Noise Reduction without external plugins

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LiquidSoul

Noise Reduction without external plugins

Post by LiquidSoul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 am

Hi! Can I achieve noise reduction in Ableton Live without external plugins? Probably playing with the phase of the noise sample?

cheakypawl

Re: Noise Reduction without external plugins

Post by cheakypawl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am

LiquidSoul wrote:Hi! Can I achieve noise reduction in Ableton Live without external plugins? Probably playing with the phase of the noise sample?
if it is constant and exactly repeating (highly unlikely) and you have the exact noise independent of the mixed noise, then yes, you will get some reduction.
what kind of noise is it?
OSX 11.7.2, MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2015), Live 11

LiquidSoul

Post by LiquidSoul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 am

cheekypaul wrote:if it is constant and exactly repeating (highly unlikely) and you have the exact noise independent of the mixed noise, then yes, you will get some reduction.
Thank you! It's a background noise from microphone which sounds constant.
I've tried this:
  • 1st track - the speach with pauses and noise.
    2nd track - a looped piece of pause in the speach with that noise + utility with switched on right and left phase buttons.
    Both of them like this into master track.
Didn't help.

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:04 pm

LiquidSoul wrote:
cheekypaul wrote:if it is constant and exactly repeating (highly unlikely) and you have the exact noise independent of the mixed noise, then yes, you will get some reduction.
Thank you! It's a background noise from microphone which sounds constant.
I've tried this:
  • 1st track - the speach with pauses and noise.
    2nd track - a looped piece of pause in the speach with that noise + utility with switched on right and left phase buttons.
    Both of them like this into master track.
Didn't help.
noise from a mic won't be constant and unchanging. it may sound like it is, but it's not enough to get results this way.

is it hum? or noise, like 'air' or 'hiss'?
will other tracks be mixed with it?
how clean does it need to be? you can do some eq'ing, look at a frequency chart for the human voice, very little under 150-300hz for human speech. and then some important spikes at around 4k and 8k, little beyond that for intelligibility.
check the read out using the spectrum plug.

you might need to buy something for better results over eq'ing, depends on your needs.
mac or pc?

LiquidSoul

Post by LiquidSoul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:11 pm

cheekypaul wrote:is it hum? or noise, like 'air' or 'hiss'?
how clean does it need to be? you can do some eq'ing, look at a frequency chart for the human voice, very little under 150-300hz for human speech. and then some important spikes at around 4k and 8k, little beyond that for intelligibility.

you might need to buy something for better results over eq'ing, depends on your needs.
mac or pc?
It's like constant hum. I remember seeing some plugins which could do noise reduction if you feed a noise sample to them. Probably their algorithms are more complicated than I thought. I just need to clean one track with noise in speach, then I'll mix it with one translation track. Could you recommend some good PC vsts with such functionality?

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 pm

LiquidSoul wrote:
cheekypaul wrote:is it hum? or noise, like 'air' or 'hiss'?

mac or pc?
It's like constant hum. I remember seeing some plugins which could do noise reduction if you feed a noise sample to them. Probably their algorithms are more complicated than I thought. I just need to clean one track with noise in speach, then I'll mix it with one translation track. Could you recommend some good PC vsts with such functionality?
sounds like, for this project, you should try a demo that allows you to use it fully for a limited amount of time.
before i recommend, how long is the piece that needs cleaning?

LiquidSoul

Post by LiquidSoul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:28 pm

cheekypaul wrote:sounds like, for this project, you should try a demo that allows you to use it fully for a limited amount of time.
About 1 hour.

cheakypawl

Post by cheakypawl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 pm

LiquidSoul wrote:
cheekypaul wrote:sounds like, for this project, you should try a demo that allows you to use it fully for a limited amount of time.
About 1 hour.
i use izotope rx2
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

LiquidSoul

Post by LiquidSoul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 pm

cheekypaul wrote:
LiquidSoul wrote:
About 1 hour.
i use izotope rx2
http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/
Thank you very much!

Vios

Post by Vios » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 am

For the next project find a way to record with less noise? Are you using a high quality audio interface? microphone? pre-amp? If you have good equipment in a quiet room, it should be easy to work around without the noise being noticeable.