How to make more realistic snare rolls ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shakas

How to make more realistic snare rolls ?

Post by shakas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 pm

I recorded a midi track with a v-drum kit through abletons drum rack...the drum kit samples sounded pretty realistic. I've got the velocity sensitivity and release up to give it a more natural sound. But there is a part in the song with a 16th note snare roll accented whenever the kick drum hits and it sounds too fake/unnatural just for that part ?

can anyone give me some tips on how to make it sound more real/natural ?
I've tried changing the snare sample...i tried moving the little velocity bars by hand (pulling the accented hits up...and leaving the rest down a bit) but it still doesn't cut it.

thanks for any help.

H20nly

Re: How to make more realistic snare rolls ?

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 pm

i can't... sorry. :(

BUT.... i am looked forward to the responses you get!

*bookmark*

shakas

Post by shakas » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:53 pm

haha. i'm sure it will be filled with overwhelming amounts of politeness and assistance.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:07 pm

selurovlov wrote:copypaste
something something wrong end of the drumstick! *snarerollcrash!*

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm

which drum rack kit are you using? if it's one of the 'lite' kits, they only tend to have 3 samples per pad, so you're bound to get pretty drastic machinegun effects with your rolls. the full kits are better but can still suffer that fake sound. also, the Live kits are made with Simplers, not multisample Samplers, so there's not much scope for editing them. basically the best way to banish that phony roll is to have 20 or more (128?!) snare samples per Sampler device, and use the velocity to switch them, rather than the velocity controlling volume. that way a diff sample is triggered each time. obv not many people can be arsed making a 128 snare Sampler :)
i made a a snare rack with a friend's snare drum that had 32 samples, one ofr every 4 velocity steps, and that was pretty passable as a real snare.
other options are you can mess with slight pitch alterations per hit, or stick a freq shifter device after the snare and automate it in time with the hits for variation, but they're just workarounds really, and won't convince you or anyone else. would be happy to be proved otherwise though!

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:50 am

I've got a pretty serious problem with snare buzz on my electronic kit too. :roll:

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:39 am

I guess you've already tried turning off grid and heavy clip-enveloping the drum roll.

On the other hand...

It's just a snare roll for gods sake. Sample it from somewhere and get over it. Probably nobody will ever notice...

That's what I would be saying to myself if I were you, but I don't think I would listen. ;)