An all round solid EQ VST

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GDOGG

An all round solid EQ VST

Post by GDOGG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 am

Hi. Up until now I've stuck it out Eqing with ableton's own EQs. Was looking for suggestions for a good solid all rounder EQ plugin. I've looked at stuff like Universal Audio, PSP. I'm getting Izotope Ozone, reckon that'd be alright for most stuff?. Anyone using this? I'd also been looking at vst compressors, any suggestions for that would also be appreciated.

Cheers
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

H20nly

Re: An all round solid EQ VST

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:11 am

my suggestion would be to stick with EQ8. save the money that you will use for a new EQ and use it for the upgrade from Live 8 to 9.

EQ 8 in Live 9 has a spectrum analyzer behind it, aside from that what more do you need?

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:05 am

+1 for waiting for Live 9. The new EQ is awesome.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 am

Agreed, it's a really nice improvement over the current EQ8.

MEIC101

Post by MEIC101 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 am

Try FabFilter PRO-Q. Transparent, nice intuitive GUI. Lot's of settings.

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:49 pm

I was going to wait for live 9 for the eq.... But I went with fab filter anyways... It's got a lot of flexibility, can't be to sure about the new live eq because there is not much detailed info about it to make an informed decision. Yes it will be better than live 8 eq.. But that ones not great anyway,not hard to beat. IMHO. The new one looks great because the old one is so shitty.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 pm

i don't think that EQ8 is bad, but that's just me...

so, if you would like more info, and are not willing to try the beta, then at least check out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7dIkonCfFE

it's the Ableton Preview Event for Live 9. it speaks to the EQ and the changes to it along with other features.

mihai

Post by mihai » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:43 pm

eq8 is a great digital mix eq. if you're looking for some flavor or mastering eq then look at other options.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Voxengo GlissEQ has been my go to EQ this past year.

One of my favourite features is sending EQ/spectrum info from one instance to another and layering them to see where everything is sitting )

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Cytomic helped to redesign EQ Eight Live 9 think they added an analogue algorithm if you double click it you get some extra functions and a larger GUI.

Other than that DMG Audio Equick is the best EQ their is you can make it nearly full screen, its pure transparent, upto 32 bands.

Theirs another EQ from DMG Audio with everything EQ related in one coming out in about two months.

andy_cytomic

Post by andy_cytomic » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 am

XSIMan wrote:Cytomic helped to redesign EQ Eight Live 9 think they added an analogue algorithm if you double click it you get some extra functions and a larger GUI.

Other than that DMG Audio Equick is the best EQ their is you can make it nearly full screen, its pure transparent, upto 32 bands.

Theirs another EQ from DMG Audio with everything EQ related in one coming out in about two months.
The Live 9 EQ8 algorithm is the most advanced there is. It is a linear (ie doesn't adding drive) analog model of an SVF, so it has brilliant numerical properties and all parameters can be automated completely smoothly. This level of audio quality and smooth automation are not possible with any other EQ I know of.

If you don't have Live 9 and you want a linear EQ (ie one that doesn't add any drive) then I recommend the DMG EQ plugins, they don't ruin your audio like some other plugins, they have a good price, an easy to use interface. You need to leave all the settings alone for the length of a track through unless you want added artefacts.
The Glue, The Drop, The Scream - https://www.cytomic.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 am

Izotope Ozone is pretty good when you really figure it out. It can really help to pull out a mix but becuase it also does reverb, multi-band compression, limiter etc etc you can get lost quick or you can change things too much. Also it is quite a power hungry effect and does introduce a delay which could be annoying when you try and play a MIDI instrument (does for me at least).

I use one on master tracks often just to shape things but honestly for most basic EQ mixing (killing lows, highs or just small boosts in ranges) the EQ8 is fine and if Live 9 improves that I wouldn't see the need for something else in this department.

footsy

Post by footsy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 am

Fab filter pro-Q

I've used vaspen and izotope

By far I love pro-q more, it has a great spectrum. Neat colors easy to use and understand.

This is my opinion, but very much so worth ever penny I put in I got out.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

thecld

Post by thecld » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 am

Waves H-EQ is pretty good imho, it fuses digital eq + analog modelling eq (H-EQ = hybrid eq) + it's saturation section is very nice :mrgreen:

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:07 pm

I like using EQ8. EQ8 allows to cut the bass on some tracks, and boost the highs on others. Since it's native and not a VST, you can use as many instances as you like! I love EQ8!!!!
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex