Slight authentification change?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Good idea?

Yes, do it!
100%
No, it's bad.
No votes
I don't care.
No votes

Total votes: 9

hypermagic_mountain

Slight authentification change?

Post by hypermagic_mountain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Hello,

I think Ableton Live has one of the most easy to use authentification systems. There's only one problem: I like to change my hardware a lot and it may happen that I frequently format my hard drive. And I simply don't want to justify myself every time I do so.
What about that: Keep the authorization system, but add a feature in Ableton to delete the authentification for a computer. So I could just press a button ('Remove authentification now'), Ableton is now in Demo mode again, the Ableton servers know that I am uninstalling it and enable one of my two Unlocks again.
That way we'd have full control over our two installs. There'd be no disantvantages for Ableton or the users, and it should be very easy to make for the programmers.

Think about it, when you do it, you have easily the best authentification system of all the DAWs out there.

Thoughts?

Angstrom

Re: Slight authentification change?

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Thats pretty much the way Steam does it.
It's good.

You install steam on a different machine, you enter our username/pass key combo and that triggers an email that asks if you really want to transfer your authentication . Shifting it back is just the same. Easy.

hypermagic_mountain

Post by hypermagic_mountain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Angstrom wrote:Thats pretty much the way Steam does it.
It's good.

You install steam on a different machine, you enter our username/pass key combo and that triggers an email that asks if you really want to transfer your authentication . Shifting it back is just the same. Easy.
It's not exactly the same, since Steam only checks if your account may be hacked when you log in from another machine. You can use Steam and the Games in it on as many machines you want to. But it's about the same in terms easiness of usage, yes.

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

I am all in favor of this. I build my own machines and experience fairly regular failures/re-images. It's nerve-wracking to think that I only own two unlocks of Live in case of a major upgrade or accident, and I have no idea how lenient their system for "More unlocks" is.
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Eventful wrote:I am all in favor of this. I build my own machines and experience fairly regular failures/re-images. It's nerve-wracking to think that I only own two unlocks of Live in case of a major upgrade or accident, and I have no idea how lenient their system for "More unlocks" is.
It's pretty lenient but it relies on you emailing them, and them emailing you back.
Which seems a bit like sending a pigeon with a note tied to its leg

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 pm

good idea, waiting for an email answer is wasted time.