Is the AKAI MPD32 compatible with Ableton Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JukeBox Visionary

Is the AKAI MPD32 compatible with Ableton Live 8?

Post by JukeBox Visionary » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 am

And if it is compatible with Ableton Live 8, does the AKAI MPD32 have a sound library? thanks so much for your help?

aioffermann

Re: Is the AKAI MPD32 compatible with Ableton Live 8?

Post by aioffermann » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 am

Hahaha. Yes it is compatible with Ableton. No it doesn't come with a sound library. MPD32 is a MIDI controller. MIDI controllers send signals to things that make sounds, to tell the what note to play. You can use the MPD32 to play an Operator, one of the synths included with Ableton. Or you can use it to play a drum rack, instrument rack, sampler, anything that takes MIDI signals.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 am

i can't add too much more to what aioffermann said, except the mpd32 is my favorite controller for LIVE. it takes some adjustment, both in the mpd and in live to get the sensitivity of the pads right. but for me it totally rules!
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

JukeBox Visionary

Post by JukeBox Visionary » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Thank you guys! But I was also thinking of using Maschine Mikro. If I made a beat on the Maschine, it doesnt just stay in the Maschine program does it? Like I can export it into my song right? And I am looking for a sound library and all that stuff and the maschine just seems fantastic. Also does Maschine work well with Live? Thanks!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm

You will love Maschine. But I'd very much recommend the regular mkii and not Mikro. Of course, it is all personal choice. The knobs are a really helpful factor.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Maschine is cool but don't get it yet! Learn more with Live+MPD32. There's alot more to learn than if you're just playing around on the Maschine. Plus once you get to grips with stuff you may realize Push is better for what you're looking for.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 pm

eddiex wrote:maschine+ableton=headaches
Nonsense. The MIDI connection issue mentioned here has already been fixed as already mentioned above.
eddiex wrote:i bought an mpd32....and i have never looked back.
If a MPD and Ableton had a dedicated hardware setup with Maschine's level of integration then there would be no need for Maschine. Using Live and a MPD doesn't come anywhere close to those aspects of Maschine, even with custom scripts, as it will lack the total integration like Maschine which allows you to be mouse-free and even lets you turn off the computer screen if you want to. Part of the beauty and workflow feel of Maschine is the disconnected feel it allows for. It gives you that focused feel by allowing to work so well from a centralized point with minimal deviation. In contrast, Live + MPD (or even APC40/Launchpad) will still force you to click around with the mouse/trackpad quite a bit.
tintala wrote:Push looks much more dynamic and useful.
Live + Push will be no match for Maschine when it comes to a mouseless hands-on workflow. Push doesn't even compare to Maschine in that department at all because you can't even slice from the Push controller, you can't see waveforms or slices on the Push's LCD, you can't duplicate pads from the Push controller...etc. Not to mention that Push also doesn't even automap to plugins and can't do step automation (Elektron-style step parameter locks), and would still force you to click around with a mouse for a lot of little things like opening/closing plugin windows.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 am

Humnumb, are you paid by NI to constantly spam this same info repeatedly? If not I'd seek some help.

Don't listen to this guy he's a shill.

JukeBox Visionary

Post by JukeBox Visionary » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 am

But one of the reasons I want Maschine is the sound library, but I can live without it and the MPD is more within my price range so should I lean twords the MPD32 or the Akai MPD Studio?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 am

Agree with everything humnumb said above. Maschine is a no brainer.

What is odd is certain characters popping into every thread mentioning Maschine just to complain about a bug that's already been fixed in the last update.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:27 am

delicioso wrote:Agree with everything humnumb said above. Maschine is a no brainer.

What is odd is certain characters popping into every thread mentioning Maschine just to complain about a bug that's already been fixed in the last update.
They haven't fixed the fact(?) that all groups send midi through the same channel no matter how you configure Maschine, have they?

EDIT: This isn't sarcasm, I just haven't followed and Maschine news since I returned mine a few months ago.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 am

:D delicioso, actually, this post originally had nothing to do with maschine.
the only reason i have any thing against maschine at all is because i spent some time with it ,pre bug fix, trying to get it to work right with ableton and logic. i don't care what it can do now, i' ve already got a better set up.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm

eddiex wrote:i don't care what it can do now
Ok. It's just weird you keep popping into every thread to complain about an already fixed bug. :wink:

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 pm

aioffermann wrote:They haven't fixed the fact(?) that all groups send midi through the same channel no matter how you configure Maschine, have they?
Not sure why people keep bringing up misinformation as "facts". It's not true at all that "all groups send midi through the same channel no matter how you configure Maschine". Maschine never had such a problem.

If you read the manual, you would have known about midi batch setup. You can quickly see which channel a group is responding to by checking the midi info on a pad/sound within that group. Right click on the pad and go to sound midi settings, it will show you the channel it's on.

You may also be confused about the fact there is a one channel limitation for midi output in Live due to the way Live handles plug-in midi which has nothing to do with Maschine.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 pm

humnumb wrote:
aioffermann wrote:They haven't fixed the fact(?) that all groups send midi through the same channel no matter how you configure Maschine, have they?
Not sure why people keep bringing up misinformation as "facts". It's not true at all that "all groups send midi through the same channel no matter how you configure Maschine". Maschine never had such a problem.

If you read the manual, you would have known about midi batch setup. You can quickly see which channel a group is responding to by checking the midi info on a pad/sound within that group. Right click on the pad and go to sound midi settings, it will show you the channel it's on.

You may also be confused about the fact there is a one channel limitation for midi output in Live due to the way Live handles plug-in midi which has nothing to do with Maschine.
There's a reason I put a question mark after "fact", man. I'm not being aggressive, no need for you to be either. However, I will you give you that I've worded that pretty badly. Very badly. Yes it's a fault on Ableton's side. Yes I was referring to Ableton's one-channel limitation with plugins. Yes I know about MIDI batch setup. Yes I read the manual. Yes I always read the manual. And yes this is a discussion about integrating Maschine and Ableton, right? Not a discussion on Maschine standalone use.

EDIT: Again, my wording. I need to take an English class or something. You weren't being aggressive, but turn down the heat a bit man.