All times are UTC

Post subject: Possible CPU issue?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 am 

Hey guys new here but not to ableton, been using live 8 for about a year and half now.

My problem is this: I use live for producing music, and I understand from reading a few other forums that the each track in ableton goes to just 1 CPU core in a multicore CPU, so stacking lots of mastering chains on a single track will result in high CPU usage. But recently I've been running into quite a few issues with maxing out my CPU and its causing problems.

My set up is Live 8 on windows 7 home premium,
intel i7 quad core 930 @ 3.45 GHZ (It is overclocked)
15gb DDR3 1600
nvidia 480 GTX 1.5gb (dunno if video card has anything to do with it but just in case)
presonus audio box USB external interface

My VSTs include Massive, FM8, etc basically the entire Komplete 8. I also use operator frequently for sounds. Usually I tend to use abletons built in audio effect plugins but sometimes I might use the Dada life sausage fattener, camel crusher, or sugarbytes WOW filter.

Now where I think the biggest problem coming in is the fact that I use Izotope Ozone 5 for mastering effects. And not just to the master either but freqeuntly I use its dynamic compressor, reverb and maximizer on individual midi tracks.
Generally, in a live set consisting of roughly 12 midi tracks, each with a VST such as massive, battery, or operator; a couple live audio effects such as side chain compressor or chorus; and about half of them having one or two Ozone plugins like the dynamics or maximizer; its practically impossible for me to turn the playback sample rate past 48000 or my CPU meter will become maxed out and ill have huge latency and feedback problems. Even at 48000 its still peaking at nearly 80% and causing me latency from the time I see the play bar cross a midi sequence to when it actually plays from my monitors. In addition, should I try to export the live set at a sample rate higher than 48000 I receive an “insufficient memory” error and live crashes.
I understand running lots of VSTs, and Ozone especially can really max out CPU usage in a hurry, but is there a way to make this run smoother at higher sample rates? Would upgrading to a more powerful CPU solve my problems? I’m perplexed that when attempting to export I get a memory error when I clearly have enough, it doesn’t seem to me like 15gb should be insufficient, even when running serious production plug ins.
Also I've been overlclocking my CPU with the stock intel fan for over a year now, but it has never presented any issues in anything other than live, could it be that my CPU is simply becoming burnt out?

Thanks so much for any help!

Post subject: Re: Possible CPU issue?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 am 

I believe a memory error on export is due to hard drive space? Don't quote me on that...

Have you tried changing the sample rate to what you want and then freezing some tracks?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 am 

I wasn't aware of the track freezing function actually, thanks for the tip I will give it a try. As for Hard disk space I have 300gb of free space so I doubt thats the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 am 

I assume that if you have 15GB of ram you mush have a 64bit OS. Are you using Live 64bit? If not I would installa and test with that so you can actually use all that RAM.

Izotope Ozone 5

Take that out of the equation. That plugin will introduce an unavoidable delay in your setup because it requires a lot of power to process audio. Ableton adjusts for this but you do get a much larger latency with that plugin.

Have you tried to increase your buffer size to allow more data to be loaded for processing to your soundcard? I don't think your CPU should matter but what is the stock freq of your CPU? I run a 2.6Ghz i7 overclocked to 3.6Ghz which works fine BUT it has a huge heatsink bolted too it with heatpipes (not sure what it is) but you really should have another heatsink if you overclock. PLUS, its also worthy to get some silver impregnated heatsink compound over the standard white stuff (just be careful as the stuff is conductive tso don't get it on any components.

It may be that you have a lot of polophony in your track that just maxes things out. Synths like Massive live up to their name. They require decent power and when you add a couple of instances that is a lot of numbers to crunch.

I get close to CPU limits sometimes with only about half a dozen synths but this is using some heavy chord driven synths and lots of layers. Just Freeze and keep going. Freeze is awesome because you can still go back and change things if you need.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am 

My basic advice is to not go full retard. I can very easily max out my CPU with a single instance of Predator by upping the oversampling to x32 and blasting chords, yet for most of my tracks I have around 6-10 synths running + effects + modular routing + mastering and only hit about 60% of proc. With you specs, there's no reason you should ever be short of proc, unless you're going full retard :x

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:47 am 

Hi,

I have:

Live 8
i7 with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD
Presonus AudioBox 44Vsl

I intende to play live with some vsts: true pianos, nexus, using some antares vsts effects for voice. I tried with Asio4all on my internal card (Realtek High definition Audio) and got no problem. Latency about 7 ms. Then I tried the Presonus Audio Box 44vsl(bought it some days ago) and I got much more latency, which make it impossible to use alive. I've already tried Roland Dual Capture with same results.
I suspect that using an USB audio interface will never result cos USB is a shared bus. Unfortunately laptop pcs stoped to have firewire ports so, I don't no what to do. Have y tried a firewire audio interface?