InstantMapping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chris J

InstantMapping

Post by Chris J » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm lost :

in the 'Resources/MIDI Remote script/_Tools' there's the 'UserConfiguration.txt' file

There's also 'InstantMappings-HowTo.txt' which explains where to put your own UserConfiguration.txt
it says :
1. Create a directory in 'User Remote Scripts'. The name of the directory will show up in the
list of Control Surfaces in Live.
Naming: The name of the directory should not
start with '_' or '.'.
there's no 'user Remote scripts' folder. Only a '_UserScript' folder, in which I've created my own directory (named 'test'), in which I pasted the customized UserConfiguration.txt

Opened Live, and there's no 'test' folder in the Control Surface list.

If I put the 'test' folder directly in the 'MIDI remote Scripts' folder, it is then listed in the Control Surfaces list in Live, but when chosen as a control surface ( with input set properly) none of the customized mappings are working in Live.

So do you guys know what is the procedure to use customized instant mappings ? where to put the userconfiguration.txt ?
thanks!

( there's a UC33e listed in the Control Surfaces list, but Live doesn't react to any of the UC33e controllers, whatever CC# I assign to the UC33e)
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Chris J

Re: InstantMapping

Post by Chris J » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:54 pm

bump

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Look in the C:\users directory. Takes a little digging. Make sure folders are not hidden.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 pm

thanks yur2die4!
crazy! these files are in "resources" too, found them after a long "CTRL-F", I stopped once it found them in resources, should have left it running

so much wasted time, thank you for helping !

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks Guys just managed to get my Kontrol X1 setup properly as a control surface. :D

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Ok, i'm having a similar problem, so rather than starting a new thread, I hope nobody minds if I hijack this one.

Yur2die4, I believe you've helped me on exactly the same thing before some time ago. I've since changed my computer but this time, I just cannot seem to get it going.

I've added a file in C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 7.0.18\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts for my UMA25S, to which i've also added the User Remote Script (I realise that's not where it needs to be but is there any harm doing it anyway?). My Soundcard now shows up in preferences/midi.

I've also added the file UMA25S including the relevant User Remote Script to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 7.0.18\Preferences\User Remote Scripts

However, this hasn't gotten it to work as it should.

Any suggestions?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Step by step.

First thing to check is, in the user remote scripts directory, did you create a directory called uma25s, and then place the remote script within?

After doing that, when you select from the drop down in remote surfaces, does uma25s show up at the bottom of the list as one of the selectable scripts?

That needs to work out first, before any further troubleshooting.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Step by step.

First thing to check is, in the user remote scripts directory, did you create a directory called uma25s, and then place the remote script within?

After doing that, when you select from the drop down in remote surfaces, does uma25s show up at the bottom of the list as one of the selectable scripts?
I did that and it didn't show up. So I added a UMA25S file to C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 7.0.18\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts which did then show up in the remote surfaces list.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 am

Excellent. The next step is confirming a few things.

I. That your midi device is available to select for input/output
II. That you are using the appropriate midi channel (keyboards use 1-16, but the script uses 0-15)
III. That you are using the appropriate cc#s (I test this by mapping the control that I intend to use to a random parameter in Live, and then writing down what it tells me is the channel and cc#)

Once I THINK I have everything set up, I test it.

I open a new set and drag a rack into a channel. Selecting it so that the blue hand comes up.

When I rotate a dial, a macro should move around. (The MIDI pick-up mode can trick you on this, try setting it to immediate).

In the chance that it does not work as expected, there are a few quick possible problems.

If the cc#s happen to be offset by any amount, hopefully in theory you'd have 8 sequential cc#s mapped for the macros, therefore if you were off by one or two, you'd still be able to rotate one of the middle knobs and get movement on Something.

If the channel is off, try switching to another midi channel on your controller, and hoping that this resolves it.

That is about the best advice I have for troubleshooting. The only other things that can get messy are a multi-channel row of knobs, or knobs that use a mode other than Absolute.

EDIT: I just reread your post. It really does need to be in Users.

Within the User Remote Scripts directory, you make a new folder with the name of your device. Inside that folder you have the txt file. Do not change the name of the txt file.

I hope you get this figured out. Good luck!

harikaram

Post by harikaram » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:16 pm

FYI on the mac the script needs to be in the this folder: /Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 9.2.2/User Remote Scripts
Musical Instruments, Evolved...
http://air-craft.co