Beta9 uses Discrete GPU instead of Integrated

Pinemartin

Beta9 uses Discrete GPU instead of Integrated

Post by Pinemartin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi,

I'm using 8.4b9 on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.2.

I use gfxCardStatus (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33905/gfxcardstatus) to monitor the use of the GPU in order to extend battery life. I've become aware that 8.4b9 causes the MBP to use the discrete GPU rather than the integrated. This results in reduced battery life on occasions where an A/C power source isn't available for my MBP. Any chance Ableton could be tweaked so that it runs on the integrated GPU instead?

P.

h4nc0

Re: Beta9 uses Discrete GPU instead of Integrated

Post by h4nc0 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Pinemartin wrote:Hi,

I'm using 8.4b9 on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.2.

I use gfxCardStatus (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33905/gfxcardstatus) to monitor the use of the GPU in order to extend battery life. I've become aware that 8.4b9 causes the MBP to use the discrete GPU rather than the integrated. This results in reduced battery life on occasions where an A/C power source isn't available for my MBP. Any chance Ableton could be tweaked so that it runs on the integrated GPU instead?

P.

No way. It is supposed to run on the discrete GPU. If ran on integrated GPU, it will reduce available CPU cycles.

Pinemartin

Re: Beta9 uses Discrete GPU instead of Integrated

Post by Pinemartin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:47 pm

h4nc0 wrote:No way. It is supposed to run on the discrete GPU. If ran on integrated GPU, it will reduce available CPU cycles.
Are you sure that's the case? Perhaps it may reduce available bandwidth on the hybrid CPU's I/O, but I don't believe it requires any additional CPU cycles than a discrete GPU.

Rather than simply telling me I'm wrong, as can so often happen on forums, could I request that you cite a reliable source in any reply in which you attempt to justify your position?