Cant stop keyboard playing midi clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

Cant stop keyboard playing midi clips

Post by dilshan89 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey guys, I midi mapped a track's clips to my MPD32, and that worked great. Hooked up my keyboard, and the pads on the midi keyboard also trigger the clips somehow, even though I didn't ask it too. This would be fine if I knew how to stop these pads triggering the clips, but I don't. And to make it even worse, some keys on the keyboard trigger the clips too, and I definitely don't want that because now I can't play anything on the keyboard without triggering these clips. What should I do?

Thanks

yur2die4

Re: Cant stop keyboard playing midi clips

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:31 pm

They are on the same midi channel.

Change the keyboard to a different one.

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey thanks for your reply. I'm a bit of a novice. How do I do that?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 pm

It is probably in the manual for the keyboard. Or you can change the channel of your other device, but afterward, it would require you to remap everything (unless you're using a script, then you lose functionality).

Right now your keyboard and device both send midi Notes. If they both use the same note, and you assign it on one, then whenever you hit that same note, it does the same thing on the other device. When you do the mapping, you can see two numbers. The midi channel number and the control change or note number.

One channel will only have one span of 128 max keys.

But if you use another midi channel, it gives you 128 fresh extra keys to use. There are 16 midi channels. Chances are, your devices are both set to channel 1 right now.

Definitely find the manuals and learn how to change it on whichever device you want.

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey sorry about this. Looked in the manual and I can't find anything about changing midi channels. Is it something I have to do on the keyboard itself? Or through Ableton? Or in my computer's control panel? Heres the manual anyway, would you mind having a look as maybe I've misunderstood

http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/si ... guide2.pdf

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm

That is the getting started manual.

Two things:
If you are using the keyboard in Automap mode, then you would change channels from Automap.

On the buttons near the display is one button called MIDI Chan. That probably has something to do with it :)

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Thank you that really worked well. Although now I've decided to map the clips to the pads on the keyboard instead, but not only have the clips mapped to the pads, they've also mapped to the keys. How do I stop this from happening.

And in addition, is there anyway to only launch the clips using the pads when the track is activated? Because right now the pads (and unfortunately keys) launch the clips regardless of whether that track is activated

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 pm

That starts getting a little more complicated. But for starters, I would change the channel of the pads only.

As for selecting tracks and stuff, that is really messy. My best suggestion is to map the play button at the bottom of each channel that is in Session View (next to track status ie chart looking thing), and then while in map mode in the scene launch section, some extra buttons come up. Up, down, and a number for knobs or faders. When you map those play buttons, you will trigger any clips that are on the highlighted scene.

Try it out :). Fun experiment!

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:48 am

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm having trouble figuring out how to change the channel of the pads only. I can't find the details in the manual...

http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/si ... -guide.pdf

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:26 am

Page 19 for how to configure, maybe pages 17 and 18. Page 39 shows what parameters to expect to edit. Take your time and get used to it, one pad at a time :)