A few questions for Live 9 beta users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Upright

A few questions for Live 9 beta users

Post by Upright » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 am

I bought Live 8 suite a few months ago. I have Live 9 beta access but Ive opted not to install the beta because, I don't want to do an install now and then have to do another install once the full version releases. (I'm trying to keep my PC running as efficiently as possible) Another reason I haven't installed the beta is that I'm actually still learning the devices and functionally of Live 8 (which I'm assuming is very similar to Live 9)

Though I have to admit I'm beginning wondering if installing Live 9 beta will be worth the trouble...so bare with me,I have a few questions :)

For those of you coming from Live 8- What is most immediately noticeable about Live 9?

Which features/functions do you really enjoy using? In your opinion what's the "game changing" addition in Live 9

kinkajou

Re: A few questions for Live 9 beta users

Post by kinkajou » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Upright wrote: For those of you coming from Live 8- What is most immediately noticeable about Live 9?
at the very first look for me it was the entirely new look of Live (smooth and "cool" somehow ;) ) AND the new browser - complete overhaul, but much to improve yet

Upright wrote:Which features/functions do you really enjoy using?
the new EQ8 and The Glue (compressor)

Upright wrote:In your opinion what's the "game changing" addition in Live 9
imo the integration of Max4Live into Suite... 8)

Upright

Post by Upright » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the response. :)

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm

kinkajou wrote:The Glue (compressor)
I don't even know why, I'm absolutely psyched about The Glue compressor. I just feel like it's going to be the most delicious thing ever.
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Eventually you are going to be on L9.
The browser is the biggest change.
I would recommend getting use to that now so it's not so confusing coming from L8.
I find the updates to Compressor and EQ8 absolutely fantastic.
Ultimately my favorite new feature is Automation Recording in Session view.
Some minor GUI changes deal with Automation, I find it uber simple, others not so much.

Moving from the L9 beta to L9 full release should be a sinch,
for many, moving to L9 from L8 has been a struggle just over the browser, especially if you are big into large sample libraries, 3rd part sample packs etc.
However, the latest L9 beta seems to be offering solutions for those issues now.

I say go for it.

login

Post by login » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Recording automations in to clips is another game changer.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Coming from 8:
1. Session Automation!!!!!!!1!!1!!! (god dam finally, and it rocks)
2. New FX: EQ8 is a dream come true, and to think its an everyday tool.. Gosh.
+enhanced compressor and limiter, and the glue compressor sounds really good.

These are everyday tools that helps the workflow emensly. :)
Last edited by ze2be on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm

+1 to all the responses.

i like the Audio to MIDI feature a lot. the thing with that feature is that you have to be realistic... don't expect it to be perfect and don't expect it to plagiarize for you. use it to make your ideas a reality faster or to speed up simple aspects of song writing and it could make you as happy as it makes me.

Rdej

Post by Rdej » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Hey guys i'm thinking about picking up the standard version of live 8 with my education education, i'm wondering is it easy to get on the live 9 beta. These new features have seriously gotten me hooked on the possibilities.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

The biggest thing I like is the Audio to MIDI, mainly for getting melody lines in the system via my voice or via the guitar, which is always plugged in and ready to go. I don't play piano or keyboard (any good), but I do have a lot of synth sounds in some stuff I do. So yeah, knowing how to play something instantly in the guitar and laboriously transferring that via the piano roll could be painful. Now for the most part I just play it with my guitar, then do the AUDIO TO MIDI, and the MIDI is between 90-100% there to play with.

Also, I really like the addition of the spectrum behind EQ8 is. It's a small thing (seemingly) but it's a timesaver. Also the much steeper options for the high and low pass filters in EQ8 are great too.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Most useful changes in Live 9 for me:

1. Audio to MIDI, specifically for drums/rhythm parts.
2. Glue Compressor
3. Changes to EQ8.
4. MIDI editor changes (Duplicate Loop and Legato are the most useful features I didn't even realize I wanted)

Interestingly, I thought I would be using the Session Automation way more than I actually have been

Also enjoying lots of little things (individual track Return To Arrangement, single-click break points, etc.)

If you expect you'll be upgrading anyway, no reason not to install it. My only worry is that there will be a gap between when the beta closes and the actual Live 9 release drops, and I'll have to back to using 8

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Rdej wrote:Hey guys i'm thinking about picking up the standard version of live 8 with my education education, i'm wondering is it easy to get on the live 9 beta. These new features have seriously gotten me hooked on the possibilities.
the problem with getting too hooked on the beta is that beta copies expire. so if you create a track with the beta it will be in Live 9. if you don't buy Live 9 then you don't own anything that will play your tracks without crashing... especially if you use the new features.

the word beta is only synonymous with free software when you remember that there is an expiration date.

+ another 1 for spectrum analyzer behind eq8... perfect combo.

Upright

Post by Upright » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm going for the Live 9 Beta install tonight. Thanks for the help guys.

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

This all sounds pretty promising.

Anyone know what the deal is with using offline? As I understand it, live should be sending automatic bug reports and performance tracking. Do you need to be connected to use the beta, or can it store data to be sent when next online?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Game changers:
Session automation, study the manual to really get how to best use the session record button at the top of the screen.
Clip recording is a lot better, press session record, after the count in you start recording, press session record again and the clip stops recording and starts looping - - I don't know why, but the workflow is simply better than in 8
EQ8, its got this really good solo mode where can just hear the bit of the audio affected by the eq - really handy for cuts and notchs - where you know there is some audio gak you want to discard; now you can just scroll through the spectrum until you hear the bit you want to lose.