Livesets made up of smaller livesets

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
marra

Livesets made up of smaller livesets

Post by marra » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 am

Requesting the possibility to split up my livesets into smaller parts that I can more easily reuse elsewhere.
I.e. mytrack.als is made up of mytrack_drums.als, mytrack_bass.als, mytrack_pads.als etc. - and also - mytrack_master.als.

I find it difficult having to load up an older fully mixed liveset and start exporting stuff out and back into the new liveset every time I get an idea.

This concept of reuse and avoiding duplicates is also common in computer programming:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_repeat_yourself

pepezabala

Re: Livesets made up of smaller livesets

Post by pepezabala » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:19 am

you can drag any part of a liveset into the left hand file browser. live will then save this part as a new liveset. Live should ask you wether to make copies of your files or not.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 am

You can already do this.

If you navigate to a live set in your browser, you can either drag the whole thing in, or unfold it and drag in individual tracks.

marra

Post by marra » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:05 am

Yeah but you still have to import these parts into the main liveset, you can't instruct the liveset to use the separate files directly (and then update these separate files whenever you make changes) which is what I'm hoping to do.

I like to have separate files that I can easily drag and drop into other projects - but I dislike having duplicates of them (i.e. mytrack_drums.als and the same drum track in the main mytrack.als) - because if I've reused it in a bunch of other livesets and all of a sudden I wanna change the pattern a little, or add one extra plugin to its chain, then I gotta spend all day updating it in all my other livesets.

I hope this makes sense..

thx..

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 am

you mean like sub sequences in a non linear video editing software?

marra

Post by marra » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:you mean like sub sequences in a non linear video editing software?
haha maybe idk :P

i know it can be compared to html partials in web development though: http://ryanfunduk.com/simple-partials/