Rewind fast-forward through remote control in Arrange view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chris J

Rewind fast-forward through remote control in Arrange view

Post by Chris J » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Been using Live since V3, I've tried many times to find a way to rewind/ fast forward with a control surface but I can only access the commands on screen (ie. Play, Stop, record )
Been reading similar questions for years without finding any answers.

Is it true than ten years down the line you still can't move your cursor without using the mouse ?

I'm about to give up on searching for the Nth time, so thanks if you know how
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Chris J

Re: Rewind fast-forward through remote control in Arrange view

Post by Chris J » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm

bump

can you move the position in arrange mode through MIDI, without clicking with the mouse where you want to go

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 am

it definitely can be done.

the standard UserConfiguration.txt files have parameters for rewind and fast-forward.

and with a Mackie Control you can rewind/fast-forward and use the scrub wheel.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 pm

fishmonkey wrote:it definitely can be done.

the standard UserConfiguration.txt files have parameters for rewind and fast-forward.

and with a Mackie Control you can rewind/fast-forward and use the scrub wheel.
Indeed.

It can be done but with a control surface. The MCU is the perfect tool for full control (a few mods and I can FF/REW/Zoom/Highlight/Select/Cut/Copy/Paste/scroll etc etc. To have most of the same functionality you can use an Alphatrack which has FF/REW and all the track controls for a single track with a pot to adjust through tracks. Kind of like a single fader MCY. Real handy over on the other side of the room

The MPD32 can also FF/REW through tracks when conected as a control surface but unlike the MCU which can FF continously while holding the button, the MPD only goes 1 click so it's a pain.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks so much guys !!!

the userconfig.txt is the one I have to look into, I'm using a UC33e , and just need to scroll back or forth, play , record.

the MCU is nice but way too pricey and big, thanks for the infos!

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm lost :

in the 'Resources/MIDI Remote script/_Tools' there's the 'UserConfiguration.txt' file you mentionned.
There's also 'InstantMappings-HowTo.txt' which explains where to put your own UserConfiguration.txt
it says :
1. Create a directory in 'User Remote Scripts'. The name of the directory will show up in the
list of Control Surfaces in Live.
Naming: The name of the directory should not
start with '_' or '.'.
there's no 'user Remote scripts' folder. Only a '_UserScript' folder, in which I've created my own directory (named 'test'), in which I pasted the customized UserConfiguration.txt

Opened Live, and there's no 'test' folder in the surface control list.

If I put the 'test' folder directly in the 'MIDI remote Scripts' folder, it is then listed in the Control Surfaces list in Live, but when chosen as a control surface ( with input set properly) none of the customized mappings are working in Live.

So do you guys know what is the procedure to use customized instant mappings ? where to put the userconfiguration.txt ?
thanks!

marine289

Post by marine289 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:21 pm

On Windows (7 x64) the UserConfiguration.txt is located in:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.0.6\Preferences\User Remote Scripts

I'm looking for the same scrollwheel functionality in the timeline. Would be nice to zoom in and out as well with an encoder or fader. Have you (or anyone else) got it working like that?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Using something like Bome MIDI Translator its possible. Probably possible with some M4L magic. Apart from changing some of the functionality of my MCU I have also mapped Zoom buttons to my Kensington mouse to zoom in/out so using both the scroll wheel and zoom buttons on the mouse its possible to jump round all over the shop.

Would be great if there was a simple way to set functions like that and change key mappings but I use Bome for so many things so it's no big deal.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 pm

It should be possible with Clyphx, too.

And there's definitely a function in the live API that allows it (it might be 'jump') so it's simple enough to not have to resort to magic.
ImageImage