OT: Snowboarding... as in riding... snowboards...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ian_halsall

Re: OT: Snowboarding... as in riding... snowboards...

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:25 am

simmerdown wrote:i find untracked days after the storm, but i also dont mind crazy-tight tree lines to find 5 good turns, then a long traverse out, or even a walk/swim across some flat

forget shawn white, travis rice is the man....any of you netfickers have to see The Art of Flight, current state of the best of backcountry freestyle, much of it shot in AK and BC

teaser...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDDBiPE ... ture=share
trees = danger - don't go on your jack

tree wells are so dangerous - saw someone lifted out on the heli dead last year right in front of me in Whistler on the trail up to Seventh

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:53 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
simmerdown wrote:i find untracked days after the storm, but i also dont mind crazy-tight tree lines to find 5 good turns, then a long traverse out, or even a walk/swim across some flat

forget shawn white, travis rice is the man....any of you netfickers have to see The Art of Flight, current state of the best of backcountry freestyle, much of it shot in AK and BC

teaser...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDDBiPE ... ture=share
trees = danger - don't go on your jack

tree wells are so dangerous - saw someone lifted out on the heli dead last year right in front of me in Whistler on the trail up to Seventh
don't know what 'on your jack' means!...but i keep my cell in my chest pocket with ski patrol on speed dial, lol...without some danger i would quit! i take lines i can barely squeeze through on the daily

whistler is one of my bucketlist dreams, which is dumb ive never been up there, its only 5-6 hours away...

shot o the day, another sunny, cold (3 degree F, w/o the wind chill) pow day today

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 am

You back-country riders (skiers and boarders, both) need to read this again:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:51 am

Whistler is a blast, Blackcomb too. There's some crazy good deals up there in the Spring for condo/lift packages, so my friends and I have been doing Blackcomb in April and having a great time. Good snow for that late in the year, and there's something unreal about being able to ride down Blackcomb Glacier with no tracks in front of you.

Honestly, the ONLY downside of Whistler IMO is the cost of everything in the Village. Food, gear, alcohol (especially), etc is all crazy there year round. Bring your own beer (twice what you think you need ;) ) and that helps though.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am

on your Jack = on your own "Jack Jones".

Off to Whistler end of March for 11 days again this year - I think we went there the last 4 years Easter.

Always a total blast - half the days it snows like 6 inches per day and the rest it starts to melt - but when you have like 10 meters base it's still amazing fun coming down to the village aqua-planing through the slush building up the Chipmunk goggle tan!

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:46 am

Tarekith wrote:Whistler is a blast, Blackcomb too. There's some crazy good deals up there in the Spring for condo/lift packages, so my friends and I have been doing Blackcomb in April and having a great time. Good snow for that late in the year, and there's something unreal about being able to ride down Blackcomb Glacier with no tracks in front of you.

Honestly, the ONLY downside of Whistler IMO is the cost of everything in the Village. Food, gear, alcohol (especially), etc is all crazy there year round. Bring your own beer (twice what you think you need ;) ) and that helps though.
Yeah - food is stupid expensive in Whistler - even in the supermarkets - Nesters and Market Place - a loaf of bread is like 3 GBP or something daft.

BC==Bring Cash

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:28 pm

we get loads of Canadians coming down from Calgary and further, for whom Lake Louise and Whistler would have to be much closer, i guess that explains it, that everything is relatively cheap here

looking at another high pressure, super cold morning, looks like we might head into another week of very little fresh,,,oh well! as long as it stays cold, nothing worse than a big rainstorm in Jan., which has happened

goin up with my boys today, gonna use the new helmet cam....

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am

especially since the Loonie got so expensive.

Calgary is horribly cold and quite bleak.

At least Vancouver is a nice town to fly through - if you can see it through all the rain!

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:40 pm

ive always had such great visits to calgary (for trade shows)..nearest 'big' city to me disregarding borders...and there's a great Indian place, haha

snowboarding is going all urban street now, one branch of it anyway, this shits Crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOejhYxN_k0

XGames start in 10 days! aspen

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:14 pm

simmerdown wrote:ive always had such great visits to calgary (for trade shows)..nearest 'big' city to me disregarding borders...and there's a great Indian place, haha

snowboarding is going all urban street now, one branch of it anyway, this shits Crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOejhYxN_k0

XGames start in 10 days! aspen
:lol: ^^^^^awesome!!! im too old for that sort of thing anymore. but its fun to watch!! wow!
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm

yeh, it's actually a new event for Xgames '13...Snowboard Street...looks like some of the drunken dumbshit we used to do in the sideyard of our apt. building like 20 yrs ago, lol..theyre much better

machine+1

Post by machine+1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 pm

In need of some advice here. Heading to Tahoe for 4 days in early February with the family (4 adults, 1 infant) and I'm trying to decide where to go. I've only been snowboarding in the area once before (Heavenly) and I really didn't like it-- way too many flat traverses, poorly laid out lifts. A lot of folks like Northstar it seems, I thought Sugar Bowl looked nice but kind of isolated... Thoughts?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:10 pm

simmerdown wrote:yeh, it's actually a new event for Xgames '13...Snowboard Street...looks like some of the drunken dumbshit we used to do in the sideyard of our apt. building like 20 yrs ago, lol..theyre much better

Ungh, seriously, that's going to be in Xgames now? I don't get the whole street jib thing, just use a skateboard. :)

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:
simmerdown wrote:yeh, it's actually a new event for Xgames '13...Snowboard Street...looks like some of the drunken dumbshit we used to do in the sideyard of our apt. building like 20 yrs ago, lol..theyre much better

Ungh, seriously, that's going to be in Xgames now? I don't get the whole street jib thing, just use a skateboard. :)
yeh, i think they are doing some really cool stuff, crazy shit like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... pd1I4sXEGw

BUT, it doesn't translate well to the controlled contest format, the one i saw was Boring...but its one direction the sport is going in so Xgames want to draw as many new viewers etc as possible....same reason snowboarding is even in the olympics at all, getting the new viewers...btw, Slopestyle (not street) is going to be an olympic event next time, for just the same reason

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 pm

shot o the day from yesterday, we got another 6-12", which meant 24" in places