All times are UTC

Post subject: novation launchpad ipad app.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:27 pm 

check 'er out
http://us.novationmusic.com/software/launchpad-app
so i guess i am confused as to how this works? it only works with ableton through the launchkey hardware?

Post subject: Re: novation launchpad ipad app.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm 

It has nothing to do with Ableton.

It is its own app that works by itself, with the option of quick access to controls via the keyboard.

They don't want to actually Say that it is an Ableton inspired app. But it seems pretty close :P

And if I'm not mistaken, it is free??

I have been wanting an iPad for ages now.... !!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 pm 

so weird that they wouldn't make it control ableton. (unless ableton shut them down, for PUSH's sake)
a lot of people get hyped up on the ipad as a production tool. it still seems like just a toy to me? at this point anyhow. am i wrong?
i have touch osc...and that seems alright. i don't use it often.
but all of the imaschine, impc, ielectribe, the moog apps and this new launchpad thing...are these just sketchpads or what? i wonder how many people, seriously integrate this stuff? just seems like a novelty?

Last edited by eddiex on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:20 pm 

i love the ipad....just not for music.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:22 pm 

eddiex wrote:
so weird that they wouldn't make it control ableton. (unless ableton shut them down, for PUSH's sake)
a lot of people get hyped up on the ipad as a production tool. it still seems like just a toy to me? at this point anyhow. am i wrong?
i have touch osc...and that seems alright. but all of the imaschine, impc, ielectribe, the moog apps and this new launchpad thing...are these just sketchpads or what? i wonder how many people, seriously integrate this stuff? just seems like a novelty?

The Lemur app is not a toy unless you considered the original Lemur a toy.

My initial impression of this app is there are already far more robust iPad options out there and it kills the main reason somebody would prefer a Launchpad, tactile hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:28 pm 

how is lemur compared to touch osc? what was the deciding factor in using it over touch?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 pm 

The iPad a toy?

Commodores were toys.
Vsts are 'toys', I mean, they're in the same ball park for processor demands. Especially the early ones.. ones which have helped create today's computer music production industry.

iPad has midi, low latency, internal audio routing, multichannel audio support, you can even glide keys individually in some apps.

The iPad's audio quality can't be in question, millions are listening to their iPods with little complaint.

The only tricky part is controlling whether or not you can repeat a performance.

There are those who play acoustic instruments that do not take computer and synth musicians seriously.

The same can be comparable for some who might not take iOS seriously as a contender for music.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm 

i guess maybe i wasn't clear. i wasn't saying the ipad was a toy.
i think touch osc is pretty awesome, lemur looked cool. (though i prefer a hardware controller and a mouse)
i was talking about apps like i-electribe and so forth. i don't feel those are serious music making apps. i think most of those apps. seem more like sketchpads, than anything...i doubt very seriously that you are going to have many people roll up to the recording studio, with an i pad,to cut a record.
i think if the ipad was comparable to a laptop/desktop, in sound and processing..we would have serious ableton, logic pro, pro tools etc. apps for it. in fact i would go so far as to say an ipad is more comparable to a computer from like 5 or 6 years ago, or something like that. its a dual core processor 1.4GHz with 1GB of RAM. no body would buy a laptop with those specs. now a days. most DAWs won't run properly on those specs.
i think the i pad has tremendous potential though. just not for a few years.

i feel like you might have been getting me wrong, i wasn't judging anyone who uses it...i was just questioning, because i don't use it myself....i have a different view of the ipad and those apps. but if that is the way you choose to do music, more power to you.
:lol: so cool your jetz yur! :wink:

Last edited by eddiex on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm 

I am definitely saying that, although it isn't an actual audio workstation (though, new apps like a cubase one are gradually putting that to the test), apps like ielectribe, sunrizer, Animoog, the DX fm app, etc, are the equivalent of buying a synth or vst, for 5 bucks. And in some ways more powerful and versatile.

The sound quality is probably only 16 bit, but that doesn't bother me.

The apps you mention are those intended for controlling computers. That is also really great, but it ignores an entire facet of the iPad's potential as a music making and performing device. The potential to make the sounds on something that is plugged into nothing. (Maybe a midi controller, or an audio interface like the apogee duet).

There is a reason why iPads are storming NAMM. Because there is huge potential for something that has only existed for a few years. It is not just a cheesy gimmick.

Edit: I remember back when I'd mention the potential of Ableton Live, years ago, and was so enthused about its unique properties. People thought I was a moron, for not preferring more sophisticated programs like Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic. Ableton was not even remotely considerable as a 'serious tool'. Today, it seems people are more enthusiastic about it haha

Last edited by yur2die4 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:34 pm 

oh snap...i made some changes to my previous post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 pm 

i agree, it has mad potential.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 pm 

I think its awesome! Cant wait to try it out!

https://soundcloud.com/modernmaestros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 pm 

it would be great if it could control Live

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 am 

Honestly I don't care if it can't control live, with apps like touchable why would you want launchpad as a controller. If only touchable had a midi clip editer and control over the arrangement view it would be so awesome. I sold my apc40 when I found touchable as I find it so easy and quick to work with, with many more options than the apc40. I do miss the hardware knobs and faders.
Of course the launchpad app is inspired by Live, as if it isn't when novation made the launchpad hardware specifically for Live! What I really want to see is some evolution and updates with the launchpad app. It needs to get audiobus support but more importantly it needs to receive and send midi clock. And it needs to have the ability to put your own loops and samples in there. Maybe they would be biting on Abletons style too much but who cares, not me. iPads will eventually become a very common thing to be used on stage for a lot of artists I think.

The launchkey hardware is really fun but launchpad app and launchkey app are toys to me until they have have full midi clock support and your own sample uploads. (Like loopyHD, this is a brilliant app that works great as a slave to anything that sends song start and stop midi clock messages, sorry Ableton but the abilities to ext sync as a slave to other gadgets is crap! how can a $10 app have it sorted out when you guys cant??
anyway i just had to mention that......In launchkey it's great how you can quickly change preset favourites with pads on the launchkey keyboard but you can't save your own presets which sucks as I've been looking for an ipad app that you can change to favorite presets via midi for a while. I have to use omnisphere in Live and use the omnisphere app to be able to do this.

iPads are awesome, I don't use their sounds yet in my production as I have much better vst's but that may change when the new audio pass through technology comes out in the iconectmidi2+ and 4+. If you haven't heard of these you should definitely check them out. I was chatting to the makers and they said they had the audio latency down to 2ms on their setup, this means you will be able to use iPad apps as vst's theoretically. I'm excited......just thought I'd share ;)