Maschine?! (I don't have it, so I don't know)

And while I'm at it: You are aware that the same process (holding pad - twiddling knob) allows you to change almost every other parameter of Maschine on a per step basis?!

(Something that Push won't do - and until it does will not even be considered by me :-( )

PS: it seems though that the recorded per step automation is not nudged in the same way as the Midi note is. You might want to pay attention to that (It never effected me too much though)
I tried this (vst Geist in Maschine) but the problem is, that you have to trigger geist in the pad mode (like a synth in a pianoroll). while you can get the sounds out of geist, but you cant shift the notes individually, because in the pad-mode (keyboard) you have for example Kick and hihat on the same pad (cause of the pianoroll), so you cant shift them individually, and i dont want for example 8 instances to seperate the sounds to shift them (pad one geist-vst kick, pad 2 geist-vst snare etc, to shift the notes with the "button-holding-down+swing-knob-turning-feature). Hope this is not to confusing in explaining, its a hard task to describe :). hope you understand what i mean.

jkob

Post by jkob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:28 pm

lowshelf wrote:jkob: aioffermann is right, Push's nudge is for pushing a drum left or right in micro-adjustments - off the grid, John Connor style. The excellent video at [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xxWdvot ... Wg&index=2 ] covers this around the 3:00 mark.

It might seem a little vague, but in the video it's in the context of quantization/swing, but for specific (held) pads. You can hear the adjusted second snare doesn't jump around the grid, it just gets moved subtly.
Yeah. Great one. So maybe i switch and waiting for push (though i am a little bit disappointed about the upgrade and price policy, but thats another case).
This feature means a lot to me. And i got anyway an eye on push. Thanks for the video! its nice to see some feature in action, and not as a promo-thing.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

jkob wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:

I tried this (vst Geist in Maschine) but the problem is, that you have to trigger geist in the pad mode (like a synth in a pianoroll). while you can get the sounds out of geist, but you cant shift the notes individually, because in the pad-mode (keyboard) you have for example Kick and hihat on the same pad (cause of the pianoroll), so you cant shift them individually, and i dont want for example 8 instances to seperate the sounds to shift them (pad one geist-vst kick, pad 2 geist-vst snare etc, to shift the notes with the "button-holding-down+swing-knob-turning-feature). Hope this is not to confusing in explaining, its a hard task to describe :). hope you understand what i mean.
I dont really see the problem about that.
You load one instance of Geist on one pad.
You assign a midi note to each of your desired samples in Geist
Then you go into keyboard mode in Maschine and start the step sequencer.
Now when you enter steps in the sequencer it will use the note that you assigned as Base Key to input lets say C3= Kick. After you entered all your Kicks you change the Base Key to lets say D3=HiHat and enter your HiHats and so on.
The only problem may arise if your Kick and HiHat notes are on the same step. But if you press Grid and change the Grid size you get a much finer resolution of your steps and that problem shouldn't arise.
(I actually go about this a little differently: I go into Keyboard mode where now the 16 pads play 16 different samples - just as they would in Maschines "normal" mode where you load 16 samples to 16 pads - hit Rec and enter my drums life. Then I go into Step mode and adjust everything to my liking)
The nice thing about this approach is that now the Pitch dial will actually not change Pitch of your sample (for drums not so useful anyways) but the sample. So if you assigned several different Kicks to different Midi notes you can "Browse" them in place.
I do this with 128s in Maschine all the time (I have for instance all Analog Kicks I liked from the Maschine library in one Sampler Module) and don't wanne work any different any more :-) Try it, its awsome