Post subject: Re: Opinions on MIDI keyboards
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 pm 

Cheap, small but only 49 keys

New, cheap 61 keys and it seems good integration with ableton

Not so cheap, good keybed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:50 am 

Thanks for the infos.

Many of these I have come across and instantly love the look of them and all the controls but I know that most of the controls will be unused (as they are on my current keyboard) so I really want to throw money at the playing field than the bench.

The main reason I need to get a new keyboard isn't out of lust, but all the pots and faders are starting to send phantom signals because of 10 years of use and dust. I have dismantled the whole thing and air flushed it all but still get the odd issues from stupid pots. I have had to remove them from the remote in Ableton for this reason but I can always see Bomes MIDI activity flicking which is just annoying.

I'm thinking as much as I would love weighted keys it may not be the best for playing basslines and synth sounds so I might just hve to spend an arvo at the music store and play in their keyboard room which I love doing, but when surrounded by so many instruments and nice looking things I find it hard to leave without something and my wife will shoot me if I make any more unauthorised purchases.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 am 

jestermgee wrote:
I'm thinking as much as I would love weighted keys it may not be the best for playing basslines and synth sounds.

I purchased the CME 88 for practising keyboard skills and it worked great for that, getting the right muscles etc. quickly could feel the difference compared to doing the same on synth action, but that was it. Playing anything else than piano part was not ideal. Asked my keyboard player (top notch pianist) and she never uses hammer action keys for anything else than piano or Rhodes and that for my work (other than practice) I should get synth action. Followed her advice, got rid of the CME and dont miss it.

@ junodownloads

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 am 

rikhyray wrote:
jestermgee wrote:
I'm thinking as much as I would love weighted keys it may not be the best for playing basslines and synth sounds.

I purchased the CME 88 for practising keyboard skills and it worked great for that, getting the right muscles etc. quickly could feel the difference compared to doing the same on synth action, but that was it. Playing anything else than piano part was not ideal. Asked my keyboard player (top notch pianist) and she never uses hammer action keys for anything else than piano or Rhodes and that for my work (other than practice) I should get synth action. Followed her advice, got rid of the CME and dont miss it.

i agree. i have a CME UF-80, and the hammer action is definitely not well suited to playing fast synth or bass parts, it's just too slow.

@rikhyray: thanks for the warning about StudioLogic!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 am 

fishmonkey wrote:
@rikhyray: thanks for the warning about StudioLogic!

It is weird, most of those exquisite keyboard brands use Fatar keys, yet the original manufacturer never managed to get it right, since few years Fatar and Studiologic are "separate" companies, I guess not to ruin well earned high reputation of Fatar as world leader in manufacturing keybeds.

@ junodownloads

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:46 am 

Im starting to think I really need to do a lot more research and real testing. The main reason I want the weighted keys is for piano work which I do a lot of and am progressing more and more with. Playing on actual pianos feels and sounds so much better especially when playing softer pieces.

But thinking abouut all the other work that keyboard does with bass, drums etc I really need to be looking at a smaller one just for synth stuff. I'll be looking into some of the suggestions here in more detail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 am 

jestermgee wrote:
Im starting to think I really need to do a lot more research and real testing. The main reason I want the weighted keys is for piano work which I do a lot of and am progressing more and more with. Playing on actual pianos feels and sounds so much better especially when playing softer pieces.

But thinking abouut all the other work that keyboard does with bass, drums etc I really need to be looking at a smaller one just for synth stuff. I'll be looking into some of the suggestions here in more detail.

myabe go for a cheap digital piano from casio (the pravia line has good keybed) and then later add a midi controller with synth action keys.